Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campsite experiences: is 14-50 or TT-30 more common?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people's experiences charging at campsites or RV campgrounds? I've seen TT-30, but I just realized that's 120V, so you'll have a much slower charging speed. 14-50 would be awesome, but I haven't been paying attention at RV campgrounds to know how prevalent it is. Thoughts?

So the 14-50 adapter is like $35 from Tesla, it used to be standard and you really should make sure you have one.

So the real question is for the probably $60-75 for the third party TT-30 that will cost, are you willing to risk not having it when you could need it? It will probably get you about 10miles per hour maybe more which is certainly worthwhile.

Here is a $20 adapter TT-30 -> 14-50.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Adapter-Electrical-Converter-Indicator/dp/B085HC48H5

Set the charging amps in the car to 24A and it will work fine. Better than $40/$60/$80.

Have you actually tried that particular adapter?

It looks like an RV adapter, which generally works by connecting both L1 and L2 to the single line in of the TT-30, and the TT-30 neutral to the 14-50 neutral.

That’s great for two 120V banks both running to neutral in an RV. For an EV that’s connecting across L1 to L2 to get 240 V for charging, not so much. With both sides connected to the single line in, there’s no charging power.

The EVSEadapters custom pigtail has advantages over a correct EV charging adapter because it has the thermal monitoring at the plug of the UMC intact and functional, and also passes the correct charge current limit to the car.

In the RV world, they call the TT-30 "30 amp service" and 14-50 "50 amp service."
This right here is the key. Small travel trailers are OK with 30A service, but if you come in a 40' diesel pusher with multiple A/C units and lots of appliances, you're going to need 50A, which means a 14-50 plug. Most campgrounds will charge more for a bigger spot with 50A service (which is also more likely to have full water/sewer/cable hookups). Some places won't rent you a big site unless you're driving something that requires it, though I don't know if they would ever enforce that.

Reactions: VQTRVA
You keep spamming that into tons of different threads. It's not relevant here. That is for adapting to 14-30 outlets for electric clothes dryers. That has nothing to do with the outlets at campgrounds.
“Tons” sounds like a lot... like you exaggerate. It does plug into a campground 30A, 50A, and your house if you install a 60A. Not a difficult concept.

I’ve plugged it in and got electricity. It must have a one off.
Please explain what you are talking about. The 30A outlets at campgrounds are TT-30, which are 120V 30A, and they look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-7313-S00-Receptacle-Industrial-Strap-Black/dp/B01NBZPBON

Your cord does not fit that.

As @Saghost points out, you may have been talking about plugging into the larger 240V 50A outlet that most campgrounds have. But that is a 14-50, which is what your Tesla plug already is. You're just adding an unnecessary 1 foot extension cord for the same plug type.

There are some other really strange places that make 14-30 electric clothes dryer outlets available for various reasons. When people were trying to travel I-84 through Oregon and Idaho several years ago before Superchargers, someone found that the Baker City Truck Corral had pay-per-use pedestals with 14-30 outlets in them for some reason. I hadn't thought that semi trailers used those, but that got added to Plugshare for Tesla drivers to use. But those are almost never found at any campgrounds, and it's confusing people to say that is the 30A outlet at campgrounds.