Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac Escalade electric: Tesla Killer!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're going to bulletproof/convoy it, then it will need ALL of that 200kWh battery because that thing will weigh as much as a tank!
I pity the drivers. That thing will not be nimble. Forget about evasive maneuvers.
I don't see the Presidential vehicles (or any highly-sensitive government/military) going electric in the forseeable future.

Can you rephrase that please? This is how I read that. :)

View attachment 951801
That pic is hilarious and I'm stealing it :p

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
Sorry guys, iphone fat finger

We see customer demand and the Tesla ecosystem changing the industry

Digital experience via Tesla app
One app for all phases of a lifecycle with Tesla
Quote, demo request, buying, owning, adding vehicles, pimping out the vehicle and self
Adding adjacent tech of solar and powerwall
Managing all components vehicle, solar and power wall
Everyone is trying to copy
Legacy and other EV manuf are learning it’s not about the vehicle but about the vehicle and all around it or the ecosystem

At Nissan the sales person was amazed when I showed them what the app can do

Reactions: zroger73
They made the Hummer EV. That's the platform.
Put a truck body on it (and decontent it): Silverado EV
Put a full sized luxury SUV body on it (and recontent it/change up the style): this.

I'm also expecting a Yukon version at some point?

It's a good platform, and if they can keep the prices down (200kWh battery says "ouch") I think they'll do ok.
Well considering the base work truck model of the Silverado EV is $77k, I would assume this would end up closer to $130-140k, maybe more?

Big batteries = $$$$
But if we want old style as an EV, that’s what it takes
The EV wrangler will be $$ for its terrible drag will need big batteries
Imagine the drag coefficient with no roof and 4x4 in sand
When I run my ICE wrangler in sand dunes, my mpg drops to 5

Yeah, you're basically buying two full Model X battery packs, plus the frame, chasis, brakes, etc to carry all that weight. It will be incredibly heavy, require either hours to charge or a private powerplant-level charger to fill it, and of course you'll have to PAY for all that metal and battery. So not really competing with any Tesla product short of taking a Semi, unhooking the trailer, and calling it an "SUV"

The Hummer EV is rated at 47 MPGe - less than half as efficient as a Model X, but still less than half as expensive per mile to operate as a gasoline-powered full-size truck - "cheap" in the universe of gasoline-powered trucks, but gluttonous in the universe of electric vehicles. :)

The Hummer EV is rated at 47 MPGe - less than half as efficient as a Model X, but still less than half as expensive per mile to operate as a gasoline-powered full-size truck - "cheap" in the universe of gasoline-powered trucks, but gluttonous in the universe of electric vehicles. :)

depending on where you can get your electricity and gas, 47 MPGe is roughly equal in cost to a hybrid gas SUV

Reactions: EbS-P
Uhoh the new Escalade is electric, and is being referred to as a Tesla Killer. They’ll sell maybe 20,000 a year with enormous 200kW-hr batteries. How is this going to kill Tesla — will they die laughing or something?

View attachment 951332
"2015 Cadillac Escalade Badge" by AlBargan is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Well, I have to say that is not true. I have a friend that purchased an Escalade and I have to say the ride was smooth, the apple, android play, blind spot monitoring, speakers in the head rest, decent lane keeping and a automatic cover for the sunroof. It may not be a Tesla killer, but caddy will sell a lot of these and put a dent in Tesla sales as will all the other manufactures that are entering the space. I am just about able to be right side up to sell MY and get one.

Well, I have to say that is not true. I have a friend that purchased an Escalade and I have to say the ride was smooth, the apple, android play, blind spot monitoring, speakers in the head rest, decent lane keeping and a automatic cover for the sunroof. It may not be a Tesla killer, but caddy will sell a lot of these and put a dent in Tesla sales as will all the other manufactures that are entering the space. I am just about able to be right side up to sell MY and get one.
Enjoy. At over 100k for that tank the line will be short so you can get one for sure. I personally couldn’t care less about Apple or android in my car. No interest in them getting into every aspect of my life.

Reactions: unhyphy
Uhoh the new Escalade is electric, and is being referred to as a Tesla Killer. They’ll sell maybe 20,000 a year with enormous 200kW-hr batteries. How is this going to kill Tesla — will they die laughing or something?

View attachment 951332
"2015 Cadillac Escalade Badge" by AlBargan is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
After a quick search on the author:
I had to remind myself of a sad state of journalism in our days. Almost everything that you find on the internet is garbage posted on the internet with the only goal to generate fast money. I am pretty sure some smart people are already using something like ChatGPT to generate totally made up clickbait stories and post them to collect $$ for the clicks.

And just to prove my point, here is what the ChatGpt has generated a few minutes ago for my request of
"write a story on new GM Escalade IQ being a Tesla killer" (c'mon Sara, ChatGpt can write a better story than you did!)

Once upon a time, in a world dominated by electric vehicles, a new contender emerged to challenge the supremacy of Tesla. The automotive world was buzzing with excitement and curiosity as General Motors unveiled its latest creation, the GM Escalade IQ.

The GM Escalade IQ was not just an ordinary luxury SUV; it was a technological marvel designed to rival the Tesla Model X. With its sleek, aerodynamic design and cutting-edge features, the Escalade IQ aimed to revolutionize the electric vehicle market.

As the Escalade IQ hit the streets, it quickly gained attention for its impressive range. Powered by a state-of-the-art battery pack, it boasted an astounding 500-mile range on a single charge, leaving even Tesla owners in awe. The vehicle's range was further enhanced by its regenerative braking system, which efficiently converted kinetic energy into electrical energy, giving the Escalade IQ an edge over its competitors.

The interior of the Escalade IQ was a marvel of luxury and innovation. As passengers stepped inside, they were greeted by a spacious cabin adorned with the finest materials. But it was the advanced onboard AI system that truly set it apart. Equipped with cutting-edge technology, the Escalade IQ's AI system understood the preferences of its occupants, adjusting the temperature, seat position, and even the music playlist based on individual preferences. The AI system could also predict traffic patterns, suggesting alternate routes to optimize travel time.

One of the most remarkable features of the Escalade IQ was its self-driving capabilities. With the flick of a switch, drivers could activate the autonomous driving mode, allowing the vehicle to navigate through traffic effortlessly. The Escalade IQ's advanced sensor array and machine learning algorithms ensured a safe and smooth driving experience, surpassing the capabilities of Tesla's Autopilot system.

In terms of performance, the Escalade IQ did not disappoint. It boasted impressive acceleration, reaching 0-60 mph in just under four seconds, making it one of the fastest electric SUVs on the market. The vehicle's handling and suspension were finely tuned to provide a comfortable ride, effortlessly gliding over bumps and potholes.

But the true test for the Escalade IQ came when it faced off against Tesla's flagship Model X in a head-to-head comparison. The media and enthusiasts eagerly awaited the showdown, anticipating a battle between the established electric vehicle champion and the up-and-coming contender.
In the ultimate test of range and endurance, the Escalade IQ outlasted the Model X, thanks to its superior battery technology. The Escalade IQ's self-driving capabilities also proved to be more reliable and refined, impressing even the most die-hard Tesla fans. It was clear that the Escalade IQ had the potential to be a true Tesla killer.

With each passing day, the Escalade IQ gained popularity and cemented its position as a serious contender in the electric vehicle market. General Motors' commitment to innovation and sustainability had paid off, as they had created a vehicle that surpassed the expectations of critics and consumers alike.
As the story of the GM Escalade IQ unfolded, it marked a turning point in the automotive industry. The battle for electric vehicle supremacy had intensified, and other manufacturers soon followed suit, pushing the boundaries of technology and design.

In the end, the emergence of the GM Escalade IQ not only proved to be a Tesla killer but also ignited a new era of competition, driving innovation, and pushing the boundaries of what was thought possible in the world of electric vehicles.

• Funny
Reactions: unhyphy and IdaX
I did say 80amp chargers will come back
New Silverado and max battery will need 20 hours to full charge at 48 amps
Don’t think anyone likes 20 hour home recharge
80 amps brings it down to max tolerance of 10 hours
If I had to buy a home charger right now I would wait as Tesla should be releasing a gen 4 capable of 80 amps for the CT (throw back to gen 2 :). )
Future proof your hardwired home charging investment with a gen 4

I did say 80amp chargers will come back
New Silverado and max battery will need 20 hours to full charge at 48 amps
Don’t think anyone likes 20 hour home recharge
80 amps brings it down to max tolerance of 10 hours
If I had to buy a home charger right now I would wait as Tesla should be releasing a gen 4 capable of 80 amps for the CT (throw back to gen 2 :). )
Future proof your hardwired home charging investment with a gen 4
I would have certain technical concerns about 80A chargers on home network. Often, the maximum you have in your house is between 100A and 200A. You will be testing your house circuitry near the maximum loads while charging your vehicles at 80A.

But if you can afford a $100K vehicle typically you can afford a home electrical service upgrade to 350 amps
In parallel, if you have solar and batteries, you might not need a service upgrade

Interesting how dynamic this topic is
Times a changing

I would have certain technical concerns about 80A chargers on home network. Often, the maximum you have in your house is between 100A and 200A. You will be testing your house circuitry near the maximum loads while charging your vehicles at 80A.

The worst thing that should happen is you trip the main breaker long before anything overheats or catches fire - that's why it is there. ;)

I have 200A service and suppose I could trip the main breaker if:

All four burners and the oven were on (45 amps)
AND the heat pump was running with auxiliary electric heat (75 amps)
AND the water heater was heating (19 amps)
AND the dryer was drying (21 amps)
AND I was charging my EV (48 amps)
=208 amps

Even with an 80-amp Wall Connector, you'd have to work at it to exceed 200A service. :)