Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calibration of new LFP battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi! Just got my first tesla, my 2023 M3 on thursday!
last night i charged to 100% for the first time as tesla recommends charging the LFPs to 100% at least once a week.
i drove just 19km this morning and noticed the estimate already dropped down to 93%.
it seems like a big drop - 7% in one morning and i didn't drive that far. extrapolating roughly (very roughly i know) that means i'm going at 266km range which seems way below the expected range?? is it because the BMS is still trying to calibrate and i should charge to 100% more?
it's winter here but not sub zero. it's 7 degrees celsius.

cheers!

Last edited:
Although your title talks about calibration, it doesn't seem to be your BMS needing calibration, it is your understanding of range and your expectations :) There are tons of posts around here that ask similar questions, you might want to read around.
In short: The announced range on the Tesla website is based on EPA testing. You will only reach that if you drive like the EPA test: at or under 55mph, no of very little HVAC, no hills, no face wind etc. Real life conditions are rarely like EPA so your consumption will rarely be like EPA, It's not specific to Tesla, it's the same for all cars.
Also, the battery doesn't contain kilometers, it contains energy (kWh). Running the HVAC consumes energy from that same battery and will thus reduce the range even if you're not driving.

EDIT: The battery indicator will always show available energy, either in percentage or kilometers, but it is NOT based on recent driving. There's an energy graph that will show that, if you look for it.

last night i charged to 100% for the first time as tesla recommends charging the LFPs to 100% at least once a week.
i drove just 19km this morning and noticed the estimate already dropped down to 93%.
it seems like a big drop - 7% in one morning and i didn't drive that far. extrapolating roughly (very roughly i know) that means i'm going at 266km range which seems way below the expected range?? is it because the BMS is still trying to calibrate and i should charge to 100% more?

cheers!
Just take your Wh/mi on a typical drive of yours from the trip meter.

Then divide 60.5kWh*0.955 by the Wh/mi to give you your expected range. For an identical such trip. Assuming you drive continuously without stopping.

The 0.955 accounts for the buffer and is normally fixed, but on your car the buffer could get larger (so 0.955 could get smaller). But just charge to 100% periodically and this likely won’t be an issue. The 60.5kWh is only approximately valid and will become smaller as your car ages. Perhaps by up to 10% (not clear on LFPs yet).

The numbers on the % / km /mi are units of energy not range (the %, obviously not, but after conversion it is). Nothing to do with how far you can go.

Note you will also lose some energy while parked depending on whether you use features. Depending on how much you drive this can be significant.

Although your title talks about calibration, it doesn't seem to be your BMS needing calibration, it is your understanding of range and your expectations :) There are tons of posts around here that ask similar questions, you might want to read around.
In short: The announced range on the Tesla website is based on EPA testing. You will only reach that if you drive like the EPA test: at or under 55mph, no of very little HVAC, no hills, no face wind etc. Real life conditions are rarely like EPA so your consumption will rarely be like EPA, It's not specific to Tesla, it's the same for all cars.
Also, the battery doesn't contain kilometers, it contains energy (kWh). Running the HVAC consumes energy from that same battery and will thus reduce the range even if you're not driving.

EDIT: The battery indicator will always show available energy, either in percentage or kilometers, but it is NOT based on recent driving. There's an energy graph that will show that, if you look for it.
haha thanks. i feel like a fool! yes it's my thinking and understanding that needs calibration.
that makes total sense. ok so that percentage is the energy so i should really think in terms of that, not km.

i saw some reference to an energy app or something but have yet to find it on the screen. that's where this energy graph is i assume?

cheers!
A lot depends on the terrain and speed driven, and the weather. Wet roads will increase consumption.

We're at our winter home in SE Arizona ( just at the NM border) and so I do a lot of long distance driving.

If I drive at an average 60mph (~100kmh), to and from a destination, TM3 RWD car will have an honest range of 255 miles (410km) at 50F.

A 60% 60mph and 40% 84mph drive will drop that to ~230 miles at 60F.

Reactions: XPsionic
For what it's worth: I drive a (relatively ancient) 2018 M3 LR. Yeah, yeah: I know, everybody says that one'll never get the EPA range.

But that's not been my experience, at least in the spring/summer/fall, when the temps are above (roughly) 60F or so.

I live in the Eastern Seaboard, so, no, people tend not to pull 80 mph with the cops pulling 90 like they all do out past the Mississippi. 70 mph on the interstates is about right to keep up with the flow; slower when it's congested. On long trips. so long as jackrabbit starts and stops are avoided, I'll beat the 250 W-hr/mile that the car is rated for without too much trouble.

Winter time, it's the other way around, but that's true for ICE vehicles as well.

Admittedly, part of the fun of having a Tesla is being able to snap the heads of any and all passengers up against the headrests, just like a carnival ride. No surprise: do a lot of that, and one's mileage is going to suffer.

I'll beat the 250 W-hr/mile that the car is rated for without too much trouble.
If you have an 2018 LR RWD you need to do better than 224Wh/mi.

If you have a 2018 LR AWD you need to do better than 234Wh/mi (this corresponds to the 250Wh/mi rated line, which is 5Wh/mi higher than rated, and then accounts for the 0.955 display factor).

All to 0%, which most people don’t like to go below.

Straightforward to verify this yourself, of course.

Reactions: AAKEE
Took delivery of new 2023 Rwd a month ago. Very first charge to 100% maxed out at 418km versus the advertised WLTP of 455km. Service centre gave instructions on recalibration the BMS, tried that 4 times, still get to 418km at 100% charge. Took it to the service centre today and they tell us the battery is fine, that seeing 418km is OK. Got the long winded tech explanations on why 418km is OK. Simple question; on full recharge should I still not expect to see 455km? What happens in the real world after that happens in the real world but at least I would be working down from 455km not 418km. I'm struggling to accept this can be correct and I'm being shirt changed on 8% of the battery range / cost of the car. Am I wrong?

Took delivery of new 2023 Rwd a month ago. Very first charge to 100% maxed out at 418km versus the advertised WLTP of 455km. Service centre gave instructions on recalibration the BMS, tried that 4 times, still get to 418km at 100% charge. Took it to the service centre today and they tell us the battery is fine, that seeing 418km is OK. Got the long winded tech explanations on why 418km is OK. Simple question; on full recharge should I still not expect to see 455km? What happens in the real world after that happens in the real world but at least I would be working down from 455km not 418km. I'm struggling to accept this can be correct and I'm being shirt changed on 8% of the battery range / cost of the car. Am I wrong?
AIUI the displayed range in the car is based upon USA EPA figures which are generally more accurate than the EU WLTP range. What wheel and tire options do you have on your M3 RWD?

Cdn 2022-23 RWD M3s will display 438km when fitted with 18in aerowheels (at least mine did).

Hi Duncan, we have the standard 19" gemini which are supposed to give 455km
I'm confused. Do you have a Model 3 RWD or a Model Y RWD?

The Tesla Ireland website states a M3 RWD WLTP range of 510/491lm with 18/19in wheels and a WLTP range of 455km for the RWD MY with 19in wheels.

The Cdn MY RWD will display an EPA/NRC range of 394km, but that might be higher as they haven't produced official numbers yet. I suspect your car is displaying what will be the official EPA/NRC range.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
which are supposed to give 455km
If you are quoting a WLTP number (which sounds like the case), just ignore it.

You need to determine what the EPA-rated range of your vehicle would be I think. Which could be tricky if it has not been officially EPA tested by Tesla and test results submitted to regulators in the US. Or consult in knowledgeable forum what the new pack capacity is (say, from SMT on a new vehicle), and compare vs. energy-screen method.

Probably your car is just fine and you are wasting your time but hard to say without doing the work.

Reactions: DuncanM