TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can a Model S be towed by an SUV?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

has anyone done this? need to go cross country with two cars, and thinking about driving my Mercedes GL550 SUV and pulling/towing the Model S. wondering any pros, cons, and any opinions.

Thanks

2. DMage

DMage Member

Outside fuel costs and it being more difficult to haul? Should be doable. You can pick up a U-Haul auto transport, weighs 2,210 lbs according to U-hauls site. Plus the Model S curb weight of around 4,700 you are looking at 6,900 lbs. Another quick google pulled back a tow capacity of 7,500 pounds on a 2015 GL550.

3. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

Yep...flatbed only way to go.

4. Hendry01

Hendry01 Member

I would prefer to drive the model S cross country. But yes, do flatbed and you should be fine

5. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

I suspect that the original poster may have been thinking about towing it on its wheels.

My instinct would be to run screaming from that idea, but I actually know anything about it. Anyone more knowledgeable want to comment?

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

7. sloopee

sloopee Member

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

ship the Benz and drive the S for free :)

9. jlucero

jlucero Member

yes most likely we will just ship SUV and drive S...thanks. just wanted to see if towing was an option, but it looks like it might be more hassle to deal with.

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Tesla states that doing anything other than flatbedding it is a no-no. But some people don't want to listen to that, and hence we have the Russian video.

Assuming you had to, I would pull it on a lightweight trailer, myself. When I moved from California to Illinois in 2000, I pulled a trailer with my Buick sedan behind my Suburban... it worked fine.

Just make sure your towing capacity is enough (I don't know what the Mercedes G permits)... Model S + trailer is likely to be about 6k lbs.

As you noted, it may be less expensive to just ship the SUV - in my case, my rental was nearly free so all I paid was gas.

11. m2140

m2140 Member

I don't think your SUV will be able to tow the trailer and your model s. It's not that the SUV does not have the capacity. It's more that the payload of the SUV cannot safely tow the weight.

The S plus the trailer and you are very close to the max capability of your SUV. Your SUV can tow 7500 lbs and the s plus the trailer is closer to 7000 lbs. uhaul flatbed trailers are heavy.

Your MB has a limited payload capacity, far less that most trucks that have a 1500 lbs capacity. So you will end up with the front end up high creating an unsafe towing situation. First bump and your front wheels can easily be lifted off the road and you will loose control.

I have towed a lot over the years with trucks and SUV. I would highly not recommending towing a heavy car like the Tesla with your SUV.

12. jlucero

jlucero Member

yes thank you, ill just ship the SUV...

13. SabrToothSqrl

Or!!!! sell it and buy an X :)

just sayin' ;)

14. jlucero

jlucero Member

not a fan of the X lol...looks like a fat and bloated S...

15. deonb

deonb Active Member

I think Russian people (my Russian friends at least), is very against the concept of buying something and then getting told how you're allowed to own it.

16. SabrToothSqrl

Yeah, I've been waiting for one for so long, now that I see it, it does have a fat ass... so I may adjust my future order from a X90D, to a CPO S-P85D...