Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Stutter Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s completely my fault but the rear camera stutter that appeared with V11 caused me to crash into a car behind me 🤦‍♂️ Thought the sensor noise was for the cars parked in front 😩

Oh well - live and learn, right?!

To me tesla have some liability in this for the stuttering camera issue, they broke something and its been 6 weeks and reported many times to them, its a software issue and since they have updated it at least 2 times and not fixed it they obviously can't be bothered. The UK service centre staff can't do anything about software issues only report it to the correct people who seem not to care, they also broke the voice control for me which used to work perfectly.

Whether of course Tesla would admit any liability and getting them to pay out is another story completely.

Reactions: sp34
Absolute sympathy with you on this one. I did exactly the same doing a reverse parallel park in early January. Fortunately it was the father-in-laws car and there was no damage done. I was adamant there was at least a foot to go according to the camera image.

Makes you wonder if there was a lag on the speed readout - would they resolve that a bit quicker?

Whilst cameras and sensors are great, they’re not infallible. I’ve even resorted to stopping, getting out and having a look, to try and avoid a whoopsie.
Years ago I had an MGF, one winter morning the rear screen was frozen and as I reversed I hit a lamppost (which was always there). Smashed a hole in the rear bumper but narrowly avoided needing a new boot lid, exhaust etc….
Since then I’m super careful when I’m reversing.

Absolute sympathy with you on this one. I did exactly the same doing a reverse parallel park in early January. Fortunately it was the father-in-laws car and there was no damage done. I was adamant there was at least a foot to go according to the camera image.

Makes you wonder if there was a lag on the speed readout - would they resolve that a bit quicker?

It's not actually to do with lag. You have to always remind yourself that the rear camera view is using a wide angle lens where the visual representation is absolutely not what you would see if you were standing in the same position i.e. everything is MUCH closer than it looks!! (I clonked the garage door within days of getting the car so have applied considerable attention to this issue!)

Reactions: SpanishJ0n
It's not actually to do with lag. You have to always remind yourself that the rear camera view is using a wide angle lens where the visual representation is absolutely not what you would see if you were standing in the same position i.e. everything is MUCH closer than it looks!! (I clonked the garage door within days of getting the car so have applied considerable attention to this issue!)
There is that but the camera used to work no problem before V11 and now its very bad for some it seems

There is that but the camera used to work no problem before V11 and now its very bad for some it seems
Yes, I should have been clearer that my response was only with regard to the comment from @Jon1evans "I was adamant there was at least a foot to go according to the camera image." rather than as a comment to people experiencing camera stutter.

Reactions: Rooster6655
People relying on cameras and sensors is eroding basic spatial awareness imo.

I have been as guilty as anyone as just looking at the camera feeds, but then realise that I should be using my mirrors etc. This is particularly true if you drive multiple cars that may not have the same tech (or at all).

That being said I'm not sure why you'd associate parking sensor noises as coming from the front, if you're moving away from whatever is in front of you as you're reversing :)

There should be a disclaimer (from tesla) that you should never 100% rely on camera only
And they should stick it in a book that people can access online or in the car :)

Warning
Never depend on the cameras to inform you if the area behind you is free of objects and/or people. The cameras may not detect objects or barriers that can potentially cause damage or injury. In addition, several external factors can reduce the performance of the cameras, including a dirty or obstructed lens. Therefore, depending on the cameras to determine if Model 3 is approaching an obstruction can result in damage to the vehicle and/or objects and can potentially cause serious injury. Always inspect the area with your own eyes. When reversing, perform shoulder checks and use all mirrors. Use the cameras for guidance purposes only. It is not intended to replace your own direct visual checks and is not a substitute for careful driving.

Reactions: Huskyf and yessuz
And they should stick it in a book that people can access online or in the car :)
yep

1643639200339.png

People relying on cameras and sensors is eroding basic spatial awareness imo.

I have been as guilty as anyone as just looking at the camera feeds, but then realise that I should be using my mirrors etc. This is particularly true if you drive multiple cars that may not have the same tech (or at all).

That being said I'm not sure why you'd associate parking sensor noises as coming from the front, if you're moving away from whatever is in front of you as you're reversing :)
Because this all happened very fast. Written down, it’s easy to ask the questions you have in your third paragraph.