Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t charge, appointment time 2 weeks away! What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an update, got my car back today. They replaced the charge port unit/ECU.

Any thoughts on what may have caused this? Could it be our charging habits? We use the mobile connector exclusively on a 120V outlet. Most times the vehicle stayes plugged in. We vary the charge limit between 70-80%. Been to superchargers maybe 3-4 times and only once of those was a 30 minute charge. Others under 20 minutes.

Should we change the way we charge to potentially avoid such an issue in the future?

Attachments

• 7BE5E330-CB22-48BF-B3BB-4E30D3D4BD62.jpeg
    7BE5E330-CB22-48BF-B3BB-4E30D3D4BD62.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 78
Any thoughts on what may have caused this?

Electronic components (resisters, transistors, capacitors, etc) are not impervious to faulty manufacturing and/or failure. You could simply have some tiny component on a board in the ECU that failed on it's 1200th use. It just happens.

Could it be our charging habits?

Highly unlikely.

Any thoughts on what may have caused this? Could it be our charging habits? We use the mobile connector exclusively on a 120V outlet. Most times the vehicle stayes plugged in. We vary the charge limit between 70-80%. Been to superchargers maybe 3-4 times and only once of those was a 30 minute charge. Others under 20 minutes.

Should we change the way we charge to potentially avoid such an issue in the future?
No, your charging habits are totally fine. As others said, probably just a random failure. Could have been something else like water intrusion into the enclosure (from a defective enclosure) but that seems unlikely give where it is mounted.

That’s exactly how I charged my M3P, never had any issues. Like others said sometimes things just break unfortunately.

Reactions: AtlTesly

I leave my Model Y unplugged if there a chance of thunderstorms. The chance of anything happening is small but the potential damage to the vehicle is quite high.

Reactions: AtlTesly
I leave my Model Y unplugged if there a chance of thunderstorms. The chance of anything happening is small but the potential damage to the vehicle is quite high.
Yea that’s actually a good point. I was kind of under the impression that the mobile charger has some sort of surge protection in it, but maybe not. I never had an issue and we had plenty of bad storms and some brown outs here, but maybe I’ve been lucky.

Yea that’s actually a good point. I was kind of under the impression that the mobile charger has some sort of surge protection in it, but maybe not. I never had an issue and we had plenty of bad storms and some brown outs here, but maybe I’ve been lucky.
The Mobile Connector has GFCI protection but AFAIK there is no built in surge protection. You can install a surge protector for the home. These cost in the range of $70 to $700 including installation. There is no way to fully protect electronic equipment or an electric vehicle from a surge except to unplug from the grid.

Imagine a boxing match. In one corner we have a surge protector with some electrical components. In the other corner 2 to 5 million volts of electricity capable of jumping from tree or utility pole to earth and into your home. Which one will win?

The most common way for a lightning to enter a home is through the electrical wiring. The second most common way is through copper water pipes.

(Even unplugged vehicles have been damaged by close by ground lightning strikes.)

Reactions: In4lo
Would this really be a concern, would a Y really drop anywhere near 53% in two weeks? That's crazy if true.
Not if you turn off Sentry mode. If you leave Sentry mode active then the Tesla Model Y never enters Sleep mode, remains in Standby mode. Standby mode will consume 7% of the battery charge over 24 hours. In sleep mode the power usage is 1/10th as much. With Sentry mode turned off the battery will lose only 1% over a 7 day period.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H