Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Logistics to further away places takes precedent. Since cars are run in batch runs by color and trim it depends a great deal what order and how many in the run are made. How those get parceled out I don’t know if anyone here knows how the VINs get assigned. Maybe by no-trade-in as a quick in-out of DC, and then other criteria but who knows.

I am hoping that this quarter numbers, and the opening of the Chinese Gigafactory will change they way they do business so they no longer plan a full quarter solely on the basis of being able to deliver they absolute highest number of cars in a specific quarter.

That is, make cars in batches, but fulfill placed orders as efficiently as you can by date placed(within reason) Holding ALL California orders until they have filled European, Asian, Eastern US, Midwest and the rest of the Western states sucks. Some people getting there cars tonight ordered in OCTOBER, solely because Tesla is still driven by the belief that hitting a specific number of cars delivered is more important than customer satisfaction.

Last edited:
This is all new for Tesla.

Last New Year’s Eve Tesla stayed open until midnight just in case anyone decided at the last minute to buy a Tesla before the $7,500 tax credit was cut in half. And there weren’t that many takers so they had a lot of unsold inventory sitting around the country on January 1. So it made no sense to build more cars for US customers in January.

The press was criticizing Tesla for having so much unsold inventory and Elon was trying to justify why it’s normal to have so many cars on hand. March came around and sales was cutting all sorts of deals to move cars by end of Q1.

This New Year’s Eve obviously looks a lot different. Ironically the cars cost more now than they did in March, and the tax credit is only half as much as it was during Q1/Q2.

Times have changed.

Tesla is still driven by the belief that hitting a specific number of cars delivered is more important than customer satisfaction.

Tesla is publicly traded. Production and delivery. Revenue, earnings per share.

All that matters. Without high demand for their shares, Tesla is cut off from the capital markets.

No capital no expansion. A successful TSLA raises all ships, shareholders and owners together.

Just got home with my new car <3 the process took about 2 hours from beginning to end. Some panels will need to be completely repainted cuz my $2000 paint job had some debris under the paint so there are some small bumps on some panels. My DA was super awesome and took pics of it all, documented it and I just need to arrange for the service. Probably will get HomeLink installed during the same appt if I can.

Other than the paint issues... it's beautiful... hope the repaint will be fine and not make things look worse...

that looks like an insane crowd up in Fremont. Way fewer people in Carlsbad... whew... well I'm just glad this fiasco is mostly done for me. Next week, they will address my duplicate SR+ order once corporate tells them what to do, and get my $100 refunded.

happy NY and good luck to all!

Finally got home after a NYE dinner with the wife. I was there with 2 of the other posters (I'm in two of the pics). Everyone was INCREDIBLY helpful. I talked to a service advisor as well and he went over my car with another service advisor too because I had some molding that was off on my roof. Also, my charge port was misaligned, and the trunk was off by a smidge.

Took me about an hour, but just finished updating to 2019.40.50.5. Also, the EVGos that I get with AAA for no monthly fee SUCK. I got 20% charge for $7 at a Whole Foods in the city.

All in all, very excited to finally get my car! It drives amazingly and the acceleration on the highway is great! I'm still trying to figure out how to activate sentry mode, but the USB port is plugged in with an SD card and I activated it on my phone.

Finally got home after a NYE dinner with the wife. I was there with 2 of the other posters (I'm in two of the pics). Everyone was INCREDIBLY helpful. I talked to a service advisor as well and he went over my car with another service advisor too because I had some molding that was off on my roof. Also, my charge port was misaligned, and the trunk was off by a smidge.

Took me about an hour, but just finished updating to 2019.40.50.5. Also, the EVGos that I get with AAA for no monthly fee SUCK. I got 20% charge for $7 at a Whole Foods in the city.

All in all, very excited to finally get my car! It drives amazingly and the acceleration on the highway is great! I'm still trying to figure out how to activate sentry mode, but the USB port is plugged in with an SD card and I activated it on my phone.

USB drive needs to be formatted Fat32/MSFat. Then you create a Folder names TeslaCam.

Reactions: house9 and Atreyu
Just got home with my new car <3 the process took about 2 hours from beginning to end. Some panels will need to be completely repainted cuz my $2000 paint job had some debris under the paint so there are some small bumps on some panels. My DA was super awesome and took pics of it all, documented it and I just need to arrange for the service. Probably will get HomeLink installed during the same appt if I can.

Other than the paint issues... it's beautiful... hope the repaint will be fine and not make things look worse...

that looks like an insane crowd up in Fremont. Way fewer people in Carlsbad... whew... well I'm just glad this fiasco is mostly done for me. Next week, they will address my duplicate SR+ order once corporate tells them what to do, and get my $100 refunded.

I'm in the same boat with debris in clear coat. How bad is yours compared to mine?

Delivered With a Dozen Paint Defects...Am I Being Unreasonable?

Reactions: laketica
They left a lot of awd and m3p on the table if you look at inventory in Fremont. Don't know why they made those instead of Sr+ to satisfy the people who aren't getting theirs today.

Not sure how easy it is to just spin to SR+ just on a dime. With all that FOMO going on, people sitting in Fremont will likely go for the higher trims anyway.

That and we could be looking at "tomorrows" production. For some people, $1875 is just not what they sweat over or wouldn't qualify for anyways due to AMT.

Those cars will have buyers overseas if no one takes it tonight.

Tesla is publicly traded. Production and delivery. Revenue, earnings per share.

All that matters. Without high demand for their shares, Tesla is cut off from the capital markets.

No capital no expansion. A successful TSLA raises all ships, shareholders and owners together.

That’s it exactly. Like it or not, Tesla reports to their shareholders and financial bankers first. It’s all about numbers. Keep them happy, Tesla is free to continue developing revolutionary products that benefit all of us.

Along the way, hiccups occur. Folks get frustrated and angry. In the end, all of that is forgotten the moment they drive away, as we’ve seen countless times in this forum.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing

Congrats!!! I hope they get your car fixed in a timely manner. Happy new year!

I'm in the same boat with debris in clear coat. How bad is yours compared to mine?

Delivered With a Dozen Paint Defects...Am I Being Unreasonable?

The responses in that thread were annoying to read but... Looking at your pictures, I would say the level of imperfections is about the same, but I may have a few fewer... at least one white spot and a few uneven bumps of debris. I’m concerned that respraying those panels will make it worse... did you actually receive any paperwork for the due bill.... or actually, any paperwork at all for your purchase? I realized after going home that I had no paperwork. Guess I’ll just need to trust them to submit DMV paperwork... lol... they said it’d be a month for custom plate transfer...

but honestly... I want these things fixed. I understand cars will wear down and things will happen eventually but some of these things are just not okay. Wish I knew how things went for others who got blemishes repainted by Tesla...

Congrats!!! I hope they get your car fixed in a timely manner. Happy new year!

thank you! HNY! ^^

but honestly for anyone who took delivery: no paperwork? Not even due bill?

I saw him taking pics and logging everything, he assured me they will make it right by repainting certain panels of concern. But I would only want Tesla to do it, I mean I want it to match perfectly... rawr...

Reactions: sacraM3nto
We can expect to see more articles like this today:

Customers Losing Money Because Of Tesla Delays

Good thing is the tax credit is gone so articles like this will never appear again with respect to Tesla.

And I bet a similar article will not appear in June when GM loses their last tax credit. I don't expect to see hordes of prospective Bolt owners complaining about losing their tax credits..

Reactions: house9
We can expect to see more articles like this today:

Customers Losing Money Because Of Tesla Delays

The key takeaway — "Until then, we can expect to keep seeing the end of quarter rushes to meet its sales and delivery projections in order to retain confidence from the company's investors."

It's all about the stock price. The company needs capital to expand, it needs the confidence of investors to keep getting capital. Everything else is #2.

The money in question is a $1875 credit on a ~$45k out the door SR+, so about 4% of the purchase price for someone who can afford to spend that much on a car.

I would expect the Q1, Q2, and Q3 rushes to be considerably smaller than the Q4. So there is something potential buyers can do to avoid the rush.

Good thing is the tax credit is gone so articles like this will never appear again with respect to Tesla.

And I bet a similar article will not appear in June when GM loses their last tax credit. I don't expect to see hordes of prospective Bolt owners complaining about losing their tax credits..

Frankly, I don’t expect anyone will buy a Bolt after the tax credit goes away. As it is they lose money on every one they sell, even with the government’s assistance. Once that goes away it just won’t make economic sense for GM to keep making them.