Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Tesla assist ICE car to jump start?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always used to carry jumper cables around, and had helped people who needed them. That is until I switched to Tesla.
Is there a way to connect the jumper cables to Tesla to help someone jump start?
Almost feels cruel to have such a giant battery in the car, always filled up, but not be able to share little juice with someone in need.

I always used to carry jumper cables around, and had helped people who needed them. That is until I switched to Tesla.
Is there a way to connect the jumper cables to Tesla to help someone jump start?
Almost feels cruel to have such a giant battery in the car, always filled up, but not be able to share little juice with someone in need.
Read your owner’s manual.

Reactions: VegasMYP
Upvote 0
You should never "Jump Start" an ICE vehicle.

In a pinch, you can use your Tesla as a battery charger for an ICE vehicle. If you do, take the keys away from the other person first so they don't try to start while still plugged into your Tesla.

I've never done it and recommend against it. If you feel like you need to be a Good Samaritan, I suggest keeping one of those jump start packs in your trunk and letting them borrow that instead.

Reactions: yser
Upvote 0
I say go for it, then check the manual afterwards.

Im marking this funny because it appears to be in jest to me.

OP, The reason so many people are saying "Read the manual" is because it specifically addresses this question. Whether you choose to ignore it or not is up to you, but the people that make the car say "No dont do that".

You can find it here:

The specific quote that directly answers the question is here:

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 3.48.10 PM.png

if this really concerns you, instead of carrying jumper cables, you can carry a jumper pack around and its probably smaller than carrying cables around.

Upvote 0
Purchase a portable lithium jump starter. These accessories currently start at ~$60.

Upvote 0
I agree with others, get a portable jump starter. Then you can help others and help yourself too (with it in the frunk and a 12V A23 in tow hook cover to prepare to pop frunk if having a dead battery).

Don't bother with the jumpers cables. If you must do so, the safest way is to connect to their battery and let it charge a bit, and disconnect before them attempting to charge (don't crank while connected). The reason Tesla warns against it is likely because it may damage the DC-DC converter, and also because the 12V battery is smaller and might not be able to crank larger engines anyways.

Reactions: brkaus and yser
Upvote 0
Is the 12 volt on the tesla hard to get at? maybe you could disconnect it from the Tesla and let them jump off of it. I'm talking if there is a real emergency.
Most newer Teslas don’t even have a traditional 12v auxiliary battery, they use a 16v li-ion now.

For what it’s worth, my 2021 MY (with an old school 12v battery) has a set of terminals accessible by popping the front tow hook panel off on the front bumper. But in the manual it states that those are only to be used in an emergency to jump start the Tesla, not the other way around.

Reactions: Spinkick and yser
Upvote 0
Most newer Teslas don’t even have a traditional 12v auxiliary battery, they use a 16v li-ion now.

For what it’s worth, my 2021 MY (with an old school 12v battery) has a set of terminals accessible by popping the front tow hook panel off on the front bumper. But in the manual it states that those are only to be used in an emergency to jump start the Tesla, not the other way around.
To clarify, those terminals only connect to the frunk latch and is used to pop the frunk. It can't be used to jump the Tesla. After popping the frunk, you still have to connect to the 12V battery terminals, by opening the frunk and removing the maintenance panel (the one where the washer fluid is):

AFAIK only the older Model S with the nose cone had terminals in the front that actually could be used to jump the car.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
Upvote 0
To clarify, those terminals only connect to the frunk latch and is used to pop the frunk. It can't be used to jump the Tesla. After popping the frunk, you still have to connect to the 12V battery terminals, by opening the frunk and removing the maintenance panel (the one where the washer fluid is):

AFAIK only the older Model S with the nose cone had terminals in the front that actually could be used to jump the car.
Good to know! Thanks for the clarification.

Upvote 0
Instead of jumper cables just carry one of those battery banks that can jump start. We have the Halo Bolt. I often have to jump start my tractor with it. Works great!

It's kind of frustrating. Jumper cables are just metal and plastic. Instead now you have to carry a very small battery so you can charge your small battery that will allow you to use your big battery.

Reactions: 240vPlug
Upvote 0