Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t connect to car via App - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue here overnight - car didn't charge on Intelligent Octopus as the wake command never went through. Fortunately I'm working late so didn't need an early charge. I feel like this is the third or fourth time this has happened in recent months - Tesla not able to match data capacity with all the demand from new owners? Certainly was a very rare occurrence a couple of years ago...

Exactly the same here!

I had the same issue during the delivery of my MY this past Sunday.
We found that the issue was somehow conflicting with my watch connected via Bluetooth to my phone. I disconnected the watch temporarily from Bluetooth and was able to reconnect. Right after reconnected watch and have not had any problems since.
I have a Samsung, however, the service center advised this is also a report they have found with iPhones and Apple watch when pairing.

I've had a couple of issues over the last couple of days, not connecting as normal and walk away not locking the doors this morning. I'm getting the feeling that these little niggles often happen before a decent software update occurs, Tesla Vision is due into my bus any time soon... I'm putting it down to that as it seems consistent prior to previous updates

There are multiple threads on this subject, so re-igniting this one rather than start a new one as its the most recent and its in the UK where I am.

The app (iPhone) has not been able to connect to the car (unless it is still awake after parking or sentry mode is on) since around last Wednesday which is quite possibly the day after updating to 2023.20.9 on the car and 4.23.6 of the app. I've tried all the very good suggestions like soft car reboot, app login/logout, reinstall app, wifi router reboot to no avail. Apart from the updates nothing has changed, there is good LTE where its parked and since getting the car couple of months ago there has been no problem with app connectivity, it has always woken it up quickly or connected immediately if it was already awake.

I don't see others posting on this currently so I'm assuming this isn't a wider issue with O2 not sending the "wake SMS" in the same way people in other regions have seen as a service outage, but I would be interested to know if others are having problems with the app waking their cars, especially if they are on the same 2023.20.9 software in combination with version 4.23.6 of the app. Thanks.

I found a work around for this, well it’s just interim though.
Follow these steps -
1) go to the Tesla app
2) cycle locks (click unlock and lock again with a second to 2 second gap between the clicks)
3) click climate
4) again cycle locks
5) go to climate
6) your car will wake now.
This works 90% of the time.
I know this sounds silly, but it works for me.please try.
Mind you , the car will sleep after 15-20 mins again and you would have to repeat these steps.

Thanks, yes I’m aware of that as the phone key connects via Bluetooth when it’s within range of the car and those actions will wake the car. Also if you keep sentry mode on it will keep the car awake (which is what I do so that intelligent octopus can charge the car overnight), but of course that comes with some battery drain which is why the car goes to sleep, to minimise that.

Going by the view in other threads, the problem we have is that when the car sleeps, opening the app is not waking it. This is either network problem in that when the app contacts Tesla’s servers they are not sending the wake SMS to the car, or if they are sending the wake SMS the car is not reacting to it. Im in touch with Tesla service so hopefully they will resolve this and I will update this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: RajG
Thanks, yes I’m aware of that as the phone key connects via Bluetooth when it’s within range of the car and those actions will wake the car. Also if you keep sentry mode on it will keep the car awake (which is what I do so that intelligent octopus can charge the car overnight), but of course that comes with some battery drain which is why the car goes to sleep, to minimise that.

Going by the view in other threads, the problem we have is that when the car sleeps, opening the app is not waking it. This is either network problem in that when the app contacts Tesla’s servers they are not sending the wake SMS to the car, or if they are sending the wake SMS the car is not reacting to it. Im in touch with Tesla service so hopefully they will resolve this and I will update this thread.
You are right , it’s the Bluetooth waking the car, which means my fix will not work if the car is out of Bluetooth range.
Let’s hope Tesla fixes this soon

Reactions: Parrog
the problem we have is that when the car sleeps, opening the app is not waking it

Dunno if it would help, but TeslaFi Scheduler has a "Wake" API command

You could schedule that (seems useless as when-you-want-it you want it, not at 03:24AM ! )

But TeslaFi also has poor-man's API, which makes it easy to construct a "link" which will ask TeslaFi to ask you car to do XXX - e.g. "Wake"

Then you could just click on that "link". maybe multiple times ... seems like a monster-bodge, but i suppose when you are desperate for Elastoplast then any brand will do

With a referral the TeslaFi trial is a month, rather than 14 days ...

Reactions: RajG
Its not the app waking the car (except in close proximity when it is via bluetooth), but Teslas servers (albeit via SMS) when told to by the app. So using TeslaFi etc uses exactly the same SMS mechanisms from Teslas servers. Its just a different way of telling Teslas servers to wake the car.

Reactions: Parrog
So using TeslaFi etc uses exactly the same SMS mechanisms from Teslas servers

One of my cars has been stubborn, to wake, for quite a while. Its not really a bother (worse case I can get the fob and point it out the window ...)

But TeslaFi repeated "wake" will usually work, whereas APP doesn't. Unless I am misremembering, there is no WAKE command in APP, so that occurs when I swipe the APP to bring that car into focus, and then I get a spinner and eventually (I think??) some sort of message saying it failed. I then probably have to navigate away and back again to trigger another wake.

Maybe there is an easier way, with APP, but TeslaFi route has enabled me to throw togeter something trivial that will do repeated "Click-link"

This has nothing to do with the current problem (assuming it is related to recent release) 'coz my car has been doing this for months, and I think it is more likely lack of WiFi / mobile phone signal where it is parked, the other car is nearer to civialisation!

Tesla Service got me to get the car online via wifi at home earlier this morning as they couldn't connect remotely to gather initial data. They've just confirmed that wake SMS signal are not being sent to the car, so they've escalated a diagnosis session with engineering and will be back in touch.

PS. Having had 2 VW group EVs prior to this car, this experience of getting support and issue investigation is on a different planet. VW group is classic legacy automotive in its approach, it has digital support for app related issues only, car support is dealer based who know very little about software. Mine had issues with the app and car, it was a useless mess, car went into workshop 3 times and was never fixed. It had to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV and RajG
Tesla Service got me to get the car online via wifi at home earlier this morning as they couldn't connect remotely to gather initial data. They've just confirmed that wake SMS signal are not being sent to the car, so they've escalated a diagnosis session with engineering and will be back in touch.

PS. Having had 2 VW group EVs prior to this car, this experience of getting support and issue investigation is on a different planet. VW group is classic legacy automotive in its approach, it has digital support for app related issues only, car support is dealer based who know very little about software. Mine had issues with the app and car, it was a useless mess, car went into workshop 3 times and was never fixed. It had to go.
thanks for keeping us posted !

Having had 2 VW group EVs prior to this car, this experience of getting support and issue investigation is on a different planet

An example of that:

Driving down motorway there was a loud bang. I thought (wrongly) that some dashboard indicators had dimmed ... couldn't see anything else wrong, so carried on.

Got home, called support, and on the basis of my wrong info about dashboard lights dimming said "I wondered if might have been a fuse linked to dashboard display / lights"

It was middle of the night, voice sounded like they might be in America ...

I heard CLICK-CLICK-CLICK on his keyboard.

"No Sir, all your fuses are fine"

I was impressed, and that was back in 2016 ... even if VW can do that now?? I doubt they could back then ...

• Funny
Reactions: Parrog and RajG