Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculating the Model 3 Canadian prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It always added usd to the prices. Tesla is the fairest of car companies. They try to keep our car priced as close the USA as possible. Bad when our dollar is low, but if our dollar keeps rising for another year could work out very well for us! Maybe $34k cad if we get above par! lol. the Unfortunately, the new government may rescind the rebate before we get our cars which would suck for us, but be good for the province. To clarify, getting our finances in order would be the good part. Not eliminating one nice program.

Wholeheartedly agree, I'm willing to take the chance that i will not get my Ontario ev rebate.

I'm not one to subscribe that Ontario EV rebates will disappear the second a new government comes into power but given that my long-awaited Model 3 is looking like a late 2018 delivery I'm starting to wonder if I should just jump into a new Model S in the spring... My downpayment savings are increasing and the possibility that the HST could be eliminated early in the new year and combined with the recent CAD price decrease makes a Model S really enticing... I just hope they get around to doing an interior refresh, the Model 3 I was in puts the Model S interior to shame in terms of quality and amenities.

Bolt is no competition in Canada. A few hundred permitted to be sold, then nothing, not able to buy till spring 2018 at the earliest. And the Bolt is not competition, I've driven one, nice car, if you like what it is, but it's no Tesla competitor that's for sure.
Well the problem is the public don't know it is not Competition.. in the USA the Bolt and Model 3 are priced almost the same.. both marketed as an affordable electric car.
Now having said that.. yeah like as if the Bolt is Competition! It isn't. Tesla is way ahead. BUT I will be disappointed if the car is too far off he MSRP of the Bolt.

Well the problem is the public don't know it is not Competition.. in the USA the Bolt and Model 3 are priced almost the same.. both marketed as an affordable electric car.
Now having said that.. yeah like as if the Bolt is Competition! It isn't. Tesla is way ahead. BUT I will be disappointed if the car is too far off he MSRP of the Bolt.
Will it matter what the price difference is if you can buy the 3 and can't buy the Bolt?

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm not one to subscribe that Ontario EV rebates will disappear the second a new government comes into power but given that my long-awaited Model 3 is looking like a late 2018 delivery I'm starting to wonder if I should just jump into a new Model S in the spring... My downpayment savings are increasing and the possibility that the HST could be eliminated early in the new year and combined with the recent CAD price decrease makes a Model S really enticing... I just hope they get around to doing an interior refresh, the Model 3 I was in puts the Model S interior to shame in terms of quality and amenities.
As i told you on the other forum, yeah wait and see till April when your lease ends, the Tesla picture might get a lot more clear by then regarding HST, model 3 timeline and model s refresh, do you think they would do a refresh at the same time as model 3 ramp up? I know this was the case with the X.

I'm leaning heavily to model 3 as I'm driving a paid for 7 year old Infiniti and don't really want the size of a MS. Only thing giving me pause is if late 2018 means 2019 especially for a AWD. Also if a refresh is coming if not then it's a deal breaker for me and i will definately wait as i think model s should be due for a redesign let alone refresh. It doesn't need it but i don't want the depreciation hit of a visually older model.

In calculating what we could potentially pay for a Model 3, what kind of taxes/fees do we need to add on after converting from USD to CAD? Do we need to apply the 13% HST rate? Anything else we should include?

I think everyone is forgetting about the $14,000 dollar grant that the Ontario government is kicking in for the purchase of an electric car. This makes the Model 3 "ALMOST" $35,000 (Canadian) when all is said and done. (roughly)

I think everyone is forgetting about the $14,000 dollar grant that the Ontario government is kicking in for the purchase of an electric car. This makes the Model 3 "ALMOST" $35,000 (Canadian) when all is said and done. (roughly)
Except that the ASP in USD for the Model 3 is closer to $50k than $35k. So even with a $14k grant that gets the price to more like C$48k. And that Ontario government may lose the election in four months so that when Model 3s are delivered in Ontario that grant may no longer be available. Plus, not everyone participating in this thread lives in Ontario. In the US $35k gets you a black short range Tesla with no auto-pilot and no winter package.

Except that the ASP in USD for the Model 3 is closer to $50k than $35k. So even with a $14k grant that gets the price to more like C$48k. And that Ontario government may lose the election in four months so that when Model 3s are delivered in Ontario that grant may no longer be available. Plus, not everyone participating in this thread lives in Ontario. In the US $35k gets you a black short range Tesla with no auto-pilot and no winter package.

I will admit though that $14,000 is a sweet bit of free cash! ... AND your other assumption, about Justin, is just that, a guess, so .... Maybey NOT!! :>) Canada is serious about climate change and air quality. It is true however, that not everyone lives in Ontario. I calculate the cost a bit different and wonder what the final cost actually is in Ontario. I get the following numbers, and wonder where, and if, I may be wrong. I get $30,101 CAD after USD/CAD conversion, minus the $14,000 grant. Then 13% taxes on top makes it $34,616.00. A $1000.00 destination fee makes $35,616.00 What else am I forgetting? (Oh and we can also get 1K for the home charger installation.)

Do you want a colour other than Black? That's $1000. Do you want Autopilot - that's $5000. Fully Autonomous? That's another $3000? Winter package? Not sure how much that is.

The bare minimum would be US$36,000 for a Black short range RWD Model 3 with no AP. But that won't be available for a long time.

US$36k is C$45.4k (@1.26). Add on 13% in taxes takes you to $51.3. So if the $14k incentive is still there that will get you to $37.3k. But that is a bare minimum car.

Bolt is no competition in Canada. A few hundred permitted to be sold, then nothing, not able to buy till spring 2018 at the earliest. And the Bolt is not competition, I've driven one, nice car, if you like what it is, but it's no Tesla competitor that's for sure.

Without commenting on the relative desirability of the Bolt, they are importable from the U.S., so there is no constraint on our (Canadian) abililty to purchase one. Importation is a tedious but unintimidating process

36,000 is 1000 more than base AMERICAN. So that is super cool. Im just talking Base model period. not sure why you keep adding stuff. base is the start point. always adding stuff costs more obviously, but base is always 35K and so a good comparison point.

I will admit though that $14,000 is a sweet bit of free cash! ... AND your other assumption, about Justin, is just that, a guess, so .... Maybey NOT!! :>) Canada is serious about climate change and air quality. It is true however, that not everyone lives in Ontario. I calculate the cost a bit different and wonder what the final cost actually is in Ontario. I get the following numbers, and wonder where, and if, I may be wrong. I get $30,101 CAD after USD/CAD conversion, minus the $14,000 grant. Then 13% taxes on top makes it $34,616.00. A $1000.00 destination fee makes $35,616.00 What else am I forgetting? (Oh and we can also get 1K for the home charger installation.)

Keep in mind that the $14K rebate is applied AFTER taxes are calculated.

I.e. price * 1.13 - $14K

36,000 is 1000 more than base AMERICAN. So that is super cool. Im just talking Base model period. not sure why you keep adding stuff. base is the start point. always adding stuff costs more obviously, but base is always 35K and so a good comparison point.
Because what matters is what you actually pay for a car, not what the base price is. The point that I am making is that almost no one buys the base car - the want/need some of the "options" like a bigger battery, a colour other than black, AWD, AP ,etc.

Don't know why there would be an extra few grand on top of currency.
because there is. Canada is a worse place to sell cars than California as there are a bunch of legal and technical requirements that add to the cost of the car. Also, Tesla doesn't want to real-time price these cars with currency which can move as much as a nickel in a week or two. So they build in a buffer.

Case in point:

Tesla Model S Base 75D in US = $74,500 usd
Currency to buy a USD with CAD = 1.2593
Thus the Canada Model S, if there were no 'buffer' or 'few grand' as I put it, should sell for $93,817 CAD

Instead it sells for $96,650, $3,000 CAD over the USD price. Both countries have similar PDI fees ($1300 CAD in canada, $1200 USD in the states)

Clear enough?

For that reason, I think you can add a $2000-2500 premium to the price of a US model 3, converted to CAD to get a good feel what they'll sell for here.

because there is. Canada is a worse place to sell cars than California as there are a bunch of legal and technical requirements that add to the cost of the car. Also, Tesla doesn't want to real-time price these cars with currency which can move as much as a nickel in a week or two. So they build in a buffer.

Case in point:

Thus the Canada Model S, if there were no 'buffer' or 'few grand' as I put it, should sell for $93,817 CAD

Instead it sells for $96,650, $3,000 CAD over the USD price. Both countries have similar PDI fees ($1300 CAD in canada, $1200 USD in the states)

Clear enough?

For that reason, I think you can add a $2000-2500 premium to the price of a US model 3, converted to CAD to get a good feel what they'll sell for here.

No, you forget that with the Model S the batteries are coming from Panasonic Japan. This means it's not eligble for NAFTA and has a 6% tarrif added (I'm not sure if that 6% is calculated on the entire price or just the fraction that is not made in North America). Model 3 uses batteries from the Gigafactory in the US. Will result in fewer additional fees.

No, you forget that with the Model S the batteries are coming from Panasonic Japan. This means it's not eligble for NAFTA and has a 6% tarrif added (I'm not sure if that 6% is calculated on the entire price or just the fraction that is not made in North America). Model 3 uses batteries from the Gigafactory in the US. Will result in fewer additional fees.

I have a pretty good feeling the NAFTA savings is already factored into the Model 3 base cost of $35K. NAFTA requires a minimum of 62% North American content (Model S is only 55%) while Model 3 is 75%

Case in point:

Clear enough?

Actually, there's an extra charge for the S and X in Canada because they don't meet the NAFTA requirements for enough parts made in North America, namely the batteries. The 3's batteries don't have that problem since they're made in Nevada.

Guys, watch this. It’ll give you a real good idea what the cost of a 3 will be.

So he says $80k Canadian for a first production fully loaded Model 3 AWD (without P or FSD). In BC, that means it doesn't qualify for the $5k EV rebate (which is not allowed on an EV over $77k) plus PST goes from 7% to 10% (for vehicles above $57k). So that makes it $80k plus 15% PST/GST = $92,000 Can total. That sounds about right to me.

For people interested in a fully loaded 3, it may make sense when configuring in BC to buy EAP later, in order to qualify for the EV rebate, since even if you pay more for EAP later, with it out of the purchase price and if that brings it under the $77k, you will save about $4k (since you lose ~1k for buying it later). Plus, tax avoidance is legal whereas tax evasion is not and this is clearly avoidance.