Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t connect to car via App - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely a wide spread issue. There's also another thread going back over a year about this.

Just happens in my home garage. I do not have sentry mode on at home. If sentry mode is on, the car never "sleeps" and I can connect. I've also tried leaving the car unlocked but that didn't work either.

I previously had a model s for 8 years in the same garage bay at home that never did this. Just as a comparison. Service cannot replicate at the center and isn't trying too hard to solve the issue.

This is definitely a wide spread issue. There's also another thread going back over a year about this.

Just happens in my home garage. I do not have sentry mode on at home. If sentry mode is on, the car never "sleeps" and I can connect. I've also tried leaving the car unlocked but that didn't work either.

I previously had a model s for 8 years in the same garage bay at home that never did this. Just as a comparison. Service cannot replicate at the center and isn't trying too hard to solve the issue.
The latest update to the car seems to have fixed it for me luckily. I’ve never had it at home on WiFi, mine only occurred on LTE. Is your car connected to WiFi at home?

Might be an unrelated issue then. when it happens, does anything else in the car that requires data work, like the web browser?
No, because the car will not connect to LTE.

Just so I'm clear, my issue is that my car is now unreachable via the app while parked in my home garage, regardless of wifi connection. I cannot "wake" the car. Once I open the car by walking up to it, it functions normally.

Just so I'm clear, my issue is that my car is now unreachable via the app while parked in my home garage, regardless of wifi connection. I cannot "wake" the car. Once I open the car by walking up to it, it functions normally.
Yeah definitely a different situation from what I or everyone else I’ve read having. But hopefully the update fixes it for you as well. What version is it running?

This is the issue that some people were having a few weeks ago.

Once the car sleeps, for the app to wake it (if it’s out of Bluetooth range), your app connects to Tesla, this initiates a wake SMS to be sent to the car via LTE. Once awake it will connect to LTE or wifi if it is there and the app can interact with the car.

If opening your app doesn’t cause the car to wake and connect an issue within that chain of events. The issue I had and assume others according to Tesla service, was the wake SMS wasn’t being sent, so it was a Tesla/network side issue rather than the app or the car.

It resolved after Tesla service investigated but they didn't confirm the cause of the wake SMS not being sent.

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
This is the issue that some people were having a few weeks ago.

Once the car sleeps, for the app to wake it (if it’s out of Bluetooth range), your app connects to Tesla, this initiates a wake SMS to be sent to the car via LTE. Once awake it will connect to LTE or wifi if it is there and the app can interact with the car.

If opening your app doesn’t cause the car to wake and connect an issue within that chain of events. The issue I had and assume others according to Tesla service, was the wake SMS wasn’t being sent, so it was a Tesla/network side issue rather than the app or the car.

It resolved after Tesla service investigated but they didn't confirm the cause of the wake SMS not being sent.
Yes, I am 99% sure it's on Tesla's side. I just had a service appointment last week and they did nothing because it connected while it was at the SvC. I'll be pushing this again with another service appt once I can clear some time to deal with it. If I turn sentry mode on at home, it keeps the car "on" and I can connect early in the morning to prep the car. Also going to play with preconditioning, even though my schedule isn't the same everyday. Just curious if the car will wake itself and turn climate on.

Reactions: Adopado
Yea, sentry mode is the workaround that Tesla service suggested to keep the car awake and therefore reachable, of course it uses battery to do that, buts a decent workaround.

I believe your schedules will work as they are held withi the car so no remote waking and connection etc needed.

My interaction with Tesla service involved them connecting to my car (I had to wake it as they couldn’t wake it and connect to it remotely), collecting data and determining that the wake and wasn’t being sent and was therefore problem.

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
Yea, sentry mode is the workaround that Tesla service suggested to keep the car awake and therefore reachable, of course it uses battery to do that, buts a decent workaround.

I believe your schedules will work as they are held withi the car so no remote waking and connection etc needed.

My interaction with Tesla service involved them connecting to my car (I had to wake it as they couldn’t wake it and connect to it remotely), collecting data and determining that the wake and wasn’t being sent and was therefore problem.
Also will need to be above 20% battery for sentry to work.