Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac SuperCruise Tops Tesla in Consumer Reports' Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bladerskb

Senior Software Engineer
Oct 24, 2016
Michigan
Cadillac Tops Tesla in Consumer Reports' First Ranking of Automated Driving Systems

How Capable Is the Automation?
The systems were tested on their ability to automate speed control and steering. We looked at how well the cars stayed centered in their lane, how often they touched lane lines, and how many times they crossed those lines. We measured each system’s performance on straightaways, on curves, in lane merges, and during lane changes. We also evaluated their ability to control speed on the highway, in stop-and-go traffic, approaching a car ahead, and when the car ahead had left the lane.

Autopilot and Super Cruise were the clear winners. These systems accelerated and slowed comfortably and were able to reliably keep the vehicle centered in the lane for several miles at a time. The Nissan and Volvo systems had trouble with curvy or hilly roads, and they had frequent lane departures.

This makes the 7th(?) report of supercruise beating AP.
You won't see this on electrek.co

Looks like AP beat Supercruise in terms of capability and performance, but not for keeping the driver attentive.

Capture.JPG

Your bias is clearly showing

Autopilot was better for the actual performance, but lost out on keeping driver engaged and unresponsive driver, which are a lot less important. And the only reason why Cadillac beat in clear when safe to use is because they are more restrictive

No Supercruise destroys AP in performance, Tesla AP is just way better in capability (use in local roads). They simply merged the category together which they shouldn't.

But again this is just another test where SC comes on top just like the 6 other tests that have been done.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G and jaguar36
No Supercruise destroys AP in performance, Tesla AP is just way better in capability (use in local roads). They simply merged the category together which they shouldn't.

But again this is just another test where SC comes on top just like the 6 other tests that have been done.

Are you reading a different article than the one you linked to? I see no performance breakdown.

Autopilot and Super Cruise were the clear winners. These systems accelerated and slowed comfortably and were able to reliably keep the vehicle centered in the lane for several miles at a time.

Their write up can be misleading/ ambiguous:
Each system behaves drastically differently when the driver fails to respond after warnings. Super Cruise and Autopilot issue two visual warnings, followed by an audible alert, before they start applying the brakes to stop the vehicle in its lane, and then turn on the hazard lights. The Super Cruise system will then call an emergency contact number, and the system is locked out until the car has been shut off and restarted. Similarly, Autopilot will go through the escalation process three times during a trip before it locks out the driver.
Autopilot will put on the hazards and bring the car to a controlled stop also, not just lock out the driver.

Are you reading a different article than the one you linked to? I see no performance breakdown.

Their write up can be misleading/ ambiguous:

Autopilot will put on the hazards and bring the car to a controlled stop also, not just lock out the driver.

I'm well aware of that, other articles has performance breakdown and SC always runs the table in that aspect. IDK why CR decided to lump performance with capability. and yes the entire article didn't go into details.

They're both good systems. Competition is good. Regardless, the real question is which is the better car, not which has the better cruise control. I love AP and have been using it since day 1 but it is not the defining experience of a Tesla.

In 2018 Super Cruise was available only on one model, the CT6. I hope that it will be a more affordable option when it proliferates to other makes and models. My local Cadillac dealer has only one vehicle in stock with Super Cruise.

(I haven't read the article yet.)

I found this quote from the article that was presented as a negative.

"Because of the impressive ability of Tesla’s Autopilot to keep the vehicle centered in its lane, it’s easy for drivers to become over reliant on it."

Not saying there is a bias but the "I don't like it because it's to good" argument seems off to me.

Another thing to keep in mind

"Super Cruise could not be tested on our track because it is designed to operate only on divided highways without intersections that have been mapped by General Motors."

Sound like Super Cruise is excellent on the mapped highways and its always good to see competition so that everyone will will be forced to "up the ante"

No clearly CR disagrees with you here. I feel like this review is poorly timed as Tesla is about to drop a major upgrade to all AP 2.0 cars. Ofcourse based on CR's rating criteria, I would bet they will subtract points for features like Drive On Nav because they are not as risk adverse as CR would like.

Yes because Cadillac doesn't have EVs.

Have you even used AP? How could Supercruise "destroy" AP in performance when it only works on pre-mapped divided highways? AP works perfectly on divided highways.

I admit i don't but do you? whats your degree and how many years of car engineering and manufacturing do you have?

I tend to ignore (at least now I do) people that go around blabbering about the degrees they have and how many years they have been at it. So I would say he works at a competitor, and uses his/her free time at work to chide the competition.

Cadillac Tops Tesla in Consumer Reports' First Ranking of Automated Driving Systems

This makes the 7th(?) report of supercruise beating AP.
You won't see this on electrek.co
Supercruise is only available at some freeways. The nearest freeways to GM tech center are I-696 and I-75 and both are under construction so they are unavailable for SuperCruise and will be unavailable after the construction is finished since GM will have to get out and re-map them again and then the costumers will have to visit their frindly dealer to get the updates. In the mean time my AP navigates both with ease while they are under construction. I guess you and Cosumer Report failed to mention this.