Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to work today had a few niggling problems with model 3 , decided factory reset would sort it out.
Had to drive home with frozen computer, can do nothing was actually dangerous in the rain as I had to keep hitting the button on the stall to work wipers. As we speak car is outside on charge telling me it is doing a steady 20mph nothing on the screen works at all. I fell I need to reboot but can do nothing.
Tried phoning Tesla but as it's not a roadside emergency their not interested. Any advice anyone pleeeeease?

You mentioned a factory reset? Did you mean a software reset, by holding down the nipples on the steering wheel? There is also a hard reset by holding down the brake and the nipples. Last thing you could try is to completely power down the car by unplugging both batteries, 12 volt first. Good Luck!

I still do the brake-plus-buttons hard reset, but looking at the M3 manual it has no mention of that, perhaps I should give that up now :)

Reboot screen:

[put into] Park then Two-buttons ("Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black") - no longer any indication to keep them held until Logo reappears, nor anything about also pressing Brake Pedal (but it does say to select Park ... presumably that is a Health and Safety thing, as reboot during driving means no instruments during the reboot ... but to my mind reboot is preferable, whilst driving, to "duff instruments")

Power cycling:

Park then select Controls : Safety & Security : Power Off

Sit in car for at least 2 minutes, do not touch screen, Brake pedal, nor open the door.

Then after 2 minutes press Brake or open door to wake the car.

How does "at least 2 minutes" work ... no way of knowing when it is done ... I can time it on my watch/phone of course, but a Beep or something would be helpful (from memory there is a mechanical Clunk at some point)

I've had brake pedal reboots cause the car to do things that didn't occur during non brake pedal reboots - flash lights, run hvac etc. Doesn't always happen, but its happened but may just be coincidence - but I would be surprised if car would start flashing its lights if it was being driven like you can with a non brake reboot.

And if Tesla have asked people to keep foot on brake whilst doing a reboot, you kind of think there may be something in it. But then, they come out will all sorts of codswallop you never quite know who to believe.

But keeping foot on brake doesn't cost anything, so I continue to do so for peace of mind.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
But keeping foot on brake doesn't cost anything, so I continue to do so for peace of mind.

My theory is that the foot on brake instruction was originally suggested not because it makes a difference to the reboot but as a safety measure to make sure the car doesn't roll away during the reboot if the auto control of the brakes should release. However, I still do it ... just in case!

have just had to change the rear tyres on my 2019 model 3 9500 miles, I put the exact same tyres back on but the car just does not feel right, it feels as if it's sitting higher and the backend wants to drift on corners, has anyone else had similar problems?

have just had to change the rear tyres on my 2019 model 3 9500 miles, I put the exact same tyres back on but the car just does not feel right, it feels as if it's sitting higher and the backend wants to drift on corners, has anyone else had similar problems?
Are the tyre pressures set correctly?

Is it possible the alignment has been altered? (shouldn't happen from changing a tyre)

Have a look at the lugnuts to ensure they're all present and tight. If you have a torque wrench confirm they're to spec.

Yes, check tyre pressures but switching from worn to new tyres can feel different initially because you've got all that new tread wobbling about beneath you. Are they exactly the same tyres i.e same load rating etc.?