Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I talked to the tech (had a ridealong for another issue) he said he had never heard of the camera issue before, and that he would have to look into it. He also said that this Austin Y was the first he'd seen and was way more solidly put together than the ones he usually sees LOL so thats good I guess.

They ran a camera diagnostic, and showed OK, and then I think just didn't know what else to do and so said it checked out hardware wise and maybe a firmware thing.

They also ran out of time (I think they want to get car out in a set amount of time to meet their metrics) and were busy taking care of my other issues which they did fantastically so I'm a pretty happy camper for now. They said just to open a new service apt with just the camera thing and with timestamps when it happened so they can pull logs.

Reactions: CHILLIBAJJI
I got this fixed with the part # documented in this thread. I opened a request stating that FSD disengages with take over immediately and cabin camera covered displayed on screen. I also mentioned that through research, it may be possible the camera may need to be replaced with the new part number. They came out to run some diagnostics and then confirmed that the camera IR was not working. Scheduled a second appointment 2 weeks later to come by with the new part for installation. FSD working great now with no error / cabin camera covered error message anymore.

Also, forgot to mention that the 2 red dots on the camera are now visible if I hold my phone camera up to it (where they were not before). Additionally, viewing the in-cabin camera via the App shows a much brighter interior when fully dark outside compared to before. Hope this helps some others with proof to get their cameras replaced.

S (cabin camera blinded error and can’t see anything in the cabin at night via sentry mode) I made am service appointment for the same exact issue a couple of days ago. I also added a question about retrofitting my mid-2022 Richmond-built Model Y with the trunk cargo shelf. This required me to bring my car to a local service center rather than it being a mobile service.

This morning I got an “estimate” of $240 for running diagnostic for the cabin camera error and nothing ($0) on the cargo shelf. The invoice only shows the diagnostic and a free tire pressure check, and nothing is listed for the cargo shelf.

I replied and asked about the $240 estimate… I didn’t read about that here so I thought I ask here - if this is correct…

[Update] Got a reply back via Tesla app - it says that it’s only an estimate and it could be adjusted after discussion with the service center during the appointment.

Last edited:
we all should open serivce with two items
1. auto pilot error... (dont' say FSD error)
2. Cabin camers shows nothing during sentry mode/dog mode at night - and that it should... like others..

AND open a FTC case, NHTSA case

them BS'ing saying your car has latest or new IR camera is not campatible with your car are just BS... how could other Model Y have IR cameras and some don't... they slapped whatever they found duing assembly.. taking customer for granted...
I wonder whatelse we are missing in our cars that we don't know about..
I agree. I’m giving up on dealing with Tesla over it. NHTSA should be next step.

I have a service appointment this Thursday. Wish me luck. It’s my first appointment for the issue, so I’m doubting they will just bring a new camera.

Previously, I would just run my screen on light mode at around 15% and it worked, now it needs to be 100% and that just is NOT safe.

Oh wow thanks. That is definitely an eye 👁️ stink. I read someone was using a led light they use for books attached to the sun visor. But I can’t imagine a light shining at you while driving is comfortable.

Still feel it’s kind of ridiculous that we have to jerry rig up this nonsense after paying for FSD. That’s my biggest complaint it’s not like it was free 🤦
Ridiculous.

any update?
My tech came. Said all my logs looked good everything was fine. I explained in more detail the problem. He did my tire rotation, talked to him more afterwards. I told him about how other owners received new parts, showed him the part numbers, and that fixed the problem. He told me he would speak to his boss in the service departments and get back to me.

Called back a couple hours later and said he spoke with a Tesla “engineer” who said they are working on the problem with a software update but have no date on when it will be done. I tried calling BS on him and he didn’t seem to care.

So, not exactly sure my next steps. Might make a trip to the service center next week see if that helps.
Edit: fix spelling