Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: White Clean Air sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The people with the shortest stick - those that got stickers in December 2016. Those expire 1/1/2019 and no further HOV decals will be allowed.
Yeah...that's a big difference. Cars with stickers issued on 12/31/2016 will get access for 2 years, vs 5 years for those issued 1/1/2017.

In my case, procrastination has paid off. I have a 2016 that I just requested my stickers for. :)

As I've written about this on the Tesla sponsored board, this bill is a joke. It adds significant complexities, such as how are they going to do the "rolling expiration" stickers starting in 2019, additional recordkeeping and background checking (did the car have a sticker issued previously?). Dumb dumb dumb.

The yellow stickers that were issued in 2005 were set to expire in 2007, extended to 2009, extended to 2011. Why not do the obvious and simply make the stickers valid to some future date, and based on HOV crowding, extend that or not.

Remember, all the green sticker hybrids are out of the HOV lane as of 1/1/2019. Unless the auto manufacturers bribe (I mean lobby) a state legislator. This will remove a substantial amount of HOV crowding. And with better enforcement, removing the large number of HOV lane cheaters could further open up those lanes.

I encourage any California owner with white stickers issued before 1/1/17 to contact your state assemblyperson and state senator, explain how the (still a bill, but very likely to be signed by Gov Brown) law discriminates against the very people who took a chance on non-ICE vehicles in their early days.

As I've written about this on the Tesla sponsored board, this bill is a joke. It adds significant complexities, such as how are they going to do the "rolling expiration" stickers starting in 2019, additional recordkeeping and background checking (did the car have a sticker issued previously?). Dumb dumb dumb.

The yellow stickers that were issued in 2005 were set to expire in 2007, extended to 2009, extended to 2011. Why not do the obvious and simply make the stickers valid to some future date, and based on HOV crowding, extend that or not.

Remember, all the green sticker hybrids are out of the HOV lane as of 1/1/2019. Unless the auto manufacturers bribe (I mean lobby) a state legislator. This will remove a substantial amount of HOV crowding. And with better enforcement, removing the large number of HOV lane cheaters could further open up those lanes.

I encourage any California owner with white stickers issued before 1/1/17 to contact your state assemblyperson and state senator, explain how the (still a bill, but very likely to be signed by Gov Brown) law discriminates against the very people who took a chance on non-ICE vehicles in their early days.
My reading of the bill seems to apply the expirations and extensions to White and Green with equal treatment.
Today's Law As Amended

"Paragraph (1)" vehicles currently get White decals and "Paragraph (3)" vehicles get Green decals. Only the old CNG vehicles in "Paragraph (2)" seem to have gotten the heave-ho.

Reactions: rxlawdude
My reading of the bill seems to apply the expirations and extensions to White and Green with equal treatment.
Today's Law As Amended

"Paragraph (1)" vehicles currently get White decals and "Paragraph (3)" vehicles get Green decals. Only the old CNG vehicles in "Paragraph (2)" seem to have gotten the heave-ho.
You indeed are correct. There goes the neighborhood (HOV lane). :)

Another element that makes no sense. But now it's clear how this came to be: all the manufacturers want to be on the PHEV/EV gravy train, and the incentive of at least four years of HOV access for any new vehicle puts new sales on a preferential track.

But now doomsday will occur; the lanes simply can't accommodate existing vehicles plus every PHEV/BEV sold starting this year. At least on weekends, the HOV lanes on I-5 and I-405 run much slower than the mainline lanes. Watch for that to creep into the work week.

Maybe being banished from what will become a competitive resource isn't as bad as we think. o_O

Last edited:
This can all be changed at the whim of lawmakers. They have until the DMV starts handing out the new stickers for the period after 1/1/19 to change their minds and disallow the extension of the Green stickers. Honestly, in the interest of emissions reduction and HOV traffic flow, the Green decals should not be extended beyond 1/1/2019. The sooner they let people know that, the better. I am surprised by the number of people who buy or lease decal-eligible vehicles just for that privilege. However, I don't have a commute that benefits from solo HOV access, so what do I know...

Reactions: rxlawdude