Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t claim ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I recently purchased a model 3 performance and I’m trying to claim ownership of the car and when I do it won’t let me and I receive these messages, what can I do?
62BBA012-7A8C-4416-A5CA-7F0D39F85744.jpeg

Did you buy it new or did you buy it used, and did you buy it from at a Tesla dealership or from a third party?
If you bought it new or used from a Tesla dealership, it's their problem to fix for you
If you bought it used from a third party then I'm not really sure what the answer would be.
Either way, good luck.

Did you buy it new or did you buy it used, and did you buy it from at a Tesla dealership or from a third party?
If you bought it new or used from a Tesla dealership, it's their problem to fix for you
If you bought it used from a third party then I'm not really sure what the answer would be.
Either way, good luck.
I bought it used from a dealership that isn’t Tesla, if I contact tesla can’t they just remove the car from the persons account if I prove I’m the new owner?

Is that not something Tesla can do as I have no way of contacting the previous owner.

Hard to say. Tesla really isn't in the business of fixing other's mistakes (not yours, the previous owner and dealership for not having the car properly prepped to sell).

How close are you to a service center? You could go there in person, explain the situation, and see if they'll check the account status of that VIN for you. Maybe they can contact the previous owner for you? You're not going to get very far trying to call, email, or message Tesla unfortunately.

If that doesn't work, I'd go straight back to the dealer and have them contact the previous owner to have them remove it from the account. (or do this first?)