Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Supercharger Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of wish this was permanent as this would avoid locals without home charging clogging up superchargers. This would especially be a big help for charging while on a road trip in the usual areas where there are few superchargers but lots of people without home charging: LA, Fresno, SD, and Bay Area. I think the huge price difference would incentivize most people without home charging to charge off peak while those on a road trip would be willing to pay the higher peak rates.

Reactions: israndy
The SoCal TOU-D-Prime rate for EV charging at night is $0.16/kWh. If this actually continue, you are going to see superchargers pretty full at night and morning.
I dunno about you but PG&E has split charges for off peak like generation + delivery. So that $0.16/kwh is just part of it. The other part was $0.07/kwh so it ends up closer to $0.24 for me..... I can't wait for solar

Does anyone know what the current Supercharger prices are in the East Bay? We are looking at placing in an order once we get approved for the CVAP, but want to calculate how much we could be saving compared to gas with my current car. I guess you can't see the prices unless you own the car already.

Does anyone know what the current Supercharger prices are in the East Bay? We are looking at placing in an order once we get approved for the CVAP, but want to calculate how much we could be saving compared to gas with my current car. I guess you can't see the prices unless you own the car already.
It’s usually 35 cents a kWh unless you charge off peak at a station with time of use rates. Realistically, the savings will probably be close to none in comparison to gasoline. The main data point I have to support this is that on road trips I usually spend on supercharging my Model 3 Performance what I’d normally spend in gas driving a 30 MPG car. If you’re comparing to a fuel efficient car like a Prius you actually would spend more money supercharging than gas.

The only scenario where you’d come out ahead in savings compared to a gas car is charging at home with a favorable electricity rate.

Last edited:
It’s usually 35 cents a kWh unless you charge off peak at a station with time of use rates. Realistically, the savings will probably be close to none in comparison to gasoline. The main data point I have to support this is that on road trips I usually spend on supercharging my Model 3 Performance what I’d normally spend in gas driving a 30 MPG car. If you’re comparing to a fuel efficient car like a Prius you actually would spend more money supercharging than gas.

The only scenario where you’d come out ahead in savings compared to a gas car is charging at home with a favorable electricity rate.

I appreciate the info! I know it depends on the area you live, but do you happen to know what the average cost is when charging at home?

My current car costs on average about $0.15/mile. From what you provided about superchargers, I calculated about $0.09/mile, and with the average electricity cost in CA being about $0.20/kWH, I came out with $0.05/mile.

I appreciate the info! I know it depends on the area you live, but do you happen to know what the average cost is when charging at home?

My current car costs on average about $0.15/mile. From what you provided about superchargers, I calculated about $0.09/mile, and with the average electricity cost in CA being about $0.20/kWH, I came out with $0.05/mile.
Do not forget about cost of ownership over say 10 years, not only saving on gas prices but maintenance, and of course helping the environment.

Do not forget about cost of ownership over say 10 years, not only saving on gas prices but maintenance, and of course helping the environment.

Oh yeah of course! My current car is a WRX with about 73K miles, and I know I have some big maintenance costs coming up, so I want to trade it in before then. The car is definitely not environmentally friendly either with all my mods, so that will be another positive.

Without knowing a ton of specifics let me confirm your math here. If you say your current car costs an average $0.15/mile then working backwards from a 3.25 a gallon price that’s about 22 MPG or so. If you assume let’s say an average of 280 Wh/mi consumption on your new car that works out to about .35/(1/.280) which is close to your estimated $.09/mile (the answer is 10 cents per mile if you round). At a rate of $.20/kWh at home then it would be .20/(1/.280) which is close to your $0.05/mile your figuring (the answer is 6 cents per mile if you round).

If your car gets around 22 MPG as I calculated then yes, you’ll definitely be saving on fueling costs.

Reactions: Russell
Without knowing a ton of specifics let me confirm your math here. If you say your current car costs an average $0.15/mile then working backwards from a 3.25 a gallon price that’s about 22 MPG or so. If you assume let’s say an average of 280 Wh/mi consumption on your new car that works out to about .35/(1/.280) which is close to your estimated $.09/mile (the answer is 10 cents per mile if you round). At a rate of $.20/kWh at home then it would be .20/(1/.280) which is close to your $0.05/mile your figuring (the answer is 6 cents per mile if you round).

If your car gets around 22 MPG as I calculated then yes, you’ll definitely be saving on fueling costs.

Okay, thank you for confirming my calculations. My car gets about 20MPG and I used an estimated range of 325mi, because we were looking at a LR Model 3

Range should be calculated at 80% of that 325 for travel. You only charge to 100% when you know when you are leaving the next morning, set it to charge all the way up the night before. Stopping to supercharge to 100% will double the time you spend charging.

Also, realize that you won't even charge to 80% while enroute, you'll just charge enough to get you comfortably to the next supercharger. Often that means you are 5-15 minutes charging before getting back on the road. I am regularly done charging before I am done peeing.

The prices were tweaked again in California. Slowly they are creeping up. The recently implemented 20 cents/40 cents has gone up again to 21 cents/42 cents on most stations and the fixed 35 cents for non TOU has changed from as low as 22 cents to as high as 39 cents per kWh. There are a lot more outliers this time kind of matching the lower cost electricity providers in the state (SMUD, MID, etc) but everywhere else in the IOU and LADWP territories are the previously mentioned 21/42 price. Looking around the state, the three lowest cost (with no TOU pricing) stations are Roseville (both stations) and Modesto. Everywhere else seems to be in the 36 to 39 cent per kWh range.

It may make it harder for me to recoup the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter I bought. Off-peak cost of $0.09/kWh is bad enough but the 50% discount from peak cost is in line with the $0.19 I get from using the adapter at the local ChargePoint DCFC station.

edit: Oh, geez... it's even worse. Just checked the pricing at the usual Supercharger station that I go to: $0.21/kWh all day.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: israndy
Power provider is increasing rates. Some parking spots are probably not free either. Tesla has to cover some overhead.

For example, I negotiated 10 superchargers at my work that we were going to pay for everyone's (not just employees) charges. It was going to run out of our meter (we have massive solar). Tesla was paying for construction and we will pay for electricity.

The landlord wanted us to pay $200 a month per parking spot (10 year lease) because we're in a paid parking business complex. We would have to ask Tesla to charge everyone instead. Not a great perk at work if it's not free so we bailed.

Power provider is increasing rates. Some parking spots are probably not free either. Tesla has to cover some overhead.

For example, I negotiated 10 superchargers at my work that we were going to pay for everyone's (not just employees) charges. It was going to run out of our meter (we have massive solar). Tesla was paying for construction and we will pay for electricity.

The landlord wanted us to pay $200 a month per parking spot (10 year lease) because we're in a paid parking business complex. We would have to ask Tesla to charge everyone instead. Not a great perk at work if it's not free so we bailed.
Supercharger or Destination charger?

Supercharger or Destination charger?

Superchargers. It's in a paid parking lot, but free on weekends. We can't have none employees there paying $5 an hour to charge at lvl2. Doesn't make any sense. It's kind of like the SC in the private LA hotel except we will cover all charges like what Qualcomm (not sure if it's still free) used to do.

I'm looking into level 2 chargers at our new office building. Since we don't have solar, and it's not gated, we'll have to charge visitors so our employees have spots open for them. I made a request that free EV charging is a must at our new building. Our sister company has plenty for their employees so we should have them too :)

Reactions: Need