TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

California $2500 rebate income limit based on which year's income?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quesder, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Quesder

Quesder Member

Hi all,
    I ordered a Tesla and the delivery date is in March. I will apply CA rebate to get $2500 inventive.
    my last year's income is below $300,000 limit, and I estimate this year it won't surpass $300,000 as long as I don't sell any stock shares.

But this really makes me uncomfortable because I am afraid that the stock price might drop any time in this year.

So, when I take the delivery, can I apply for the $2500 CA rebate immediately using 2016 income, or do I have to provide evidence of 2017 income and apply in 2018?

I should have asked this question last year when I was ordering...

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Income Eligibility

Google is your friend here... Says right there under the income chart what documentation they require... :)

Jeff

3. Quesder

Quesder Member

Looks like I need to provide 2016 income ? So I can make money without any concern this year.

4. phaduman

phaduman Supporting Member

When I applied for the rebate in Oct 2016 (rushed before the income limit dropped), I used the completed 2015 tax returns. No issues.

For you, you need to send the "completed/approved" income statement. In your case, I think it would be 2016 income.

5. hmmm

hmmm Member

(before someone gets on my case, yes, I will/should consult a tax professional.)

Now that this is out of the way, I am curious to see how one should interpret the regulations:

a) I understand the income limitations but
    b) I am confused by the household restriction (ie living under the same roof, sharing expenses...).

If I am a single filer, none of the restrictions/calculations re. to household should not apply, correct? for instance, a "roomate" type of situation...

6. oktane

oktane Active Member

If you are a single filer, your "roommate" would not count towards your income limit as a single filer. Of course you can't use the joint filer limits.