Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera (Sentry mode)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3LR. . . . I have had the camera on sentry mode for months. Yesterday the car was in the car park of the golf club when at 1pm my phone ‘pinged’ and there was a message on the front screen of my phone saying something along the lines of ‘sentry cam activated ./ recording’. I have never had that message before and presumed someone had bumped into the car. I got to the car and there was no damage and the cam had recorded a couple of minutes of stuff at 1pm and there was nothing on there, no movement of anybody or anything.

Q1. What happened what activated the cam?
Q2. What cam events cause it to send a message to my phone?
Q3. Why can I not see the cam on my phone or recorded events on my phone?
Q4. Why can I not download the recorded events to my phone?

Q1. Anything that gets near the cameras with sentry mode can trigger it, just people walking past. Check the footage recorded to see the time stamp for it.
Q2. Same as above.
Q3. You can see the cameras with Live Sentry but you need the subscription, footage is only available in the car or on the USB with a computer.
Q4. Because they haven't implemented that, maybe they will one day.

Thde message that flashed up on the screen of my phone was titled 'Notification Centre' which I have had before when, for example' I have left the windows open. Those messages flash up for a few seconds and then go.
Q1. How do I get into the 'notification' sentre to read them?
Q2. I have had those notifications before but never a ping message on my phone

Thde message that flashed up on the screen of my phone was titled 'Notification Centre' which I have had before when, for example' I have left the windows open. Those messages flash up for a few seconds and then go.
Q1. How do I get into the 'notification' sentre to read them?
Q2. I have had those notifications before but never a ping message on my phone
Do you have premium connectivity? it is possible to view the footage now remotely if you do.
I have never had a notification telling me about a sentry event b but that may be down to not having premium connectivity
has your software on the car or phone been updated recently i.e. could that be what has changed?
I assume you have an iPhone since only iPhone owners a think they don't need to tell anyone what sort of phone they have :)

If you have an iphone and want to see notifications, you have to turn them on.
Go to Settings - Notifications - then scroll down to Tesla app. Tap the app to open it and a screen appears with notifications/sounds/banners etc. Allow notifications is at the top of the screen, then select any other option that you want.

If you have an iphone and want to see notifications, you have to turn them on.
Go to Settings - Notifications - then scroll down to Tesla app. Tap the app to open it and a screen appears with notifications/sounds/banners etc. Allow notifications is at the top of the screen, then select any other option that you want.
I do have an iphone and I take it from what you say that the 'notifications' are an iphone thing - I must then presume I have it set to allow notifications but will check - thanks.

Also, no I do not have premium, I think I had it for free for a couple of months when I picked up the car - I would like to view the cam but don't want to pay for it (unless it is small money)

Delivery of my MYSR is in a couple of weeks' time and I'm quite worried about the car next to my parking slot at home always parking very close to my car (had one wheel touching the line several times). I wouldn't mind too much their door touching mine when opened now that I'm driving this old bmw but it's different story with the new MY.

I understood that, with Sentry mode on, a touch or even any motion detected close to the car will trigger a notifcation on my phone and start recording. But have a few questions please if someone know the answer:

Q1 - It's an underground car park with very limited mobile signal and sometimes zero connectivity. Would sentry mode still work? It's not a huge problem if I don't get the instant notification on my phone, as long as I get notified when I'm next back to the car and can review the videos I'll be happy.
Q2 - Do I need premium connectivity for the above to work?
Q3 - Would it eat up too much battery (or even damage the battery) if I keep sentry mode always-on when I'm parking at home? I drive the car mostly during the weekend, and maybe a very short trip 2-3 days during weekdays. Wondering what's the best approach to charging, as I saw something about best keeping the battery charged to 50-60% only for battery longetivity reason if/when you don't need the range.

Any advice much appreciated please!

Sentry is a bit of a resource hog, so having it on at home means you're going to be paying to run it - doorbell/outdoor cams are much more efficient.

I've got a similar use pattern and I just charge when the battery is low, every couple of weeks. No need to start trying to micromanage it.. the difference is tiny unless you're constantly charging to 100% and leaving it there.

I understood that, with Sentry mode on, a touch or even any motion detected close to the car will trigger a notifcation on my phone and start recording. But have a few questions please if someone know the answer:

No it doesn't send notifications for every trigger. Only if the alarm is triggered will it send a notification. This is just as well because in some situations Sentry is triggered multiple times per hour. 99% are people innocently walking past, or branches on a tree waving in the wind or heavy rain or whatever. Also be aware that the cameras are recording all the time. When triggered the car retains a marked recording of the period before and after the trigger event.