Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calibration in progress...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my M3 last Sunday and now have little over 150 miles. However it is still saying "Calibration in progress". Is it normal to calibrate it this long? Just FYR, my version is 2019.15.103. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It needs to be driven smoothly on roads with well marked lanes which usually takes only about 30 miles. I suspect It needs to align the edge views of each camera with the next overlapping one. Crisp features like well defined lines are best for this. When an object comes into view of any camera, it is tagged as to type, speed and distance. That tag follows the object as it passes into the field of view of other cameras. It's like aligning the three projectors of the old Cinerama but this is down electronically with software so you don't have to fine tune the angle of all the camera's. Neat stuff.

How many miles were on it when you got it? The AP goes though a calibration process when you take it for its maiden voyage. It just calibrates all the cameras and sensors the road. You didn’t miss much.

The car had a little over 30 miles (driven from Fremont to San Mateo). I wonder if the "calibration" didn't stick - I'm not seeing anything on the left side of my car while driving, almost never in back (radar - if I turn on the camera it shows just fine), and most of the time I am driving I am not seeing icons for cars around me at all. I may actually have to return the car because of this.
Can't get a service apt until 2 weeks after my return allowed :(
The weird thing is that the cameras work well (from teslacam) but the radar is not displaying anything! (at least that's how it seems.

The car had a little over 30 miles (driven from Fremont to San Mateo). I wonder if the "calibration" didn't stick - I'm not seeing anything on the left side of my car while driving, almost never in back (radar - if I turn on the camera it shows just fine), and most of the time I am driving I am not seeing icons for cars around me at all. I may actually have to return the car because of this.
The weird thing is that the cameras work well (from teslacam) but the radar is not displaying anything! (at least that's how it seems.

Interesting. My cars only took about 10-15 miles to calibrate so I would not be surprised if the system was fully calibrated by the time it reached you. Something simple you can try is a reboot of the MCU. Just hold both buttons down on the steering wheel for a few seconds and the system will reboot, screen will go dark and reset. It is one of the first things service will have you try.

My Model 3 would not calibrate either, turns out the radar unit was defective. The Ranger replaced the radar unit and it calibrated fairly quickly. They re-enabled the free trial and when I purchased AP several months later it did not have to perform the calibration again, AP worked immediately

I never saw a calibration in progress or maybe I missed it. I am pretty sure the radar unit is used, even if you do not have AP, for some of the standard safety features all M3's have. I am pretty sure emergency braking did not work until my radar was replaced and that was about four months after purchase. The car had no warning that the radar unit did not work and the Tesla Ranger had to call the engineers in CA to determine that was the reason AP would not calibrate.

Yes I do.. It seems to be stuck at around 90-95%.. I have scheduled for a mobile service but not until 7/11. My return period ends on 7/6 and also have tinting schedule for 7/6, so I don't want to have to return the vehicle.. hmmm

OP, the return period is in case you find out you don’t like Model 3’s. It isn’t your last chance to get problems fixed. If your car won’t finish calibration, but you otherwise like the car, then don’t sweat the return period, just get it handled under warranty.

Reactions: Bill Foster
OP, the return period is in case you find out you don’t like Model 3’s. It isn’t your last chance to get problems fixed. If your car won’t finish calibration, but you otherwise like the car, then don’t sweat the return period, just get it handled under warranty.

Yes I know that, but if basic functions don't work and I have little/no trust in Tesla's word (or why they would deliver a new car without basic functions working), well that was a problem for me. I DO like the car, but have serious reservations about basic issues - eg reports of emergency roadside service not answering, inability to reach service to get a timely answer to important issue, inability of people to get repairs b/c part shortage, etc.

So in line with my concerns -had mobile service was here b/c one of my key cards didn't work. He said he could not do anything about radar (see quote below where someone else where mobile called to get clarification about calibration) BUT he claimed all new cars need to calibrate and IT TAKES THE FIRST 500 MILES. So people with AP can't rely on it for 500 miles and those of us without can't count on the safety features for 500 miles? This kind of confusion/misinformation/?lack of information is one of the things that makes this such a frustrating and "cult like" experience for me.

I never saw a calibration in progress or maybe I missed it. I am pretty sure the radar unit is used, even if you do not have AP, for some of the standard safety features all M3's have. I am pretty sure emergency braking did not work until my radar was replaced and that was about four months after purchase. The car had no warning that the radar unit did not work and the Tesla Ranger had to call the engineers in CA to determine that was the reason AP would not calibrate.

Yes I know that, but if basic functions don't work and I have little/no trust in Tesla's word (or why they would deliver a new car without basic functions working), well that was a problem for me. I DO like the car, but have serious reservations about basic issues - eg reports of emergency roadside service not answering, inability to reach service to get a timely answer to important issue, inability of people to get repairs b/c part shortage, etc.

So in line with my concerns -had mobile service was here b/c one of my key cards didn't work. He said he could not do anything about radar (see quote below where someone else where mobile called to get clarification about calibration) BUT he claimed all new cars need to calibrate and IT TAKES THE FIRST 500 MILES. So people with AP can't rely on it for 500 miles and those of us without can't count on the safety features for 500 miles? This kind of confusion/misinformation/?lack of information is one of the things that makes this such a frustrating and "cult like" experience for me.

A lot of what you are experiencing is the pain of dealing with a growing company and yes it does feel like you need the tribal knowledge of various folks to get solid answers. The good news is we all get to share our experience and knowledge here as we go on the journey with Tesla.

I bought two Model 3s in the last 2 months and both calibrated the AP in the first 8-12 miles. I drove on some city streets and before I even reached the on-ramp to the highway the calibration circle was compete and AP was ready for use.

I never saw a "calibration circle" and I don't have AP, so it may have "calibrated" when the delivery person drove it to me or?????, but then why did the tesla mobile service tell me it takes 500 miles to calibrate (not a real question)

If it hadn't been for this site I would have returned the car - since someone on here gave me a simple answer that should have been given to me by Tesla - so I have to hope that nothing goes wrong and I don't need any repairs in which case I'll end up loving the car or if I have to deal with any of that I may have an entirely different view.

After contacting Tesla service, I was supposedly given a firmware update. I called back and found out that it was just a same update I already had when I bought the car. Regardless I put in more miles as per Tesla service’s instructions until last night. It is now at 288 miles and calibration is still in progress. As frustrating as I felt like Tesla was trying to waste away my valuable 7 days return window, I called my local dealer and explained my situation. They said to bring the car in immediately so I’ll be taking it first thing this morning. I’m really hoping they resolve this issue but today so that I still have a day to test out the AP before my return window ends tomorrow.

Call the Tesla support number and tell them your car will not finish calibrating. They can remotely look a the logs and see what is going on. If it's a defective part, they will know.

I have bought plenty of cars that had a few issues that required warranty service within the first couple weeks of ownership. This is not unique to Tesla. What I don't understand is why you bought a Tesla if you have so little trust in the company. If you go into the Tesla ownership experience with that mindset, you will not be happy. I suggest ignoring all the complaints you see on this forum and build your opinion based on actual personal experiences. So far I have been very happy with Tesla service including their ability to get parts for my auto body shop (Model 3 is currently getting a new rear quarter panel).

Call the Tesla support number and tell them your car will not finish calibrating. They can remotely look a the logs and see what is going on. If it's a defective part, they will know.

I have bought plenty of cars that had a few issues that required warranty service within the first couple weeks of ownership. This is not unique to Tesla. What I don't understand is why you bought a Tesla if you have so little trust in the company. If you go into the Tesla ownership experience with that mindset, you will not be happy. I suggest ignoring all the complaints you see on this forum and build your opinion based on actual personal experiences. So far I have been very happy with Tesla service including their ability to get parts for my auto body shop (Model 3 is currently getting a new rear quarter panel).
Very well said

After contacting Tesla service, I was supposedly given a firmware update. I called back and found out that it was just a same update I already had when I bought the car. Regardless I put in more miles as per Tesla service’s instructions until last night. It is now at 288 miles and calibration is still in progress. As frustrating as I felt like Tesla was trying to waste away my valuable 7 days return window, I called my local dealer and explained my situation. They said to bring the car in immediately so I’ll be taking it first thing this morning. I’m really hoping they resolve this issue but today so that I still have a day to test out the AP before my return window ends tomorrow.
This is what warranty is for. It will all be fixed.

So many people on this forum are so quick to return a car over the smallest things.

Enjoy the car, drive the car, and let Tesla fix it