Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California teslas and HOV lane free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the question is... is it still a fine? I mean it's illegal for me to drive w/o insurance however if I get a ticket for not having my proof of insurance be with me (and I am insured) I can simply show proof to the court and have the ticket dismissed. Is this not the case here?
Unfortunatey it isn't a correctable violation. So you can't put the stickers on after you're cited and get the ticket signed off, paying just the $25 dismissal fee.

To this day I don't see what peoples issues are with the stickers... Under CA law, you must have all of them affixed to the correct locations or you could be cited. I know people who have been cited for keeping them in their glove box and such. Just put them on your car and be done with it, it's the price you pay for getting in the HOV lane, and reduced bridge tools, when you otherwise legally couldn't.

Jeff

They are supposed to be changing the transponder strategy to crack down on cheating. For example, on the I680 ExpressLane, the stickers are enough for now, but on the new I580 ExpressLane, you need to use the new Flex transponder and set it to 3+. I would assume they will start doing that on I680 too. In the last month or so, I see them really cracking down on HOV cheaters.

But the question is... is it still a fine? I mean it's illegal for me to drive w/o insurance however if I get a ticket for not having my proof of insurance be with me (and I am insured) I can simply show proof to the court and have the ticket dismissed. Is this not the case here?

Whats the point in having the sticker if you're too vain to put it on your car and expect to be pulled over. What was a convenience factor immediately becomes a liability and what was a faster commute gets protracted to a regular one while you try and explain yourself...which by the way will work once if you're lucky - then you will be tagged in the system as pulled over for that reason.

The earlier post about keeping your tags in your car...that sometimes works; however, California does have a hefty fine for those they decide to charge with improper display of plates or lack there of...its >$500.00 and a friend of mine was recently issued that because he didn't feel the need to put his permanent plate on when it arrived 3 months earlier - its a judgement call by the CHP....they give breaks out about as much as I win the lottery.

They are supposed to be changing the transponder strategy to crack down on cheating. For example, on the I680 ExpressLane, the stickers are enough for now, but on the new I580 ExpressLane, you need to use the new Flex transponder and set it to 3+. I would assume they will start doing that on I680 too. In the last month or so, I see them really cracking down on HOV cheaters.

I also keep my stickers in the glove box... Don't use the HOV lanes everyday, so my chances are a little better. I would love to see if the stickers can be moved to the license plates. Maybe there is an obvious reason that hasn't happened.

Interesting comment on the transponders. Maybe one day, the stickers go away completely.....

I live in a rural area in California and only go to the land of HOV lanes, tolls, etc. about once a month.
I hate the look of the stickers are worry about damage to the car paint.
Someone in another thread proposed a removable sticker solution which I use. I can put the stickers on when needed and remove them cleanly when not needed. I use this material:
Amazon.com - Crafty-Fab by Vinyl Oasis - Self-Adhesive Craft -

I attach the sticker to this fabric which has an adhesive back and is "Removable, Repositionable, & Reusable. Restickable up to 100 times! "
So far, it's worked well. It sticks well and removes easily. I always apply it to a clean surface and water doesn't seem to bother it.
This probably won't be a good solution if you need to use the HOV lanes frequently but for me, it's great.

(Note: This may violate some rule about applying the stickers "permanently" but I don't want a permanent sticker and nobody can tell the difference.)

I also keep my stickers in the glove box... Don't use the HOV lanes everyday, so my chances are a little better. I would love to see if the stickers can be moved to the license plates. Maybe there is an obvious reason that hasn't happened.
The main reason is probably so the CHP can to see the sticker from the side, not just from the back where a license plate would be visible.

I would love an EV license plate offered. they have all sorts of custom plates, from "Pet Lovers" to "Supporting Lake Tahoe". Is seems like adding a EV plate would not be that hard.

My wife's idea is to affix the stickers to flexible, thin sheets of magnetic material. Then cut the material out in the shapes of the stickers. Then put that on the car on days when you'll be using HOV. Store them in the glove box when you aren't. I like this idea because I don't use HOV very often.

My wife's idea is to affix the stickers to flexible, thin sheets of magnetic material. Then cut the material out in the shapes of the stickers. Then put that on the car on days when you'll be using HOV. Store them in the glove box when you aren't. I like this idea because I don't use HOV very often.
I don't think magnetic material would stick to the aluminum body or plastic bumper cover.

Actually no. That front plate isn't going anywhere near my car, nor is the drill that is required to make holes in my front bumper to attach it. Between 5 cars and 13 years in CA, I've had 1 cop tell me to put it on. I like those odds.

There are several less destructive ways to comply with those rules... Some guys have the magnets that have stayed on the car for up to 80MPH on their drives.

I caved. 11 months after delivery of my 2nd Model S, I put the stickers on. I didn't want to feel nervous anymore driving in the HOV with the stickers in the glove box. Now - I drive guilt free. And they really are a badge of honor. I don't know why I waited....