Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection Doesn’t Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why my cabin overheat protection does not work?

I know it only works for 12 hours after parking. I’ve woke it up, turned it off and on the app, and even walked outside and opened the door. Nothing works.

‘21 model that I’ve only had about a month. Most of the time I park in my garage and it never gets close to 105°. However, I am house sitting for a friend this week and have to park outside. Heat in the southeast has been insane and It’s been sitting at 150° interior temperature for hours

Attachments

• B10F015D-4780-432D-8470-5243C6C155E1.png
    B10F015D-4780-432D-8470-5243C6C155E1.png
    529.2 KB · Views: 508
I think you have to put the car in drive and back to park (may even actually have to drive it a little) to reactivate it. But you can leave it off and it is not going to damage your car. Just turn on Climate control using the app 10 min before you need to leave for your comfort. I have cabin overhead protection OFF for the last 3.5 years with my Model 3. I parked in front of my house and the cabin temp is over 150 during summer everyday. Nothing fried in the car so far.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Upvote 0
I think you have to put the car in drive and back to park (may even actually have to drive it a little) to reactivate it. But you can leave it off and it is not going to damage your car. Just turn on Climate control using the app 10 min before you need to leave for your comfort. I have cabin overhead protection OFF for the last 3.5 years with my Model 3. I parked in front of my house and the cabin temp is over 150 during summer everyday. Nothing fried in the car so far.
Thank you for the reply and info my friend!!! I really appreciate it. It’s normally not an issue for me, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to hurt anything in the few days I can’t park in my garage. You eased my worries, thanks!!!

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Upvote 0
If cabin overheat protection stops working when set to On or On with No AC you can try logging out of the Tesla app on your phone and log back in. As noted, to extend cabin overheat being active beyond 12 hours you can either drive the vehicle or use the Tesla app to unlock and then lock the doors.

Reactions: VQTRVA
Upvote 0
If cabin overheat protection stops working when set to On or On with No AC you can try logging out of the Tesla app on your phone and log back in. As noted, to extend cabin overheat being active beyond 12 hours you can either drive the vehicle or use the Tesla app to unlock and then lock the doors.
The unlocking & locking does not work for me.
Nor does logging out of mobile app do anything.

Seems like the only way to get COP working after the Y is sitting > 12 hours is to drive it a little.

Anyone have a different experience?

Upvote 0
The unlocking & locking does not work for me.
Nor does logging out of mobile app do anything.

Seems like the only way to get COP working after the Y is sitting > 12 hours is to drive it a little.

Anyone have a different experience?
Update: well just as I wrote above, went into the app & COP turned on but not @ 101°.
It waited to around 120° before kicking in.

Upvote 0
The Cabin Overheat Protection feature is 100% for pets/humans that get accidentally left inside the vehicle. The components of the vehicle can and do withstand heat just fine.

All cars heat up this much or more, we just never had a way to check inside temps.

Id let the car be hot. No reason to waste energy just to keep an empty car cool.

Reactions: Rockstop and 804son
Upvote 0
The Cabin Overheat Protection feature is 100% for pets/humans that get accidentally left inside the vehicle. The components of the vehicle can and do withstand heat just fine.

All cars heat up this much or more, we just never had a way to check inside temps.

Id let the car be hot. No reason to waste energy just to keep an empty car cool.
Except non of the COP temperature settings 90/95/100F are safe for small humans or pets for any length of time.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why my cabin overheat protection does not work?

I know it only works for 12 hours after parking. I’ve woke it up, turned it off and on the app, and even walked outside and opened the door. Nothing works.

‘21 model that I’ve only had about a month. Most of the time I park in my garage and it never gets close to 105°. However, I am house sitting for a friend this week and have to park outside. Heat in the southeast has been insane and It’s been sitting at 150° interior temperature for hours
Well I had the same problem with my wife’s 2021 TM3 : impossible to activate the COP… (((…drove me crazy. Searched all over the net… found this French guy on YouTube who found the solution… thanks to him. So I’m sharing here . YOU NEED TO DEACTIVATE THE SENTRY MODE !!! and..voila! The COP works again on your settings and App…. Crazy … I don’t see the connexion between the 2… have a great one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Abraham
Upvote 0
2022 Model 3, COP set to No A/C.

I woke up my car yesterday in the heat. Car registered as 130 degrees F, and then slowly started dropping all the way to 100 degrees F. All without me turning on the climate. So I watched it work.
That sounds like COP with AC set to 100F. COP with no AC can't cool the passenger cabin quickly but will keep the maximum cabin temperature 10 to 20 degrees cooler than if COP was completed off.

If you had to wake up your Tesla Model 3 for COP to turn on was your Tesla Model 3 parked for more than 12 hours? COP will remain active for 12 hours after you park.

Upvote 0
That sounds like COP with AC set to 100F. COP with no AC can't cool the passenger cabin quickly but will keep the maximum cabin temperature 10 to 20 degrees cooler than if COP was completed off.

If you had to wake up your Tesla Model 3 for COP to turn on was your Tesla Model 3 parked for more than 12 hours? COP will remain active for 12 hours after you park.

Nope, it was as I said. No A/C for COP, it was 130 degrees inside. ~72 degrees outside. Car had been parked outside in the sun for two hours.
The cooling took four or five minutes to bring the temps down.

Upvote 0
Nope, it was as I said. No A/C for COP, it was 130 degrees inside. ~72 degrees outside. Car had been parked outside in the sun for two hours.
The cooling took four or five minutes to bring the temps down.
You should not have had to open the Tesla app to cause COP with NO AC to run with a cabin temperature of 130F. Was the battery state of charge at or less than 20%, that would cause COP to be disabled.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry if I am being dense. I can understand how the daytime cabin temperature could reach 130F even with COP with No AC active. I don't understand how opening the Tesla app would cause the cabin temperature to drop from 130F to 100F simply by opening the app. If Climate Control was turned on after opening the app then 4 or 5 minutes would have been long enough to bring the cabin temperature down to below 100F.

Upvote 0
New owner here. I live in san diego and vegas and am trying to take advantage of overheat protection since car is parked outside in sun for a week at a time between drives. Based on tesla manual i would have to go out after 12 hours and open car physically to allow reset of protection. I have tried remotely unlocking car , and remote opening hatch from app but that does not seem to make any difference. Only driving car or manually opening door seems to work so am I missing something?. Some have said you need to use overheat protection in the southwest to protect the cabin electronics is this true or ??? I have a front window shade and an overhead glass shade, but car still registers in the 120-130 degrees on a outside 85 degree day.

Cabin Overheat Protection​

Cabin Overheat Protection prevents the cabin from getting too hot in scorching ambient conditions. While not necessary to activate whenever you leave Model 3, the climate control system can reduce and maintain the temperature of your vehicle’s cabin. This can prevent the cabin from getting too hot after leaving it parked in the sun, making the vehicle more comfortable when you return. Cabin Overheat Protection may take up to 15 minutes to enable once you exit the vehicle. This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components.
To turn on, touch Controls > Safety > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:
  • On: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 40° C, or the selected temperature if available, on the touchscreen or mobile app. Customizing temperatures may require the most recent version of the mobile app.
  • No A/C: Only the fan operates to prevent touch surfaces from getting too hot.
  • Off: Disables Cabin Overheat Protection.
You can also enable Cabin Overheat Protection remotely through the mobile app by touching Climate. Swipe up on the bottom menu and select a setting under Cabin Overheat Protection (see Mobile App).
Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may decrease range

Upvote 0
some have said you need to use overheat protection in the southwest to protect the cabin electronics is this true or ???

Tesla itself said the feature was for "kids and pets", and no mention was ever made for "protect the electronics". I dont think its necessary at all for that purpose and is a big waste of energy. I use a windshield shade, and my car still looks the same inside after just under 5 years of ownership, however I do park in a garage at home (but obviously park outside while running errands etc).

There are a lot of different threads here on this feature, in multiple subforums, so you can form your own opinion on whether to use it

Upvote 0