Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Utilities Plan All Out War On Solar, Please Read And Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spent a few hours this morning over a meal with David Rosenfeld who is the founder and main energy behind California Solar Rights Alliance. It was Dave who lobbied Biodiversity.org to get involved in the law suit against NEM3.

I have been doing a monthly donation to Solar Rights Alliance for years now as my money is well spent in this fight. This isn't just about solar or money, but also about the bigger picture of distributed micro grids and climate change. These guys are really doing great and tireless work.

What happens in California has dire ramifications for all the rest of the USA. Even if you are not from California, this should matter to you as well. Please consider a donation.

If you are in California, it is your state assembly member who is in the best position to repeal the utility tax. Please call them, write them, or better yet, walk into their office and "motivate" them. There is good suggestions on strategy on the link below.

The Solar Rights Alliance has a plan for the fight against this utility tax and the can use some more funds for it. Your money goes a long ways with this group. Please consider joining them financially with a monthly support. Proposed Utility Tax would increase electricity bills for millions, undermine rooftop solar, and discourage conservation

I just spent a few hours this morning over a meal with David Rosenfeld who is the founder and main energy behind California Solar Rights Alliance. It was Dave who lobbied Biodiversity.org to get involved in the law suit against NEM3.

I have been doing a monthly donation to Solar Rights Alliance for years now as my money is well spent in this fight. This isn't just about solar or money, but also about the bigger picture of distributed micro grids and climate change. These guys are really doing great and tireless work.

What happens in California has dire ramifications for all the rest of the USA. Even if you are not from California, this should matter to you as well. Please consider a donation.

If you are in California, it is your state assembly member who is in the best position to repeal the utility tax. Please call them, write them, or better yet, walk into their office and "motivate" them. There is good suggestions on strategy on the link below.

The Solar Rights Alliance has a plan for the fight against this utility tax and the can use some more funds for it. Your money goes a long ways with this group. Please consider joining them financially with a monthly support. Proposed Utility Tax would increase electricity bills for millions, undermine rooftop solar, and discourage conservation
I appreciating you fighting the good fight, but am skeptical that the legislature will change the law. It wasn't like this clause was some clause stuck in at the last minute. The politicos knew what they were doing, and did it anyway. The Governor's office even provided comments before teh law was passed.

Reactions: Ed Hart and mspohr
I appreciating you fighting the good fight, but am skeptical that the legislature will change the law. It wasn't like this clause was some clause stuck in at the last minute. The politicos knew what they were doing, and did it anyway. The Governor's office even provided comments before teh law was passed.
Governor and politicians are all bought and paid for by PGE.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ed Hart and FatM3
the payors are broad-based, and most only care about their own industry, and have no idea of the PUC rates. Reed Hastings (Netflix), for example, is salivating about Net-Neutrality for obvious reasons. Donors in RE care about that industry.

Reactions: Ed Hart
It's alarming that California government wants to promote solar and the utilities treat residential solar owners like dirt.

Solar owners need incentives, not punishments.

Instead of solarize their electricity, they create fees to increase revenues: connection fee, infrastructure fee... and now income-based fixed charge fee

This !income-based fixed charge fee is the worst idea for conservation. Notice that it's fixed, constant, doesn't change unless your income change.

For those with $180,000 income, whether you use zero or massive kilowatts, you still have to pay the $120 monthly fixed charge minimum!

That also includes those who overproduce their solar or not at all, they still have to pay $120 monthly fixed charge minimum based on their $180,000 income.

Income-based fixed charge fee is another scheme to attack residential solar!
Yes....the reality check is that California believes anyone with a high income is evil and both a polluter and racist.

Both can be true. Progressives are all about wealth redistribution AND corporations want to maximize their profits (and eliminate competition).
Speak for yourself. The notion that some real substantive agenda to redistribute wealth is really at the heart of the b******* put out by public utilities most especially in California is not great reality testing. That's the thin veneer of populist rationalization over the plutocratic preservation of a monopoly, and one with the highest energy costs in the country and the lowest ratings by the populace for reliability and value. This is robber barons pretending (and trying to convince a relatively easily brainwashed public) they are actually Robin Hood. A bit surprised someone as smart as you can't see that.

Last edited:
The utilities don't care where the money comes from. The concept of an income-based utility fee is from the bureaucrats and politicians.

They don't care, but this income thing is here probably because a higher flat fee for everyone isn't probably going to pass or keep them elected/in office. This is why they have to use class warfare/income based solutions to misdirect to someone else as taking advantage.

A more fair system is everyone just pays the same lowest possible grid fee really. Better yet, kill off the IOUs and make them all more localized, self governing, self managed utilities that's non-profit. Yeah, government managed is crap, but I keep saying the structure of IOUs with profit vs. environment, cost, stability, etc doesn't work and that is why we're in this state.

I'm not using a VPP based solution, but if it was a local based grid, I'd be willing to help my local community.

Reactions: dfwatt
Speak for yourself. The notion that some real substantive agenda to redistribute wealth is really at the heart of the b******* put out by public utilities most especially in California is not great reality testing. That's the thin veneer of populist rationalization over the plutocratic preservation of a monopoly, and one with the highest energy costs in the country and the lowest ratings by the populace for reliability and value. This is robber barons pretending (and trying to convince a relatively easily brainwashed public) they are actually Robin Hood. A bit surprised someone as smart as you can't see that.

Again, they are only implementing state LAW. The Legislature directed the Utils to start charging by income. It is the State Legislature that is driving this. Does it help the utilities? Sure, but the Legislature could have put on their big-person pants and just said, No. Instead, they bent over and said, Yes. Teh State Utility Commission Board is comprised of appointees of the Governor. If he did not like what they were doing, he could remove them. But he doesn't.

Reactions: gene and Ed Hart

It argues it's an optional "may", not a mandate "shall":

"(e) (1) For the purposes of this section and Section 739.1, the commission may authorize fixed charges for any rate schedule applicable to a residential customer account. The fixed charge shall be established on an income-graduated basis with no fewer than three income thresholds so that a low-income ratepayer in each baseline territory would realize a lower average monthly bill without making any changes in usage. The commission shall, no later than July 1, 2024, authorize a fixed charge for default residential rates."

Looks like CPUC is working hard to minimize the ROI of batteries.

What a mess reading this. This sounds like signing up for VPP without them giving you anything now for any exports since assuming power is 1/3 gen, 2/3 delivery, your own gen and exports can now only cancel out the 1/3 gen part.

Since homeowners don't technically delivery anything, that will never cancel/credit out.

I wouldn't be against tossing out Newsom and the whole CPUC already. They all seem to be on the payroll of the IOUs.