Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a 7-mile drive this evening mostly on quite dark streets, with light rain and an overcast making them darker than usual. I had the dtdtdt IR illuminator positioned as shown in the second picture of my post above numbered 15, with the intensity setting as low as it would go. Zero autosteering aborts.

So apparently when that unit is pointed pretty much right at my face, the lowest available intensity is enough to avoid cabin camera obstruction complaints. I still see four blue LEDs on the back, which seems to indicate quite a lot of remaining energy in the battery, so I think this one is good for multi-hour night operation with this positioning. I still don't have any clever ideas of a way to mount it in this position with any semblance of either neatness or durability.

Reactions: bhakan
I did a 7-mile drive this evening mostly on quite dark streets, with light rain and an overcast making them darker than usual. I had the dtdtdt IR illuminator positioned as shown in the second picture of my post above numbered 15, with the intensity setting as low as it would go. Zero autosteering aborts.

So apparently when that unit is pointed pretty much right at my face, the lowest available intensity is enough to avoid cabin camera obstruction complaints. I still see four blue LEDs on the back, which seems to indicate quite a lot of remaining energy in the battery, so I think this one is good for multi-hour night operation with this positioning. I still don't have any clever ideas of a way to mount it in this position with any semblance of either neatness or durability.
would you be able to see if it works by placing it where the phone charger is?

would you be able to see if it works by placing it where the phone charger is?
I'm currently waiting for it to fall or dislodge from my current improvised (but works wonderfully so long as it stays) position. I then intend just to try placing it on the phone charger shelf. My guess is that at the lowest intensity level this won't work at all, based on previous experience placing a headlamp there, and previous experience with this unit needing to operate at a higher power level when it was up on the mirror, but pointed slightly toward the passenger side. Possibly at a higher output level it may be enough in that position. Possibly even at that higher level the battery life may be sufficient. Certainly it would be less of a nuisance appearance down there.

Hey all just got admitted into the Beta this morning and I kept getting a cabin camera is blinded error when engaging in AP

I never had this issue on 2022.20.8 which I came from. It was dark this morning but it was strange as I never had this issue until this beta update.

Has anyone else had this issue, I just rebooted the vehicle so I hope it was just a bug.
2022.20.17 FSD beta tester for less than 1 month.

I have the same issue. I don't usually drive at night and found this issue last night on the highway in the dark. All the way with "cabin camera is blinded" RED alerts (quite scary!) for many times and I had no idea what it was.

Then I turned on the cabin light. No further alerts.

Last edited:
2022.20.17 FSD beta tester for less than 1 month.

I have the same issue. I don't usually drive at night and found this issue last night on the highway in the dark. All the way with "cabin camera is blinded" RED alerts (quite scary!) for many times and I had no idea what it was.

Then I turned on the cabin light. No further alerts.
What model Tesla were you driving? When and where was it built?

I have a Model Y Performance June 2022 Fremont build. Driving at night is not possible for me on FSD 10.69.2.3/2022.20.18. Only thing that worked is to have my cell phone light pointing at me or, so far tue better solution, having the screen on day mode at 50%.

Other than that, I’m enjoying it.

Attachments

• 42E8A36F-423C-453D-8731-6C8CFE3A0CB9.jpeg
    42E8A36F-423C-453D-8731-6C8CFE3A0CB9.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 120
  • 396BC47C-BCF7-4CB6-9566-AD23E4ACA30D.jpeg
    396BC47C-BCF7-4CB6-9566-AD23E4ACA30D.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
it must be cabin cameras with 2022 builds that are all defective..... how did they not issue a recall for this
I know a few people here who've had their cabin cameras replaced, and it solved the problem. My guess is that with the global supply problems, they just don't have the cameras available, so they're dealing with it on a per-case basis.

Reactions: NanaimoMY
Just think it’s unsafe when I’m trying to use it in low light situation and the car starts to freak out all of a sudden because it’s too dark. I can’t believe this isn’t a bigger issue that isn’t brought up. I guess a lot of people are driving in well lit areas? Most of my commute are early morning and night time on highways not much light
Having the same issue with my 2022 MY. Will try a bit of light to see if it goes away. No problems during the day.

I purchased the IR illuminator intended for use with cameras linked by dtdtdt. I found that for a quick test in my neighborhood I could hold it in place with two very large rubber bands, one wrapping vertically over the right side of the rear view mirror, and the other horizontally going around the mirror support. It came to rest not pointing at the driver's seat at all, but just slightly off-center toward the passenger side. But it is a big array of IR LEDs without focusing optics.

On my test of driving under FSDb control at very low speed on my own dark (zero streetlights, not much light shown by houses) street, I was able to drive without cabin camera obstruction complaints, even with the illumination level turned down as far as it goes on this unit. I suspect this unit would have several hour battery life at that condition, but will need to test that. After I turned off the IR illuminator, I turned on the dome light and drove a short way, then turned off the dome light and got the red hands of death within a couple of hundred feet.

Combining evidence from this drive of a bit over a mile with other tests in the same area, I am highly confident that this IR illuminator positioned as I had it, made a major change to cabin camera-related autosteer aborts on my car.

So we have some new evidence in hand.

1. It appears pretty conclusively that the installed cabin camera in my 2022 Tesla Y LR has useful sensitivity at 850 nm.
2. It appears that my particular sample of Tesla Y either was not meant to come with an IR illuminator, or failed to get one installed, or the installed one was not working (most likely when it left the factory--possibly enabled by Tesla lacking a test) by the time I got FSDb installed.
3. Or possibly the car software neglects to turn on an IR illuminator which would function if asked.
4. It appears that not very much IR illumination is required to satisfy the cabin camera requirement not to be considered obstructed or blinded.

As several users, but not a great many, have reported similar difficulty with modern cars (built later than the claimed start date for IR illuminator installation), we have some possibilities:
1. all the cars are the same, but only a few participants drive them at night on dark enough roads to have this problem.
2. some of the cars are defective in a way that defeats adequate IR illumination--but an appreciable defect rate--this would probably mean Tesla lacks suitable factory floor testing to assure this function is working when the car leaves the factory.

Granted Albuquerque night sky is dark compared to many places in the US, but I've had this problem show up in places much brighter than my residential streetlight-free neighborhood--once in Interstate 25, and at least seven times on Paseo del Norte-a major arterial road, divided, with at least two lanes in each direction, and quite a bit of traffic.

If my problem is indeed an individual car defect, it is a great pity that the customer service system seems set up to exclude it from consideration. Bizarrely, the tech I spoke to considered the report of cabin camera blinding as somehow an indication that there was not a fixable defect, as the car did not report to him a request to fix something. He also was unaware of IR illuminators being present in ANY Tesla, and seemed inclined to not believe.
Have the same problem in my 2022 Fremont-built MY. Will do some experiments with lighting and report back.

I know a few people here who've had their cabin cameras replaced, and it solved the problem. My guess is that with the global supply problems, they just don't have the cameras available, so they're dealing with it on a per-case basis.
I would love to but twice ive contacted via app about this and they say they remotely see no issue. - cancel my appt a day before the scheduled date.... Like what else can I do at this point.

I would love to but twice ive contacted via app about this and they say they remotely see no issue. - cancel my appt a day before the scheduled date.... Like what else can I do at this point.
Get in the car when it's dark. When you get the Pay Attention warning, disengage so you don't get a strike. Immediately after, press the voice button and say "bug report" and note the date/time. Open the ticket and reference the report. That will give the techs more info, including the camera feeds at the time.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Get in the car when it's dark. When you get the Pay Attention warning, disengage so you don't get a strike. Immediately after, press the voice button and say "bug report" and note the date/time. Open the ticket and reference the report. That will give the techs more info, including the camera feeds at the time.
Some comments:
1. It does not say "pay attention" at any point in the sequence.
2. It has never generated a strike for me--and I have had well over a dozen of these. All have started with the Red hands of death and a command to take control immediately, then proceeded to the same subsequent error popups I and others have shown. My first action has generally been to seize control using steering input shortly after seeing the big red steering wheel. Possibly I averted a strike, but as no inattention alert was ever generated, I doubt it a bit.
3. I did, once, create a bug report for one of these, and I referenced it in my service request.
On the way to my service request getting cancelled, the reviewing tech asked me more details and I supplied three dates and time when I had autosteer abort events of the type in question. I had mentioned the bug report with specific date/time in my initial request.
After my request was cancelled, the tech actually telephoned me--apparently as a courtesy. I reminded him of the bug report, and while I was on the phone he looked it up. His version of what he got from that was vastly less then folks here assume. He represented it as giving him a full set of parameters and the screen image for that moment--but not a big package of videos over some reasonable stretch of time or such. He clearly felt it added nothing to his understanding, nor to his decision to cancel.

Your experience may well differ from mine.

4. The one thing the tech actually wanted, got from me, and used, was dates/times of autosteer abort episodes. So at minimum I'd add to your advice the advice to take such notes. Of course, I did not actually get anything useful from my effort, so...

Interesting I stumbled upon this thread, may have some helpful info; I have FSD and am waiting to receive FSD beta, but haven't gotten it yet. I can engage AP and navigate on AP with no problems, but I was playing with service mode the other day and noticed when I enter service mode I get a warning regarding the selfie camera:

IMG_1325.JPEG

It says I'm speed limited to 7mph, but I think that's just in service mode, regular driving I have no issue with acceleration or being speed limited.

I filled out a service request and they came back with a $0 estimate for cabin camera replacement.

For those that don't know, to get into service mode, go to the software tab, press and hold on your model (model 3 logo for me) for a few second (you should see a visual indicator like a lighter circle around yoru finger) then enter 'service' all lowercase as the password.

Interesting I stumbled upon this thread, may have some helpful info; I have FSD and am waiting to receive FSD beta, but haven't gotten it yet. I can engage AP and navigate on AP with no problems, but I was playing with service mode the other day and noticed when I enter service mode I get a warning regarding the selfie camera:

View attachment 869770

It says I'm speed limited to 7mph, but I think that's just in service mode, regular driving I have no issue with acceleration or being speed limited.

I filled out a service request and they came back with a $0 estimate for cabin camera replacement.

For those that don't know, to get into service mode, go to the software tab, press and hold on your model (model 3 logo for me) for a few second (you should see a visual indicator like a lighter circle around yoru finger) then enter 'service' all lowercase as the password.
I can’t even get them to replace my cabin camera after scheduling an appointment two times. Is there any way to reset the vehicle via this service mode? For some weird reason factory reset is greyed out on my car. Been having so many camera issues

I purchased the IR illuminator intended for use with cameras linked by dtdtdt. I found that for a quick test in my neighborhood I could hold it in place with two very large rubber bands, one wrapping vertically over the right side of the rear view mirror, and the other horizontally going around the mirror support. It came to rest not pointing at the driver's seat at all, but just slightly off-center toward the passenger side. But it is a big array of IR LEDs without focusing optics.

On my test of driving under FSDb control at very low speed on my own dark (zero streetlights, not much light shown by houses) street, I was able to drive without cabin camera obstruction complaints, even with the illumination level turned down as far as it goes on this unit. I suspect this unit would have several hour battery life at that condition, but will need to test that. After I turned off the IR illuminator, I turned on the dome light and drove a short way, then turned off the dome light and got the red hands of death within a couple of hundred feet.

Combining evidence from this drive of a bit over a mile with other tests in the same area, I am highly confident that this IR illuminator positioned as I had it, made a major change to cabin camera-related autosteer aborts on my car.

So we have some new evidence in hand.

1. It appears pretty conclusively that the installed cabin camera in my 2022 Tesla Y LR has useful sensitivity at 850 nm.
2. It appears that my particular sample of Tesla Y either was not meant to come with an IR illuminator, or failed to get one installed, or the installed one was not working (most likely when it left the factory--possibly enabled by Tesla lacking a test) by the time I got FSDb installed.
3. Or possibly the car software neglects to turn on an IR illuminator which would function if asked.
4. It appears that not very much IR illumination is required to satisfy the cabin camera requirement not to be considered obstructed or blinded.

As several users, but not a great many, have reported similar difficulty with modern cars (built later than the claimed start date for IR illuminator installation), we have some possibilities:
1. all the cars are the same, but only a few participants drive them at night on dark enough roads to have this problem.
2. some of the cars are defective in a way that defeats adequate IR illumination--but an appreciable defect rate--this would probably mean Tesla lacks suitable factory floor testing to assure this function is working when the car leaves the factory.

Granted Albuquerque night sky is dark compared to many places in the US, but I've had this problem show up in places much brighter than my residential streetlight-free neighborhood--once in Interstate 25, and at least seven times on Paseo del Norte-a major arterial road, divided, with at least two lanes in each direction, and quite a bit of traffic.

If my problem is indeed an individual car defect, it is a great pity that the customer service system seems set up to exclude it from consideration. Bizarrely, the tech I spoke to considered the report of cabin camera blinding as somehow an indication that there was not a fixable defect, as the car did not report to him a request to fix something. He also was unaware of IR illuminators being present in ANY Tesla, and seemed inclined to not believe.
I am just coming across this post as I have the same issue and I posted on FSD False Strikes and also on FSD beta 10.69 threads. I got two Strikes simply because of the cabin camera issues at night and getting the red hands of death warning the instant I engage AP on my local roads. I had this issue since Sept 19th when they rolled 10.69.2.2. On 10/28, Tesla mobile service replaced the cabin camera. But I still have the issue at nights making me wonder if the IR illuminator in my cabin camera is defective. I sent a service request now explaining the potential IR illuminator issue. I live in the urban area but lot of dark driving areas too. I may get he same answer you were given.

I am just coming across this post as I have the same issue and I posted on FSD False Strikes and also on FSD beta 10.69 threads. I got two Strikes simply because of the cabin camera issues at night and getting the red hands of death warning the instant I engage AP on my local roads. I had this issue since Sept 19th when they rolled 10.69.2.2. On 10/28, Tesla mobile service replaced the cabin camera. But I still have the issue at nights making me wonder if the IR illuminator in my cabin camera is defective. I sent a service request now explaining the potential IR illuminator issue. I live in the urban area but lot of dark driving areas too. I may get he same answer you were given.
Can you keep us updated, I’ve been having this issue since I got into the fsd beta

All I can really gather is that it seems to be affecting 2022 builds