Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculating the Model 3 Canadian prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So he says $80k Canadian for a first production fully loaded Model 3 AWD (without P or FSD). In BC, that means it doesn't qualify for the $5k EV rebate (which is not allowed on an EV over $77k) plus PST goes from 7% to 10% (for vehicles above $57k). So that makes it $80k plus 15% PST/GST = $92,000 Can total. That sounds about right to me.

For people interested in a fully loaded 3, it may make sense when configuring in BC to buy EAP later, in order to qualify for the EV rebate, since even if you pay more for EAP later, with it out of the purchase price and if that brings it under the $77k, you will save about $4k (since you lose ~1k for buying it later). Plus, tax avoidance is legal whereas tax evasion is not and this is clearly avoidance.

It's still a hell of a lot of money. All I want is the standard battery, with the premium package and different paint. Still going to come out to over 50's before the Ontario Incentive. Since no one in Canada is taking deliveres before the new election time, it's more than likely the incentive will be extremely modified or completely disappear. Leaving the overall price completely untouched. :(

If the incentives still stand, I'll make a deposit then. But as it stands right now, that's alot of money to put down on a car which I know I'll have to change out after 10yrs due to the horrendous weather we get up here.. :(

So he says $80k Canadian for a first production fully loaded Model 3 AWD (without P or FSD). In BC, that means it doesn't qualify for the $5k EV rebate (which is not allowed on an EV over $77k) plus PST goes from 7% to 10% (for vehicles above $57k). So that makes it $80k plus 15% PST/GST = $92,000 Can total. That sounds about right to me.

For people interested in a fully loaded 3, it may make sense when configuring in BC to buy EAP later, in order to qualify for the EV rebate, since even if you pay more for EAP later, with it out of the purchase price and if that brings it under the $77k, you will save about $4k (since you lose ~1k for buying it later). Plus, tax avoidance is legal whereas tax evasion is not and this is clearly avoidance.

Would you mind to make sure that your calculation is correct? According to Model 3 Affordability Calculator - Teslanomics, it is less expensive than your above calculation..

I have a pretty good feeling the NAFTA savings is already factored into the Model 3 base cost of $35K. NAFTA requires a minimum of 62% North American content (Model S is only 55%) while Model 3 is 75%

Trump wants to jack it up to 85% *USA* content, at least for vehicles sold in the USA. If he gets anything close to that, will Canada have a similar clause for cars sold here?

Case in point:

Tesla Model S Base 75D in US = $74,500 usd
Currency to buy a USD with CAD = 1.2593
Thus the Canada Model S, if there were no 'buffer' or 'few grand' as I put it, should sell for $93,817 CAD

Instead it sells for $96,650, $3,000 CAD over the USD price. Both countries have similar PDI fees ($1300 CAD in canada, $1200 USD in the states)

Clear enough?

For that reason, I think you can add a $2000-2500 premium to the price of a US model 3, converted to CAD to get a good feel what they'll sell for here.

Tesla tends to take a few months to adjust to changes in exchange rates.

When the Loonie was tanking was October 2013 to January 2016 the converted price was almost always lower in Canada than in the USA.

Would you mind to make sure that your calculation is correct? According to Model 3 Affordability Calculator - Teslanomics, it is less expensive than your above calculation..

What you are asking is impossible since we don't know the prices yet for Canada. And just because Teslanomics has it less expensive than the person who I quoted and agreed with, doesn't mean Teslanomics is correct and we are wrong. I've been around long enough to know how Tesla sets prices in Canada. Plus, isn't this the guy behind Teslanomics?

If so, so much for his track record.

What you are asking is impossible since we don't know the prices yet for Canada. And just because Teslanomics has it less expensive than the person who I quoted and agreed with, doesn't mean Teslanomics is correct and we are wrong. I've been around long enough to know how Tesla sets prices in Canada. Plus, isn't this the guy behind Teslanomics?

If so, so much for his track record.

sorry, this guy also tried to predict the Canadian price, which is also lower than your production. I am just curious whats your 90K+ number coming from..

sorry, this guy also tried to predict the Canadian price, which is also lower than your production. I am just curious whats your 90K+ number coming from..

I got it from the same video you just posted when it was posted above, here:

Guys, watch this. It’ll give you a real good idea what the cost of a 3 will be.

Go to 6:50 where he says "for Canada (estimated) $77,500 (minus rebates)" plus "~$5,500 for AWD" he tells us. That brings us to: $83,000 Canadian. Then I said we must also keep in mind (for those of us in BC -- not you):

It won't surprise me if that's the same in Ontario once the 3 comes to Canada, or shortly thereafter, since I can't see the rebate going over very well on vehicles in excess of $75k. That's what killed it here -- likely with the help of GM and others.

I got it from the same video you just posted when it was posted above, here:

Go to 6:50 where he says "for Canada (estimated) $77,500 (minus rebates)" plus "~$5,500 for AWD" he tells us. That brings us to: $83,000 Canadian. Then I said we must also keep in mind (for those of us in BC -- not you):

It won't surprise me if that's the same in Ontario once the 3 comes to Canada, or shortly thereafter, since I can't see the rebate going over very well on vehicles in excess of $75k. That's what killed it here -- likely with the help of GM and others.

Oh, I got it. It is based on BC situation. That why I could not understand before...

So pity the ppl living in BC, you need pay for the health care, and 15% tax? and then EV over 77000ca$, no rebates? Here in Ontario, we pay 13% tax, health care free of charge, kid drug totally free, and we get 14000$ rebates no matter what EV we buy as long as the battery larger than 15Kwh.

Oh, you say, we have cold weather, yes, but I will prefer snow rather than rainy..;);)

I can't believe that a car with an extended battery and premium interior will be over 63000 already. I guess i'll stick to black colour and 18 inch wheels and forgo the Autopilot to a future date.

I'm still hoping that the rate used will be closer to 1.27 instead of 1.29 or 1.32 as per the video. I hope it's really NAFTA related.

Reactions: Falkirk
There’s a lot of hoping and crossing of fingers. But the video does a pretty good job of laying it all out for you.
I’m looking at a standard battery, with premium package, and blue paint for about 52g’s before taxes. With taxes and if the incentive still holds, I’m still looking at 48g’s easy.
The only upside is no real maintenance and no more gas stations.
I still find it to be a lot of coin for a new vehicle which will get eaten alive in our winter weather. Getting Krowned can only do so much. It does help, but there are still places where the winter will kill this car due to its higher content of steel.
I’m seriously considering keeping my current ride for another 4-5yrs. Maybe pick a 3 up as a used certified later in the future....

I can't believe that a car with an extended battery and premium interior will be over 63000 already. I guess i'll stick to black colour and 18 inch wheels and forgo the Autopilot to a future date.

I'm still hoping that the rate used will be closer to 1.27 instead of 1.29 or 1.32 as per the video. I hope it's really NAFTA related.

One thing for sure that ppl will skip is full self driving feature. That bring down a "fully loaded' 3 under 8. We can easily get a certified used 2016 85D S for about that price. Only difference would be the Ontario rebate, so if rebates goes away with PC, the used S will be definitely a better choice.

Having said that, Tesla will push Canadian delivery earlier based on pulls that PC may rule the province. finger crossed.

we get 14000$ rebates no matter what EV we buy as long as the battery larger than 15Kwh.

No - wrong. Vehicles with an MSRP over $150,000 are not eligible for an incentive.

I bet that's cut in half -- or more -- by the time the Model 3 reaches Ontario. Your fund is only $12M and dealers are already struggling to get paid with no Model 3s even in sight:

Ontario still owes dealers millions in EV rebates as wait time grows

Good luck getting anything near $14k by the time the 3 rolls into town.

So pity the ppl living in BC, you need pay for the health care, and 15% tax? and then EV over 77000ca$, no rebates? Here in Ontario, we pay 13% tax, health care free of charge, kid drug totally free, and we get 14000$ rebates no matter what EV we buy as long as the battery larger than 15Kwh.
Oh, you say, we have cold weather, yes, but I will prefer snow rather than rainy..;);)

When I lived in Calgary people told me how they much preferred their weather too over rain. My reply was I can carry an umbrella but it's hard to carry a heater. But really it has nothing to do with weather as to why we live here although I do wish more people thought like you. So many of you from Ontario come here just for a visit and never end up going back. Then you drown us out when the Leafs come to town (and not the EV kind of Leafs). Our real estate wouldn't be the priciest in Canada if only more people thought like you. Please keep pitying us from afar -- just not up close or we risk that pity turning to envy.

I can't believe that a car with an extended battery and premium interior will be over 63000 already.

For those of us who paid over $100k (mine was $115k with tax) four years ago when there was no AP, the 3 sure sounds like a bargain to me. When the base price of $35k US was announced, we all knew, or ought to have known, that adding a few options would greatly tip the scales. It's just foolish to think otherwise. Tesla is in the business of making money. The base is to get your foot in your door. Just try closing it behind you without grabbing onto a few options. Tesla's got us hook, line and sinker and I'm fishing for a P 3!

Last edited:
No - wrong. Vehicles with an MSRP over $150,000 are not eligible for an incentive.

I bet that's cut in half -- or more -- by the time the Model 3 reaches Ontario. Your fund is only $12M and dealers are already struggling to get paid with no Model 3s even in sight:

Ontario still owes dealers millions in EV rebates as wait time grows

Good luck getting anything near $14k by the time the 3 rolls into town.

When I lived in Calgary people told me how they much preferred their weather too over rain. My reply was I can carry an umbrella but it's hard to carry a heater. But really it has nothing to do with weather as to why we live here although I do wish more people thought like you. So many of you from Ontario come here just for a visit and never end up going back. Then you drown us out when the Leafs come to town (and not the EV kind of Leafs). Our real estate wouldn't be the priciest in Canada if only more people thought like you. Please keep pitying us from afar -- just not up close or we risk that pity turning to envy.

For those of us who paid over $100k (mine was $115k with tax) four years ago when there was no AP, the 3 sure sounds like a bargain to me. When the base price of $35k US was announced, we all knew, or ought to have known, that adding a few options would greatly tip the scales. It's just foolish to think otherwise. Tesla is in the business of making money. The base is to get your foot in your door. Just try closing it behind you without grabbing onto a few options. Tesla's got us hook, line and sinker and I'm fishing for a P 3!

Are we talking about Model 3 here, will Model 3 go over 150,000CA$?

Tesla does not deduct the rebate from the payment, so your story Ontario government owns the money to dealer does not applicable in Tesla case. You can browse this forum, Tesla owners ranging from 2 weeks to 5 months to get the rebate here in Ontario, but we will eventually get it while in BC the rule says over 77000$ not qualified..

BTW, I will choose to move to Sydney (not NS Sydney) instead of BC if I like to move to a warm weather. Australia at least has a better health care system than BC and housing price is lower comparing with BC. (I'd glad you mention real estate price)...

The issue for getting rebates in Ontario is not the wait time, which was 5 months for me in 2015 when I bought my Model S, it is more whether the rebate program will still exist after the June 2018 provincial election.

The issue for getting rebates in Ontario is not the wait time, which was 5 months for me in 2015 when I bought my Model S, it is more whether the rebate program will still exist after the June 2018 provincial election.

Take look of stair #67 of this thread,
Electrical Vehicle Incentives Ontario

I don't worry too much on this one. Who knows if PC will win the election, even if they win, according to above, if reserved Model3 in 1st Canadian batch, we will still get the rebate. No one predicted Donald will win Hilary, sometimes ppl use their feet to vote. Let's see..

I agree that they will follow through with contractual obligations but it depends on how you define the contract. I would think that if the PCs cancel this program after they are elected that they would only pay the rebate on vehicles that will be delivered over the next few months. For example, if they get elected in June they would cancel it for cars delivered after Sep 30 or Dec 31, 2018. I don't think they would continue to give the rebate to anyone who put a deposit a year or two earlier, especially since you can cancel and get your deposit back. But that's just my opinion.

I agree that they will follow through with contractual obligations but it depends on how you define the contract. I would think that if the PCs cancel this program after they are elected that they would only pay the rebate on vehicles that will be delivered over the next few months. For example, if they get elected in June they would cancel it for cars delivered after Sep 30 or Dec 31, 2018. I don't think they would continue to give the rebate to anyone who put a deposit a year or two earlier, especially since you can cancel and get your deposit back. But that's just my opinion.

I strongly believe that Tesla will move the Canadian delivery according to the election result, plus their US delivery reaching the maximum tax break allowed. So opinion on this is if reserved Model 3 in the 1st batch, we should get the Model 3 with the rebate. If putting the deposit now, who knows, finger crossed...

Again, why ppl so worried about a factor which is too many unknowns, 1st thing 1st to stat to worry is PC win the election, who says they will win for sure. I really did google search on the pulls, only less than 5% difference currently according multiple pulls. who knows..

I agree that it is hard to call the election now and that there is a decent chance that the Libs get re-elected and a small chance that the NDP wins. There is also a chance that the Liberals could cancel the EV incentive program as well.

But I doubt that Tesla is going to make radical changes to their manufacturing and shipping schedule based on the Ontario election, unless they are almost ready to go with Canadian cars. I believe they also have to get regulatory approval for the car as well. What I mean by that is that if they planned to start delivering cars in Canada in January 2019 but the deadline to get the rebate was Dec 31, 2018 then I could see then pushing Canadian models through a month or two earlier.

I agree that it is hard to call the election now and that there is a decent chance that the Libs get re-elected and a small chance that the NDP wins. There is also a chance that the Liberals could cancel the EV incentive program as well.

But I doubt that Tesla is going to make radical changes to their manufacturing and shipping schedule based on the Ontario election, unless they are almost ready to go with Canadian cars. I believe they also have to get regulatory approval for the car as well. What I mean by that is that if they planned to start delivering cars in Canada in January 2019 but the deadline to get the rebate was Dec 31, 2018 then I could see then pushing Canadian models through a month or two earlier.

My reservation says mid 2018 for LR or AWD now, finger crossed

Reactions: Falkirk