Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would I be defeating the purpose of cabin overheat protection if I cracked the windows a little? It was only 75 degrees but very sunny the other day and my car was parked in partial shade. Got alert that car cabin was at 120 and Protection on!
I’ve been reading similar posts and realized I may be confused about COP! Is it for my comfort? and not necessarily needed. Or for car computer protection and a must?

Last edited:
It is tough to debate this as Tesla mentioned that it has nothing to protect your vehicle.

If folks in hotter temps like to use it then it is OK. However, if the car is on a schedule...simply set it up for departure time and have your car set to 68/69/70/71/72/73 etc........you get my point. If you want to have a 100^F car that is OK too.

It gets hot where I am in the summer (85* F to 100* F or 29*C to 38*C) and I leave the car outside for extended periods of time in the sun to use my workplace's free charging, though it has no shade. I was wondering if there's any benefit to the car by having Cabin Overheat Protection on. It reduces my charging speed, and it's under the Safety panel in the Settings, so I think it's meant more so for leaving occupants or pets in the car maybe. Is there any damage to the car's exterior, interior, or systems by leaving Cabin Overheat Protection off? Also, does leaving it on cause any increased wear and tear since it's running the AC and fans continuously?

It gets hot where I am in the summer (85* F to 100* F or 29*C to 38*C) and I leave the car outside for extended periods of time in the sun to use my workplace's free charging, though it has no shade. I was wondering if there's any benefit to the car by having Cabin Overheat Protection on. It reduces my charging speed, and it's under the Safety panel in the Settings, so I think it's meant more so for leaving occupants or pets in the car maybe. Is there any damage to the car's exterior, interior, or systems by leaving Cabin Overheat Protection off? Also, does leaving it on cause any increased wear and tear since it's running the AC and fans continuously?

(moderator note)

I have moved your newly created thread into this existing one on the topic which discusses this feature.

It gets hot where I am in the summer (85c to 100* F or 29*C to 38*C) and I leave the car outside for extended periods of time in the sun to use my workplace's free charging, though it has no shade. I was wondering if there's any benefit to the car by having Cabin Overheat Protection on. It reduces my charging speed, and it's under the Safety panel in the Settings, so I think it's meant more so for leaving occupants or pets in the car maybe. Is there any damage to the car's exterior, interior, or systems by leaving Cabin Overheat Protection off? Also, does leaving it on cause any increased wear and tear since it's running the AC and fans continuously?

I wouldn't worry about wear and tear. Keep it cool. Here in AZ it gets to 140 *F in direct sun

This is our first summer with a Tesla so since I'm paranoid about computers getting too hot, I have Cabin Overheat Protection on with the sunshade that came with the car, a car cover, and the windows vented. Today will be the first day that gets over 100 degrees this year so we'll see. (I'll put the car cover back on after I charge this morning.)

This is our first summer with a Tesla so since I'm paranoid about computers getting too hot, I have Cabin Overheat Protection on with the sunshade that came with the car, a car cover, and the windows vented. Today will be the first day that gets over 100 degrees this year so we'll see. (I'll put the car cover back on after I charge this morning.)
The computers in the car are fine. Everything is designed to easily withstand temps the cabin will reach.

I dont use cabin overheat protection. Now, full disclosure, I have 3m Crystalline tint all around my car (on every window, including the glass roof. I also use a high quality windshield shade whenever I park out in the sun. I have had my car since Dec of 2018, and not only have I not had any issues with interior electronics, the inside of my car still looks brand new (probably more due to the windshield sunshade).

Get a windshield sunshade and turn it off if you want.
I have a front sunshade , sunroof sunshade, and roof and rear lift gate sunshade. Today the temperature inside my car was 127°. I am in Southern California. I didn’t have cabin overheat protection on before, but now I’m wondering if I should, to protect the electronics. People here are talking about using fan only, but in my car, there is no option for fan only.

I have a front sunshade , sunroof sunshade, and roof and rear lift gate sunshade. Today the temperature inside my car was 127°. I am in Southern California. I didn’t have cabin overheat protection on before, but now I’m wondering if I should, to protect the electronics. People here are talking about using fan only, but in my car, there is no option for fan only.

It was 145 degrees in my car today since it was parked outside in a parking lot, and it was slightly over 100 degrees where I am. I had zero concerns about this (none). I simply turned on the AC remotely about 10 minutes before I was leaving, got in the car, and drove home (again, zero concerns here with my almost 5 year old model 3 that still has its original screen, no yellowing, no damage and interior that still looks brand new).

Reactions: 42M3 and Tezzie
It was 145 degrees in my car today since it was parked outside in a parking lot, and it was slightly over 100 degrees where I am. I had zero concerns about this (none). I simply turned on the AC remotely about 10 minutes before I was leaving, got in the car, and drove home (again, zero concerns here with my almost 5 year old model 3 that still has its original screen, no yellowing, no damage and interior that still looks brand new).
Do you use any sort of sun shade in your wind shield. I am not really concerned about heat, but I was concerned about Sun damaging the interior. But your post give me hope that this won't happen. Do you use any sort of protectant on the interior. Thanks in advance for the information.

Do you use any sort of sun shade in your wind shield. I am not really concerned about heat, but I was concerned about Sun damaging the interior. But your post give me hope that this won't happen. Do you use any sort of protectant on the interior. Thanks in advance for the information.

Yes, I do.

I have window tint (3m Crystalline 20% all around except for windshield, including glass roof), and I use a high quality windshield screen (from covercraft) that I put up whenever I park the car, no matter how long I park it.

Reactions: 42M3
My Model 3 is parked outside during SoCal summer with daily temp over 100. The internal temperature gets over 150 every day after 3pm. I have cabin overheat protection off since the beginning back in 2018. Nothing seems damage yet inside equipment or materials. During covid, my car just park outside for weeks at time since we ordered in. Even if I had cabin overheat protection on, it would have just worked for the first day and it would have turned itself off anyway.

Reactions: 42M3
Yes, I do.

I have window tint (3m Crystalline 20% all around except for windshield, including glass roof), and I use a high quality windshield screen (from covercraft) that I put up whenever I park the car, no matter how long I park it.
Thanks, not sure if I’ll be able to do the window tint. I can’t find any good places in my location that have done Teslas, and the amount of water used has me nervous. But definitely have to look into the covercraft.

My Model 3 is parked outside during SoCal summer with daily temp over 100. The internal temperature gets over 150 every day after 3pm. I have cabin overheat protection off since the beginning back in 2018. Nothing seems damage yet inside equipment or materials. During covid, my car just park outside for weeks at time since we ordered in. Even if I had cabin overheat protection on, it would have just worked for the first day and it would have turned itself off anyway.
Thanks for the information. Do you use any windshield sunshade or have any window tint? Your seats haven’t started to fade any? The leather of my old car, non Tesla, started to fade a bit, and it was only in the sun when I parked it at work or shopping. So that’s why I’m kind of nervous about my new Model 3.

Thanks for the information. Do you use any windshield sunshade or have any window tint? Your seats haven’t started to fade any? The leather of my old car, non Tesla, started to fade a bit, and it was only in the sun when I parked it at work or shopping. So that’s why I’m kind of nervous about my new Model 3.
I don't use windshield sunshade. I do have ceramic tint on my 4 windows and the back. I don't have tint directly above window. Cabin overhead protection is to provide comfort for the people and pets when they get into the car. If they are there to protect the equipment, what happened when you parked for a few days. It gets turned off after the first day anyway.

I don't use windshield sunshade. I do have ceramic tint on my 4 windows and the back. I don't have tint directly above window. Cabin overhead protection is to provide comfort for the people and pets when they get into the car. If they are there to protect the equipment, what happened when you parked for a few days. It gets turned off after the first day anyway.
Yes, the manual states that COP is for comfort and not to protect interior. Just wondered if the interior would start looking bad from the sun not the heat. But seems yours has held up well, thanks for the information.