Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you see the infrared red light during night in drive mode? you can't see them with naked eye.. have to use the camera on the phone..
Assuming your question was directed at me: yes, I'm using my iPhone 12 mini to look for the maroon dots. Yes, I've looked after switching the car into drive. On the other hand, I've not seen the illuminators on this phone on any car, so possibly I'm doing it wrong, or possibly this particular phone lacks sensitivity in the right range of wavelengths. However this same phone shows strongly the light put out by my aftermarket illuminator.

I got an email from Tesla service with a link to review my service estimate. On the PC (not the app) that took me to looking at a pdf which included the entire text I had submitted for my service request, and a list of three parts all listed as "remove and replace"
camera - triple- forward facing MY(151448-00-H)
camera - occupant INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD).(1588124-90-I)
harness - windshield (1616691-00-C)
Zero charge, covered under basic vehicle limited warranty

I consider this good news that they are at least considering replacing parts which should fix the problem.

They also list a goodwill check on the tire pressures and condition

My appointment is mid-February, so probably I won't be reporting any more for a while.
I noticed that your part number you wrote for the interior camera ends in 90-I the part number that is confirmed to fix the issue is 00-I.

Edit to add: I know of at least one other person who had part number *-90-I installed and it also did not fix their problem.

Last edited:
I noticed that your part number you wrote for the interior camera ends in 90-I the part number that is confirmed to fix the issue is 00-I.

Edit to add: I know of at least one other person who had part number *-90-I installed and it also did not fix their problem.
The question of exact part numbers is a bit vexed. Several people posting their success have simply asserted that they used the same part number, without specifying which one. However there are multiple reports of success on this forum from people with part numbers ending in 90-?

Hamtaro7 11/18/2022 1588124-90-I success
jgrgnt 12/19/2022 1588124-90-1 success (I suspect a typo in the last character, but that is what he reported)
marcian 12/23/2022 1588124-90-I success

The question of exact part numbers is a bit vexed. Several people posting their success have simply asserted that they used the same part number, without specifying which one. However there are multiple reports of success on this forum from people with part numbers ending in 90-?

Hamtaro7 11/18/2022 1588124-90-I success
jgrgnt 12/19/2022 1588124-90-1 success (I suspect a typo in the last character, but that is what he reported)
marcian 12/23/2022 1588124-90-I success
Oh looking back I see that now as well. I have a service appointment with quote to use part 90-I, I was going to ask them to change it to 00-I but now most likely won’t.

A few also had part 00-J (I think this one is for X&S).

The part used during my service was as follows which has fixed my IR issue

IMG_1312.png

I just received interior camera 90-I yesterday.

It physically looks exactly the same as the camera that was there before. It almost protrudes from the rear view mirror/ camera housing. I seem to remember seeing other people mention that their replacement camera is slightly recessed in the housing. Perhaps that is the 00-I camera, no idea.

Nonetheless, I just received it yesterday so haven’t had time to drive FSDb at night yet.

However, when checking sentry at night. It is still showing basically pitch black in my car. Seems like 90-I didn’t fix my issue.

Edit: just did a drive, cabin camera covered or blinded RED HANDS

Bummer, so now there is at least (3) people including myself where 90-I failed to fix the problem

Last edited:
I had the service appointment yesterday. In the final invoice, they did not use the harness or the triple camera but did replace the interior camera.
Until now I was confident that would suffice.

Sadly it fixed nothing.
Specifically:
1. I got the usual three-step series of screen messages starting with the red hands of death, and ending with the assertion that autosteer had aborted because the cabin camera was obstructed... This after less than a minute of driving on a dark road after engaging FSDb.
2. I have tried and failed to see the output of the illuminators with my iPhone camera.
3. I can't see the seats or anything else on the cabin camera view when the car is in Sentry mode in my dark garage.

I believe they really replaced the camera, and I believe the part number is for one that should have illuminators.

So maybe the new camera was faulty, or perhaps they installed it wrongly, or maybe the car is not doing something it needs to do in order that power gets sent to the illuminators.

The service people warmed me this might happen, and specifically told me to capture a bug report (and note the date/time for future reference). This was actually not only mentioned to me verbally as I left, but was on the invoice. So I did do a bug report seconds after an episode this evening and have tried to advise them of it. I'm not sure what is the best method to send them information they have requested in this situation.
Do you have any update?

Do you have any update?
Yes. I texted to Tesla very similar comments to the ones I posted here, and got back an answer requesting me please to request a new service appointment giving the same information in the request. I did so, and currently have a visit scheduled for Tuesday. The estimate lists the same three parts as last time's estimate (cabin IR designated camera, triple camera, and a wiring harness) of which only the cabin camera was actually listed as installed on the final invoice last time.

So in theory my first drive in the dark next Tuesday night should give me a good idea whether this time the fix worked for me.

A service center visit is currently a 150-mile round trip for me, though this should drop well under 50 later this year when the Santa Ana site starts service operations.

Yes. I texted to Tesla very similar comments to the ones I posted here, and got back an answer requesting me please to request a new service appointment giving the same information in the request. I did so, and currently have a visit scheduled for Tuesday. The estimate lists the same three parts as last time's estimate (cabin IR designated camera, triple camera, and a wiring harness) of which only the cabin camera was actually listed as installed on the final invoice last time.

So in theory my first drive in the dark next Tuesday night should give me a good idea whether this time the fix worked for me.

A service center visit is currently a 150-mile round trip for me, though this should drop well under 50 later this year when the Santa Ana site starts service operations.
Success.

Yesterday, the Tesla service Center did work intended to fix the problems with nighttime driving that I have experienced due to the lack of successful IR illumination. Yesterday evening my wife reported that she succeeded in driving the car in full self driving Beta mode on roads where she had previously had difficulty. While this was the prime desired result, confidence is somewhat low, as on these city streets the problem is only occasional.

Tonight‘s tests were more specific and highly persuasive to me. I drove the car on a 15 minute 2.7 miles circuit inside Sandia Heights on roads that entirely lack street lighting and have very dim house lighting. Until now this car has not been able to operate in FSDb on this loop for more than 30 seconds without aborting with a complaint of camera obstruction. Tonight it had zero difficulties of that type in the entire drive. In the middle of the drive. I stopped at a dark corner and attempted to see the IR illuminators in my iPhone's camera. I was successful and took a picture (attached). Earlier in my garage, I found it very difficult to see the illuminators in my iPhone, but outside in the dark, it was trivial. Taking the picture was harder.

Lastly, when I got home, I enabled sentry mode in the car and enabled live viewing from my app. I could easily and clearly see the seats in the car even when all lights in the garage were off and all the exterior cameras showed nothing but a very slight degree of pixelization. I inferred that the current setup is indeed generating IR illumination when sentry mode is active and that the interior camera is much more sensitive in the IR than are any of the other cameras that I can see in live view.

The invoice narrative text asserts that the technician performed troubleshooting and found "IR light not working". The narrative mentions replacement of the triple camera and occupant sensor, and then (to my great comfort), says "verified IR light is seen with phone camera".

The actual parts listed, both with remove and replace notation, are a triple camera (1514448-00-G) and an interior camera (1588124-90-I). No mention is made of the wire harness that was included in the estimate. I infer that the narrative reference to "occupant sensor" means the interior camera--not one of the seat weight sensors.

Upthread I mentioned that on a previous service visit the interior camera was replaced, but the bad behaviors continued.

Color me puzzled, a bit, but very happy that my model Y finally seems ready to work consistently for FSDb and night even on dark roads.

Attachments

• YLR_IR_8Mar2023_0.jpeg
    YLR_IR_8Mar2023_0.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: CHILLIBAJJI
Success.

Yesterday, the Tesla service Center did work intended to fix the problems with nighttime driving that I have experienced due to the lack of successful IR illumination. Yesterday evening my wife reported that she succeeded in driving the car in full self driving Beta mode on roads where she had previously had difficulty. While this was the prime desired result, confidence is somewhat low, as on these city streets the problem is only occasional.

Tonight‘s tests were more specific and highly persuasive to me. I drove the car on a 15 minute 2.7 miles circuit inside Sandia Heights on roads that entirely lack street lighting and have very dim house lighting. Until now this car has not been able to operate in FSDb on this loop for more than 30 seconds without aborting with a complaint of camera obstruction. Tonight it had zero difficulties of that type in the entire drive. In the middle of the drive. I stopped at a dark corner and attempted to see the IR illuminators in my iPhone's camera. I was successful and took a picture (attached). Earlier in my garage, I found it very difficult to see the illuminators in my iPhone, but outside in the dark, it was trivial. Taking the picture was harder.

Lastly, when I got home, I enabled sentry mode in the car and enabled live viewing from my app. I could easily and clearly see the seats in the car even when all lights in the garage were off and all the exterior cameras showed nothing but a very slight degree of pixelization. I inferred that the current setup is indeed generating IR illumination when sentry mode is active and that the interior camera is much more sensitive in the IR than are any of the other cameras that I can see in live view.

The invoice narrative text asserts that the technician performed troubleshooting and found "IR light not working". The narrative mentions replacement of the triple camera and occupant sensor, and then (to my great comfort), says "verified IR light is seen with phone camera".

The actual parts listed, both with remove and replace notation, are a triple camera (1514448-00-G) and an interior camera (1588124-90-I). No mention is made of the wire harness that was included in the estimate. I infer that the narrative reference to "occupant sensor" means the interior camera--not one of the seat weight sensors.

Upthread I mentioned that on a previous service visit the interior camera was replaced, but the bad behaviors continued.

Color me puzzled, a bit, but very happy that my model Y finally seems ready to work consistently for FSDb and night even on dark roads.
Thanks for the update. I have been hesitant to set up another appointment until there was some update to what the fix was even after occupant camera is replaced.

I am going to schedule a third appointment now for this problem on my Model Y.

It is very odd how much difference there is in everyones experience. I had my camera replaced with a Non-infrared one due to the original camera constantly messing up Mapping GPS locations.

The replacement one does not have infrared but also does NOT give me “camera blinded” errors just as the Service Department said it wouldn’t after a FSDB update shortly after 🤷🏻‍♂️

2021 Model S LR
FSD Beta

What is the go with these cabin cameras? It seems some ship with IR and some don't. What is Tesla's logic behind this? Is it just random, and if you don't have one but want to use FSD then you just ask for your camera to be replaced?

I own a January 2023-built Model Y from Shanghai that doesn't seem to have IR... so at night the cabin is completely dark when viewing from the app.

I don't use FSD but would like to see the cabin at night especially if I'm paying for premium connectivity.

What is the go with these cabin cameras? It seems some ship with IR and some don't.
I've spent a lot of time reading here, and some time testing my two cars and getting one fixed.

Tentatively, I think:
1. Some cars ship with active IR emitters, and some don't. People often can detect these on imagery from their cell phones when conditions are dark enough.
2. The low-light detection capability of the cabin camera may not be the same for all samples.
3. Just maybe the software may know what capability is supposed to be installed, and may impose different requirements when judging user attention.

My early 2022 model Y never showed visible IR emission until I got a replacement installed by Service on the third try. It could never run FSDb in truly dark conditions until that third try, which replaced the cabin camera and two other parts. After that, I can see the emission if I get into dark enough conditions with it turned on, the car is able to do FSDb in the full dark, and I can see the cabin interior in a dark garage.

BUT, my late 2022 model 3 has never shown me detectable IR emission, but also has never had any trouble with dark night FSDb attention alerts, and shows me nothing of the interior in a dark garage.

The track record of people asking Tesla to change parts to address these matters is mixed based on postings here. A fair number of people have been denied service ("it is a software problem--wait for the fix"). Others had service that replaced from one up to three parts (usually the cabin camera, but also sometimes a wiring harness, and another part). Of those who got parts replaced, many reported immediate success, but others needed a second try (I was a second try case).

So I think the evidence of what is going on is a bit mixed. We don't know whether some of the units have emitters which just don't work. Possibly Tesla lacks suitable testing to detect that. Possibly Tesla did not include any self-test to check if that function breaks (this is odd, as lots and lots of cars have been detecting and reporting dead tail-light bulbs for decades). It appears that there is not a consistent function informing Service Centers what to do with these cases.

Sorry to run on without good clarity. I hope others will correct my errors and fill in the blanks.

I've spent a lot of time reading here, and some time testing my two cars and getting one fixed.

Tentatively, I think:
1. Some cars ship with active IR emitters, and some don't. People often can detect these on imagery from their cell phones when conditions are dark enough.
2. The low-light detection capability of the cabin camera may not be the same for all samples.
3. Just maybe the software may know what capability is supposed to be installed, and may impose different requirements when judging user attention.

My early 2022 model Y never showed visible IR emission until I got a replacement installed by Service on the third try. It could never run FSDb in truly dark conditions until that third try, which replaced the cabin camera and two other parts. After that, I can see the emission if I get into dark enough conditions with it turned on, the car is able to do FSDb in the full dark, and I can see the cabin interior in a dark garage.

BUT, my late 2022 model 3 has never shown me detectable IR emission, but also has never had any trouble with dark night FSDb attention alerts, and shows me nothing of the interior in a dark garage.

The track record of people asking Tesla to change parts to address these matters is mixed based on postings here. A fair number of people have been denied service ("it is a software problem--wait for the fix"). Others had service that replaced from one up to three parts (usually the cabin camera, but also sometimes a wiring harness, and another part). Of those who got parts replaced, many reported immediate success, but others needed a second try (I was a second try case).

So I think the evidence of what is going on is a bit mixed. We don't know whether some of the units have emitters which just don't work. Possibly Tesla lacks suitable testing to detect that. Possibly Tesla did not include any self-test to check if that function breaks (this is odd, as lots and lots of cars have been detecting and reporting dead tail-light bulbs for decades). It appears that there is not a consistent function informing Service Centers what to do with these cases.

Sorry to run on without good clarity. I hope others will correct my errors and fill in the blanks.
Thanks, your reply has been most helpful. My biggest takeaway from your post is vehicles without IR work fine in the dark as far as FSDb/AP cabin attentiveness is concerned. Just bummed out that I can't see jack at night when viewing the cabin from the app. Not sure how it is in the US, but in Australia, Tesla charges $10/month (Australian $) for "premium connectivity" to allow certain features among them viewing live sentry using the app. Just sucks that I have to pay and not being able to see in the cabin at night.

Thanks, your reply has been most helpful. My biggest takeaway from your post is vehicles without IR work fine in the dark as far as FSDb/AP cabin attentiveness is concerned. Just bummed out that I can't see jack at night when viewing the cabin from the app. Not sure how it is in the US, but in Australia, Tesla charges $10/month (Australian $) for "premium connectivity" to allow certain features among them viewing live sentry using the app. Just sucks that I have to pay and not being able to see in the cabin at night.
Same here in the US. I also had the issue with cabin camera IR and got it taken care of in SC. In the service request I specifically mentioned that sentry mode cabin camera images were completely dark at night.