Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the licenseplatewrap website, under the FAQs:

Q10: Is License Plate Wrap (LPW) street legal?

A: Yes, as long you participate in the pilot program and received a letter from the DMV of Sacramento.

How long does it typically take to receive the letter from DMV ? Is the wait similar to the CAV decal wait ? I realize the wait may be extended because of the coronavirus.
Letter comes before the plate wrap Even if the plate wrap came before the letter due to the new weirdness, I would put it on. One of the stipulations in the DMV letter is that you must carry the metal front plate in the car at all times. I kept the stick-on front plate holder that comes with the car. So worst case scenario, you get stopped by a cop and he asks about the plate wrap and you don’t have your letter yet, you can put the metal plate on with the stick-on holder right then and there.

• Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL
On the licenseplatewrap website, under the FAQs:

Q10: Is License Plate Wrap (LPW) street legal?

A: Yes, as long you participate in the pilot program and received a letter from the DMV of Sacramento.

How long does it typically take to receive the letter from DMV ? Is the wait similar to the CAV decal wait ? I realize the wait may be extended because of the coronavirus.

I ordered a few weeks ago and got the DMV letter within a week. Even with the shutdown. I couldn’t believe it! Got the sticker about a week later. Great service!

I put down a rectangle of PPF and then used the factory bracket. Spending money on an aftermarket bracket is six levels of stupid faffery as far as I’m concerned.

$4.90 (+shipping). Boom.

No blockage of radar (as long as you center) or of the air intake. Best results if you curve the plate on the vertical axis into a concave to match the curve of the nose. It looks great even when you have to put it on, the plate just sort of optically "floats" there.

Recommend you order a couple sets, as they age over time and use and can lose the pliability that lets them seal to hold well. Recommend you replace once/year. My first set lasted nearly 18 months, then one of them became unreliable so I replaced the whole set. They will NOT come free while driving but can come loose while sitting, especially in direct sun which causes the small bit of air left inside to inflate.

Last edited:
I ordered a few weeks ago and got the DMV letter within a week. Even with the shutdown. I couldn’t believe it! Got the sticker about a week later. Great service!

Ordered mine a few weeks ago. For some reason the DMV couldn't match up my information so I had to send a photo of my registration. After they received that, got my letter the next week, then another week for the plate (today!). And, installed now.

Thanks to Lectric_Agent for posting link to LPW, and to EVnut to showing placement. I wasn't sure how low I could place as the shape of the bumper had me wondering.

OK, so I ordered my new LPW and the DMV couldn't verify my info so I sent a copy of the current registration. I received 'the letter' and now waiting for the Wrap.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove the stock stick-on front plate holder that won't pull the paint off with it? Maybe a hairdryer would help make the adhesive release?

rf

OK, so I ordered my new LPW and the DMV couldn't verify my info so I sent a copy of the current registration. I received 'the letter' and now waiting for the Wrap.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove the stock stick-on front plate holder that won't pull the paint off with it? Maybe a hairdryer would help make the adhesive release?

rf
Hair dryer is probably a good bet.

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle