Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac Escalade electric: Tesla Killer!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhoh the new Escalade is electric, and is being referred to as a Tesla Killer. They’ll sell maybe 20,000 a year with enormous 200kW-hr batteries. How is this going to kill Tesla — will they die laughing or something?

11354436066_f66c3d1b13_b.jpg

"2015 Cadillac Escalade Badge" by AlBargan is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Uhoh the new Escalade is electric, and is being referred to as a Tesla Killer. They’ll sell maybe 20,000 a year with enormous 200kW-hr batteries. How is this going to kill Tesla — will they die laughing or something?
It's for a very affluent population:

VIP
status symbol
Those who got driven in a caravan with armed guards.
Limousine companies...

Those people have lots of money and a Tesla is just too small for them.

Attachments

• 140319824-4.jpg
    140319824-4.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reactions: IdaX
They made the Hummer EV. That's the platform.
Put a truck body on it (and decontent it): Silverado EV
Put a full sized luxury SUV body on it (and recontent it/change up the style): this.

I'm also expecting a Yukon version at some point?

It's a good platform, and if they can keep the prices down (200kWh battery says "ouch") I think they'll do ok.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
They made the Hummer EV. That's the platform.
Put a truck body on it (and decontent it): Silverado EV
Put a full sized luxury SUV body on it (and recontent it/change up the style): this.

I'm also expecting a Yukon version at some point?

It's a good platform, and if they can keep the prices down (200kWh battery says "ouch") I think they'll do ok.

Tesla is starting to penetrate into some lower governmental departments like the police.

Cadillac Escalade is for a high-end market that Tesla currently has no chance to get a share of.

Higher government levels like FBI, Secret Service, and Presidential Convoy love Cadillac products.

They use a Cadillac platform and modify it into an armored vehicle such as "the Beast" for the US President.

Cadillac platform is also among the favorite to modify into a limousine.

The "killer" here is another totally different market for the rich and powerful that Tesla doesn't have a similar product to compete with.

Last edited:
I don’t see how they sell 20k a year units untill 2026 or 27. There will be other luxury options by that time. Maybe there will be some profit. But again at today’s prices we’re talking about 40k In batteries.

It’s not well engineered for efficiency if it needs a 200kwh battery. Buyers won’t care but fitting this product into an all electric production environment like Tesla has it will not benefit from economies of scale. Buyers at this income don’t care about price. So does price even matter?
They want a status symbol. Is Escalade still that? A model X certainly conveys a different image than an Escalade.

All electric extra large boxy SUVs will be a status symbol just because they are so inefficient as an EV and to be on par with an ICE counterpart will be more expensive.

GM has such a good history with EVs, what’s not to like. How many Hummer EVs or Lyriqs have they sold now, at a loss? I assume GM will figure it out but they‘ve been wrong with every try so far…

We want EV adoption and it does not have to be a Tesla, I’m good with that.
If this EV Escalade moves those owners from ICE to EV, the S curve is working.
Good for GM
I wasn't commenting on makes/models, just GM's failure to deliver on their most recent EVs. Lots of ads for VERY few vehicles anyone can actually buy or wants - my favorite is the Hummer EV sold 99 in Q1/22, 4 in Q4/22 and 2 in Q1/23. 😆

Last edited: