Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campsite experiences: is 14-50 or TT-30 more common?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the kW charge rate on TT-30 with the mobile adapter?
It's 120V, and you can get 24A from it, since it's a 30A outlet type, so about 2.8 kW. You're basically getting about double the power as from a regular 5-15 outlet, but since there is some charging overhead of about 300-400 W consumed, it does have a bit over double the speed of rated miles per hour being added to the car.

What are people's experiences charging at campsites or RV campgrounds? I've seen TT-30, but I just realized that's 120V, so you'll have a much slower charging speed. 14-50 would be awesome, but I haven't been paying attention at RV campgrounds to know how prevalent it is. Thoughts?
My experience is I see a lot more 30 amp service, which is good as that is what my camper takes. To be fair most national and state parks have nothing or the TT-30. But if we stay at a KOA or the like they most always have NEMA 14-50. So I think a lot depends on the type of campground you prefer. For us we typically seek out state parks which are not a good option for an EV and is why we got a new RAV4 Prime for the trailer.

For those that dont believe that the cheap amazon adapters dont work, make sure you take the standard 5-15 adapter with you. Then at least you’ll get a little charge when you find out the adapter is useless. I’ve been there and was glad the 5-15 was enough to run the a/c all night.

Reactions: brkaus
.... Most campgrounds will charge more for a bigger spot with 50A service (which is also more likely to have full water/sewer/cable hookups). Some places won't rent you a big site unless you're driving something that requires it, though I don't know if they would ever enforce that.
We have a small 12' popup Aliner that we have towed over 35,000 miles with a Chevy Volt. On rare occasions I stayed with the big rigs, and it has never been an issue if we are willing to pay for the site with 50 amp service. Since they normally bundle 50A, with water and sewer, neither of which we use, we just pay more but then we are taking a premium site even if we are only using 1/3 of it.

For those that dont believe that the cheap amazon adapters dont work, make sure you take the standard 5-15 adapter with you. Then at least you’ll get a little charge when you find out the adapter is useless. I’ve been there and was glad the 5-15 was enough to run the a/c all night.

I think you're right. That's why I asked my question... I don't see a TT-30 adapter on Tesla site, meaning the charger will not be charging at 120v 24A.

Please explain what you are talking about. The 30A outlets at campgrounds are TT-30, which are 120V 30A, and they look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-7313-S00-Receptacle-Industrial-Strap-Black/dp/B01NBZPBON

Your cord does not fit that.

As @Saghost points out, you may have been talking about plugging into the larger 240V 50A outlet that most campgrounds have. But that is a 14-50, which is what your Tesla plug already is. You're just adding an unnecessary 1 foot extension cord for the same plug type.

There are some other really strange places that make 14-30 electric clothes dryer outlets available for various reasons. When people were trying to travel I-84 through Oregon and Idaho several years ago before Superchargers, someone found that the Baker City Truck Corral had pay-per-use pedestals with 14-30 outlets in them for some reason. I hadn't thought that semi trailers used those, but that got added to Plugshare for Tesla drivers to use. But those are almost never found at any campgrounds, and it's confusing people to say that is the 30A outlet at campgrounds.
Sorry - you guys were saying TT-30 and my mind was hearing 14-30. I have always plugged into a 14-50 (or 14-60 at home). Yes, the only 30A I can plug into is a 14-30.

I think you're right. That's why I asked my question... I don't see a TT-30 adapter on Tesla site, meaning the charger will not be charging at 120v 24A.

Tesla doesn’t currently offer a native TT-30 pigtail. EVSEadapters does.

Their adapters are a little more expensive because they have to buy a Tesla pigtail at retail, remove the plug and replace it. The end result is better, though, with the pigtail having the thermal sensor connected and the resistor passing the current limit to the UMC like a factory pigtail.

Or you can get an adapter to convert TT-30 to something you do have a pigtail for, usually 14-50.

Just heed my warning. Those cheap adapters may fit, but they dont work
You're not giving the whole story and talking about something else. There are cheap ones for camping RVs or cheap ones for EVs. If you get the EV type, those are wired differently to work properly for what the EV charging cables need. So you do need to make sure the product says it's for EV charging.

Reactions: juliusa
What are people's experiences charging at campsites or RV campgrounds? I've seen TT-30, but I just realized that's 120V, so you'll have a much slower charging speed. 14-50 would be awesome, but I haven't been paying attention at RV campgrounds to know how prevalent it is. Thoughts?

I recently traveled across the northern UP in Michigan, which is devoid of Superchargers, so I used NEMA 14-50 sockets at 3 different campgrounds to charge overnight. Most campgrounds seem to have those sockets for the larger camping rigs.

I paid between $15 and $30 per night and used PlugShare to find the sites.

I used this TT-30 at a camp ground. The tent/small camper electric sites were 30amp TT-30 and the large RV/5th wheel sites were 50amp nema 14-50.

This adapter automatically switches the car to 24amp charging which was around 7-9mph.

it’s expensive but shipped quickly and customer service is responsive.

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

The thermal protection kicked in several times shown on the TeslaFi screenshot below. Customer service said it was most likely the campsite plug. I was plugged in from 730pm until the next morning with camp mode on.
I wouldn’t want to risk charging with an amazon special without thermal protection.
0EE616EA-8F3F-475E-AD1E-F7460CD0D81C.png

Last edited:
BTW, for new campers in the U.S. you don't need to talk to campsite staff about plug type. 30 amp is always TT-30. 50 amp is always 14-50. These plugs are completely standardized in my experience. If you call and say "I need at TT-30 or an 14-50" 80% of the time you will be met with confused silence.

Tesla adapters are too focused on plugging in at friends house and not enough on the large number of higher power plugs at campgrounds IMO. In the real world their mobile adapter doesn't have enough cord length to reach a high power outlet at many houses. A better setup for connecting to houses are third party adapters that go on the end of a long extension cord.

A heavy duty long reach setup standardizes around a 14-50 extension cord with adapters put on the end of the cord at the wall plug. This setup requires correct setting of amps in the car and ideally more diligent checks on the temperature of the cord/mobile connector. It also requires understanding the 80% rule.

Last edited: