Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Rebate - 2020 Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla is unable to deliver my car in December and doesn't offer a discount to offset the net increase in cost of the vehicle by at least the federal tax credit of $1,875, and possibly even more if California doesn't offer any rebates in CY2020, I'm 100% cancelling my order and expecting a full refund of the deposit. Mind you, some of us Californians will already lose out on an extra $500 if we miss the 12/3/19 filing deadline and, for Northern Californians, possibly $800 if PG&E ends their EV rebate program.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
If Tesla is unable to deliver my car in December and doesn't offer a discount to offset the net increase in cost of the vehicle by at least the federal tax credit of $1,875, and possibly even more if California doesn't offer any rebates in CY2020, I'm 100% cancelling my order and expecting a full refund of the deposit. Mind you, some of us Californians will already lose out on an extra $500 if we miss the 12/3/19 filing deadline and, for Northern Californians, possibly $800 if PG&E ends their EV rebate program.

Edited for clarity.
I wouldn’t count on the PG&E rebate in any case. They are in bankruptcy. They pay according to what a judge tells them to pay. An EV owner would likely be at the end of the line next to other creditors.

Chapter 11 won't end the rebate program, and bankruptcy judge shouldn't have input in post-filing liabilities.. It may have had an affect for owners who submitted the paperwork to PG&E just before the filing.

In the broad scheme of things, this rebate is a tiny, tiny percentage of PG&E's revenues and liabilities.

Then again, this is a massive case, so anything is possible. So... get that paperwork done and in the mail ASAP!

Reactions: OverEZPZ
Chapter 11 won't end the rebate program, and bankruptcy judge shouldn't have input in post-filing liabilities.. It may have had an affect for owners who submitted the paperwork to PG&E just before the filing.

In the broad scheme of things, this rebate is a tiny, tiny percentage of PG&E's revenues and liabilities.

Then again, this is a massive case, so anything is possible. So... get that paperwork done and in the mail ASAP!
Well right now it’s stockholders vs. bondholders. Not very pretty.

Well, get the paperwork for all programs in the mail - but I think you need to get your car first.

Reactions: OverEZPZ
The date you place your order and deposit is the day you have a committment from Tesla.

What ever has happened the day before has no bearing on your speciall circumstances.

Prices, configurations and rebates are a constantly changing landscape. Some will get the benefits, others may not.

Tesla list available governmental and utility offers, but is not bound by them. They have no control who get a benefit or how much.

Cancelling your order may make you feel better, but will have absolutely no bearing on Tesla. They will just sell your car to the next person in line...and the line is currently long.

I called CVRP (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) and spoke to their agent.
866-984-2532 (I encourage you guys to call and confirm as well)

He informed me that $60k max would be off the MSRP base price, so he said all Tesla Model 3 is eligible for the $2000 rebate after Dec 3rd.

I gave him my example, car $55,990 + FSD $6k = $61,990. He said that I would still be eligible.

He sounds confidence, but who knows??

At this point, I think I’ll take a gamble and keep my $6K FSD vs paying $7k later on.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: CaptainSlooow
I called CVRP (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) and spoke to their agent.
866-984-2532 (I encourage you guys to call and confirm as well)

He informed me that $60k max would be off the MSRP base price, so he said all Tesla Model 3 is eligible for the $2000 rebate after Dec 3rd.

I gave him my example, car $55,990 + FSD $6k = $61,990. He said that I would still be eligible.

He sounds confidence, but who knows??

At this point, I think I’ll take a gamble and keep my $6K FSD vs paying $7k later on.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip! I just called CVRP as well and the agent confirmed the same, that the "rebate is based on the MSRP, which for the Model 3 is like $35k or something" (his words). This means I get to keep my $6k FSD and upgraded b/w interior for my Performance model.

I was also concerned about the 2 rebate limit, as I've already received them for my 2013 Fiat and 2017 Bolt. But then I saw an FAQ where it states that the 2 rebate limit didn't take effect until 1/1/2015, and all rebates issued prior to this date do not count toward the two rebate limit (my Fiat rebate was issued in 2014).

It's a good day. :)

Thanks for the tip! I just called CVRP as well and the agent confirmed the same, that the "rebate is based on the MSRP, which for the Model 3 is like $35k or something" (his words). This means I get to keep my $6k FSD and upgraded b/w interior for my Performance model.

I was also concerned about the 2 rebate limit, as I've already received them for my 2013 Fiat and 2017 Bolt. But then I saw an FAQ where it states that the 2 rebate limit didn't take effect until 1/1/2015, and all rebates issued prior to this date do not count toward the two rebate limit (my Fiat rebate was issued in 2014).

It's a good day. :)

We bought our Leaf in 2012, so I really hope this is true. At the very least, I will be applying.

So I wasn't able to get through with CVRP but the tesla rep who has been emailing me isn't confident that CA won't move the world goal posts.

I have a P3D on order (red/white) and with destination and fees it comes to over 61k (even though online calculator shows 59990 from Tesla).

I'm really torn. Short story the tesla advisor thinks that the red color is going to push me over 60k if you include destination fees and other registration costs in the sticker price.

I guess it really depends on what the CVRP actually considers the price of the car.

So I wasn't able to get through with CVRP but the tesla rep who has been emailing me isn't confident that CA won't move the world goal posts.

I have a P3D on order (red/white) and with destination and fees it comes to over 61k (even though online calculator shows 59990 from Tesla).

I'm really torn. Short story the tesla advisor thinks that the red color is going to push me over 60k if you include destination fees and other registration costs in the sticker price.

I guess it really depends on what the CVRP actually considers the price of the car.

There were multiple reports on here from people that called in to ask, and they said the MSRP will be based on the base model of the car, so it doesn’t matter which trim you get, if it’s a model 3, it will qualify even if you max it out to over $60k.

Seems odd that my Order Advisor wouldn't know the specifics for whether my current configuration is eligible or not.

I sent this e-mail to my OA today:

" for purposes of the California Clean Vehicle Rebate Program, is my configuration considered under the 60k cap (if FSD is purchased separately?) seems silly that if your car is over 59,999 then you get zero rebate after 12/03/2019."

BuenaPark_Delivery
12:44 PM (4 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello Cameron,

Since you ordered a performance model 3 it does not come in a configuration with anything other than 20" wheels. As for inventory we do not have any cars for any configuration unfortunately, we do expect to start receiving cars towards the middle of December and will reach out to you when you are assigned a VIN.

I do understand your feelings on the rebate, however it is something that is done through the State of California and we have no power over it. The car you ordered without taxes and fees comes to $67190 so unfortunately it does not qualify for the California Rebate, even if you were to take off the Full self driving and white interior it would still be more than the 60k cutoff. You can see your price breakdown online on your tesla account.

If you have any more questions please let us know!​

xxxxxx
cleardot.gif
3:54 PM (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to BuenaPark_Delivery
cleardot.gif

So you're predicting that no matter what, i'm likely for a delivery after December 3rd? I wouldn't want to forfeit the entire rebate over a paint colour.

Argh that's so annoying that CA includes fees in their number calculation; that essentially turns a 2000 paint colour into a 4000 paint colour if you lose the rebate because of it.

I have reached out to CVRP but they didn't given me a response on what they consider the number for the rebate cutoff.

I would switch my configuration to preserve the rebate; is this feasible?

I tried to draw up a table for possible configurations using the numbers from my invoice, and I am wondering if I'm in the right ballpark, I know the registration for a vehicle without FSD and without additional paint or interior should technically be less since the MSRP is lower, but I didn't want to crunch those numbers and just used the higher number from the more expensive build (what I had ordered.)

BuenaPark_Delivery
4:45 PM (43 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

As of right now yes that is correct.

If you were to remove the red paint, white interior, and FSD, your car should be just under the 60k threshold for the rebate at $58190 (this is without taxes and fees) but again this is just an estimate and i do not know if the rebate includes taxes or not. If you would like us to remove these options please let us know as soon as possible.

Tesla Buena Park Delivery Team
=========

So yeah, idk... Anyone have anything in writing from CVRP?

I really don't want to change up my order... P3D+ Red/White
This is a quick table I crunched using the assumption that my configuration does not satisfy the 60k requirement...
to M3, or not to M3 - CVRP Configs.png

Attachments

• to M3, or not to M3 - CVRP Configs.pdf
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
There were multiple reports on here from people that called in to ask, and they said the MSRP will be based on the base model of the car, so it doesn’t matter which trim you get, if it’s a model 3, it will qualify even if you max it out to over $60k.
And I would not rely on that. However, I would be surprised if the costs included registration and even destination charges. What Tesla really should be doing is allowing people to add FSD within 30 days of delivery (at same costs) so that costs would not be included.

Reactions: ZappCatt
@ambudriver03,

Your Tesla rep is speaking complete nonsense. Virtually everything a Tesla rep says is just flat out wrong.

The December 3 change to the CA EV program states that
  • An MSRP cap of $60,000 will be instituted on all vehicles with the exception of fuel cell electric vehicles.
MSRP is the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, period. It’s not the price you paid for the car. It’s not the price with taxes and fees. It is simply the published retail price of the car.

The only area that I think could be gray is whether adding FSD would be considered an increase to the MSRP. I believe two people have called to check and CVRP has stated that FSD is not factored in. Since FSD now costs $7K whether you purchase it at delivery of afterward I would probably play it safe and order it afterward if you are buying a Performance Model 3. For LR AWD or SR+ it shouldn’t matter either way.

If you look at the details of the change on the CVRP website, it lists examples of cars that don't meet the $60k limit. What's interesting is the wording:

Below is the list of vehicles that will no longer be eligible for the CVRP rebate beginning with any applications submitted on or after December 3, 2019:

Does not have a base Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000 or less:

• Audi e-tron
  • Jaguar I-PACE
  • Karma Revero GT
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X

It specifically says "base" MSRP. That sounds in line with the two reports from people who have called in to ask. I guess no one will know for sure until December 3rd, but still interesting.

Reactions: ZappCatt
@ambudriver03,

Your Tesla rep is speaking complete nonsense. Virtually everything a Tesla rep says is just flat out wrong.

The December 3 change to the CA EV program states that
  • An MSRP cap of $60,000 will be instituted on all vehicles with the exception of fuel cell electric vehicles.
MSRP is the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, period. It’s not the price you paid for the car. It’s not the price with taxes and fees. It is simply the published retail price of the car.

I absolutely agree with this, in the implementation manual it says nothing about the cost of the vehicles, but essentially says that whatever vehicles are on the approved list are the ones rebates will be accepted for.

the CVRP implementation manual makes no mention of vehicle trims; you'd think that if they wanted to be more 'selective'; that they'd update their implementation manual to indicate that vehicles that COST more than 60k are excluded.

Getting closer and thinking we’re definitely not getting our performance models prior to the deadline.

Has anyone dropped FSD already to get the price under the $60k? It’s showing like it would only be $6k (ordered on 10/16) to re-add after the fact.

Also, have we determined that this is a software addition since all M3s since early 2019 all have HW3? Wondering if the drop would effect the delivery date.

Has anyone asked Tesla about the 500 dollar loss in rebates from orders fulfilled after Dec 03? Considering they still list it as an incentive on their site, and those of us who ordered before and in the beginning of October assumed we would get our cars in “2 weeks”, wouldn’t it be right for Tesla to prioritize those who ordered before November 01 when the change was announced? Or if they could make up for it with 500 dollars off since they are the ones that are delivering last to California.
I have applied to be pre-approved through the clean vehicle rebate program. It says that the application has to be received before Dec 3rd. I will submit the remaining paperwork once the deal is done. It will probably take them longer to process my application than to get my car since they have an estimated time frame of 28 days from the application.

Reactions: tren01t