Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: White Clean Air sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's supposed to end in 2019. January 1, 2019. Considering most of us won't even start getting the 3 until the end of the year, and most not until 2018, that leaves just over a year of the sticker at best. Maybe it's premature to ask, but considering the sometimes glacial pace of our legislature...

My worry is the large amount of Model 3s will make them decide not to extend it again. Not a deal breaker for me, but it sure would be a nice perk. Particularly since the Bay Area HOV lanes are 3 people instead of 2 like the rest of the state.

I think they changed the rule recently, both green and white stickers will expired by January 1, 2019. All new cars that meet requirements will have a three-year HOV lane sticker. I am not sure how they are going to implement this rule or what color sticker it will be.

Problem with allowing even more vehicles into the HOV lanes is this:
Our HOV lanes are so slow they break federal laws – Orange County Register - from 2014
California may get tougher on carpool cheaters from June 2017 also touches on this
Two years ago, 58 percent of the Bay Area’s carpool lanes failed to achieve the minimum federal performance standard of 45 mph speeds at least 90 percent of the time. In Los Angeles, performance was even worse at 68 percent.

If that trend continues, something will need to be done to free up the carpool lanes, state officials said. It could mean ending the sticker program, allowing only vehicles carrying three or more people to qualify as a carpool, or writing more tickets to reduce the number of vehicles clogging the diamond lanes.

Caltrans must report back to federal officials by Dec. 1 on what options it might consider, otherwise the state could lose federal highway funds.
One can only speculate what they might do. I can think of numerous possibilities.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
They SHOULD stop issuing green ones and let them expire in 2019; extend white ones to keep BEV incentives; possibly even increase to 3 people in areas with saturation.

Why on earth they decided to start re-issuing green ones a year ago, I have no clue. There are far too many PHEVs out there, the volt sells well here in CA, the prius prime is a plugin, of course they're going to saturate the lanes. The green stickers should go the way of the yellow stickers did once the original Prius got popular.

Reactions: David99
I think they changed the rule recently, both green and white stickers will expired by January 1, 2019. All new cars that meet requirements will have a three-year HOV lane sticker. I am not sure how they are going to implement this rule or what color sticker it will be.
I did some digging. I think this here is the bill you're referring to.

If I understand the status correctly, I don't think it's law yet and is still going through reviews. Here's my non-expert summary of the draft legislation:
  • All existing stickers expire January 1, 2019
  • Cars that received stickers between January 1, 2017 and January 1, 2019 will get a new sticker extending through January 1, 2022
  • New stickers issued after January 1 2019 will last roughly 3-4 years (depending on the time of year you purchase)
  • The vehicle has to meet SULEV and ILEV, or enhanced AT PZEV, or TZEV standards (I believe this is equivalent to the requirements for White or Green stickers)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I did some digging. I think this here is the bill you're referring to.

If I understand the status correctly, I don't think it's law yet and is still going through reviews. Here's my non-expert summary of the draft legislation:
  • All existing stickers expire January 1, 2019
  • Cars that received stickers between January 1, 2017 and January 1, 2019 will get a new sticker extending through January 1, 2022
  • New stickers issued after January 1 2019 will last roughly 3-4 years (depending on the time of year you purchase)
  • The vehicle has to meet SULEV and ILEV, or enhanced AT PZEV, or TZEV standards (I believe this is equivalent to the requirements for White or Green stickers)

I could live with that. Til 2022 isn't bad. Considering how crowded the HOV lanes are, I can't imagine it'll last forever. However, they should still incentivize electric at this relatively early stage. Get rid of the regular hybrids. I'll have to look into whether the law has passed yet. I just did some quick Googling and it sounded like Jerry Brown signed it a while ago but I could be totally wrong. Maybe he just talked about it to a reporter as something he supports.

Thanks!

So those with white stickers, all is not lost:
(B) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.

I'm trying to decipher the rather complex bill, but it's silent regarding those who were issued stickers PRIOR to Jan 1, 2017. The strict reading suggests those stickers will expire on 1/1/19 and there will be no new stickers issued for those vehicles previously stickered. The more liberal reading suggests that one can re-apply for the stickers that are valid another four years since it is not explicitly prohibited to get the new stickers for a vehicle with the old. I'm thinking the intent is the strict interpretation.

One thing is for sure: the existing green and white stickers will expire on 1/1/19, based on the current law. Follow AB 544 on the California legislature website.

• Informative
Considering how crowded the HOV lanes are, I can't imagine it'll last forever.
There is also language in there about removing the access during times of peak congestion.

In addition I'm trying to decipher the language about not being able to get a carpool sticker if you've received a rebate from the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program, unless income is under $150k single/$300k joint. Does this apply to those who received rebates before there was an income restriction? What if we received one but are applying for a sticker for a new car that we didn't receive the rebate on?

There is also language in there about removing the access during times of peak congestion.

In addition I'm trying to decipher the language about not being able to get a carpool sticker if you've received a rebate from the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program, unless income is under $150k single/$300k joint. Does this apply to those who received rebates before there was an income restriction? What if we received one but are applying for a sticker for a new car that we didn't receive the rebate on?
Reading the plain language, if you received the $2500 rebate when there was no income restriction, the implication is your income at that time would be salient. But since there was no income check back then, the only thing I can figure is you'd show your tax return to DMV showing income below the threshold. But you're right, it seems they've left a major edge case out of the bill.

• Informative
Reading the plain language, if you received the $2500 rebate when there was no income restriction, the implication is your income at that time would be salient. But since there was no income check back then, the only thing I can figure is you'd show your tax return to DMV showing income below the threshold. But you're right, it seems they've left a major edge case out of the bill.
My problem is...I'm over the limit now. So does the fact that I received a rebate in 2013 for a Volt I bought when I was under the limit now preclude me from receiving carpool stickers for a car I buy next year?

I honestly don't understand the point the the language. You already can't get a CVRP rebate if you're over those income limits. It's almost like it's purposely punishing folks to received a rebate before the limits existed.

I submitted a comment pointing this out to Assembly Member Bloom who authored the bill. I'll reply if I learn anything....couldn't hurt if others speak out too ;)

Sorry, I just re-read your post and the bill again and I see your point about income at the time of the rebate. Now though, add the fact that I received a CVRP rebate in 2016 while my income was over the current limits, but before the limits were enacted in November 2016. If I buy a car next year but do not apply for a rebate (because I'm now ineligible) I think I'll be excluded from the carpool sticker, despite not being informed this is a sacrifice I was making.

I'm trying to decipher the rather complex bill, but it's silent regarding those who were issued stickers PRIOR to Jan 1, 2017. The strict reading suggests those stickers will expire on 1/1/19 and there will be no new stickers issued for those vehicles previously stickered. The more liberal reading suggests that one can re-apply for the stickers that are valid another four years since it is not explicitly prohibited to get the new stickers for a vehicle with the old. I'm thinking the intent is the strict interpretation

By that reading couldn't you just keep getting new stickers once they expire after 4 years?

This whole thread probably belongs in the California forum.