Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Tesla service broke my windshield on accident.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went in to pickup my car (had $725 50k service done, $450 in tpms' as well as some warranty work done) and the SA tells me a mechanic dropped a tool on my windshield and damaged it so they replaced it. I asked OK with OEM glass right? They said yes.

Now at the time I didn't think much of it, however this car had a $1500 ceramic coding applied in the last year which included the windshield only. I hadn't thought about that until it started to rain again and noticed the water was not beading like it should. The detail shop wants $185 to re-apply the coating. Should I ask/fight to have tesla pay for that? I have a feeling they're gonna say no...in my small amount of experience with the shop thus far I have found they try to get out of work any way they can, or charge for it..for example those tpms' even though I have ESA.

...Do u mean try to bring the bill to another Tesla service center?

No, not another Service Center.

If the original center covered your TPMS, I wouldn't give them a hard time.

Because they were not cooperative with you to cover the TPMS, I would come back to them and give them a hard time by making them refund back to you the TPMS cost, and if that fails then have them pay the ceramic coating bill at least.

No, not another Service Center.

If the original center covered your TPMS, I wouldn't give them a hard time.

Because they were not cooperative with you to cover the TPMS, I would come back to them and give them a hard time by making them refund back to you the TPMS cost, and if that fails then have them pay the ceramic coating bill at least.
Ok thanks. Yeah I might try that since folks think I should press them hard on the issue. More details though: They say that tpms is a ware item because it has a battery and 2) the tpms that are in the wheels I have don’t match the tpms brain on the car (because the previous owner had arachnids and those had conti’s). Mine are the 19” Tesla wheels with the older tpms version so the conti tpms brain on the car and the old version of my tpms’ are not compatible. They say the old owner changed the old brain to the new continent brain when she upgraded the wheels. I opted to go with 19s instead of the anarachnids but didn’t known they were not compatible.

Last edited:
Tesla would only warranty the original wheels, rubber, and TPMS that came with the car originally.

It sounds like there's been change of parts from original, so yeah, I think it's on you for repairs of all those items. Unless those parts came with their own separate warranties. The general car warranty won't cover them.

Tesla would only warranty the original wheels, rubber, and TPMS that came with the car originally.

It sounds like there's been change of parts from original, so yeah, I think it's on you for repairs of all those items. Unless those parts came with their own separate warranties. The general car warranty won't cover them.
Yeah that’s what I thought. All good then

if you read the fine print of waivers you sign for getting work done in the shop it might say they only replace broken parts with Tesla OE spec parts, it would be goodwill on their part to comp you for the aftermarket treatments.

Rather than demand the money, ask if they can get the treatment done for less than you'd pay retail. Shops have better buying power than you ..

and that vendor may want to make a sales call on Tesla shop to promote their product or aftermarket services .. so it could be very cheap or even free for them to come and show Tesla their stuff on your car as a demo. And you'd get a supreme job done.

when it comes to glass Tesla is the only option.

It's a actually a small miracle they were able to get a windshield part to replace yours... it can takes weeks/months to get a windshield where I live.

Reactions: tubaprde
if you read the fine print of waivers you sign for getting work done in the shop it might say they only replace broken parts with Tesla OE spec parts, it would be goodwill on their part to comp you for the aftermarket treatments.

Rather than demand the money, ask if they can get the treatment done for less than you'd pay retail. Shops have better buying power than you ..

and that vendor may want to make a sales call on Tesla shop to promote their product or aftermarket services .. so it could be very cheap or even free for them to come and show Tesla their stuff on your car as a demo. And you'd get a supreme job done.

when it comes to glass Tesla is the only option.

It's a actually a small miracle they were able to get a windshield part to replace yours... it can takes weeks/months to get a windshield where I live.

Telsa broke it they need to replace it, regardless if it was aftermarket or not, if they don't replace it they get to pay for the damaged value.

Also, Tesla won't all anyone after market near their shop. Tesla wants nothing to do with after market parts and accessories if you haven't noticed.