Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calif AB 2565 - Rental Property: Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
Earth
I hadn't seen this posted yet, and thought it would be a good thing to share. Chargepoint sent out an email about supporting AB 2565 in California.

As a renter who had a landlord deny me installation of a charging station, or even outlet, for charging, I think this bill would be a good change!

Here is a copy of the email:

"Hello there,

Did you know that currently in California, lease restrictions are blocking tenants – both individuals and businesses – from installing electric vehicle (EV) charging stations?

You can help stop this from happening by signing a letter to support assembly bill (AB) 2565.

AB 2565 by Assemblymember Muratsuchi would ensure that a lease cannot unfairly restrict a tenant – a business or apartment dweller – from installing an EV charging station so long as the tenant pays for the station, installation and upkeep.

If a tenant, individual or business owner wants to pay to provide EV charging for their family, employees, customers or the public, it’s important they have that right.

Sign your name to support individuals and businesses who want to provide EV charging to drivers like you.

For more information, here’s the full text of AB 2565.

Best Regards,

Richard Lowenthal
Co-founder and CTO
ChargePoint"

Has anyone installed a charger under this policy? I'm looking (somewhat tentatively) to get an estimate from a firm or electrician with large apartment complex experience (probably cost-prohibited given the underground parking garage but I'm still curious). My apartment's garage has plenty of 120V outlets, but none that we're allowed to use.

@ciparis Ya, the charging world has changed a lot in this time. We now have new charging providers like NRG EVgo with CHADEMO capability, etc.
I have to tell you, 6 months ago, my landlord sold my house with the garage and charging station. I am now in an apartment complex in San Rafael. No charging here. But I manage to get by with SuperChargers around the Bay Area where I travel for work. Also the occasional HPWC at a Tesla store where I happen to be shopping anyway. It works out.

Reactions: bmah
Not sure if this is in the bill, but I think tenants should also pay for the electricity cost of charging. I think this is where the pushback is coming from. Installation cost isn't much if you find the right electrician and the stations are now pretty darn cheap compared to a few years ago. It is the electricity cost that can cost a lot if the tenants isn't paying for the electricity to charge their car. It is essentially saying ill pay for a one time fee to install a gas station and any repairs if necessary but landlord must pay for the gas to fill my car.

So if upkeep includes the electricity cost then I fully support this bill, otherwise they need to put it in there to make it fair for all parties.

One kink to this is that sometimes, major electrical work may be needed to add EV charging to a building's electrical system.
For example, my building is a 6-condo deal, where I lease one of them. The main electrical panel does not have enough capacity for what it does today, so no chance of adding even a NEMA 14-50 to it.
And it is a Federal Pacific panel, and no electrician will touch it, to add to it, or upgrade it.

I was willing to pay for the 14-50 install, but not the panel upgrade! Not that the HOA is willing to upgrade the panel anyway...

One kink to this is that sometimes, major electrical work may be needed to add EV charging to a building's electrical system.
For example, my building is a 6-condo deal, where I lease one of them. The main electrical panel does not have enough capacity for what it does today, so no chance of adding even a NEMA 14-50 to it.
And it is a Federal Pacific panel, and no electrician will touch it, to add to it, or upgrade it.

I was willing to pay for the 14-50 install, but not the panel upgrade! Not that the HOA is willing to upgrade the panel anyway...
Your HOA should replace the Federal Pacific panel. It is a fire hazard: Are Federal Pacific Circuit Breaker Panels Safe?

If your home was built between 1950 and 1990 and is equipped with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) circuit breaker panel with Stab-Lok circuit breakers, you run a significant risk of breaker malfunction and fire.