Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Apple Watch be used instead of phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can.

You can pay for STATS in the Apple Store, install it on your Apple Watch and iPhone. Then it can be setup as a complication on the Apple Watch or just an app you run. It enables commands like “Siri, unlock the car” from the watch as well as select “unlock” in the App, etc.

However, it needs to be a LTE enabled watch or Bluetooth connected to your cellphone so it can talk to the Tesla. I don’t think the watch can be Bluetooth connected to the Tesla, or at least i don’t know how to.

The app does allow Siri Shortcuts too.

Stats was $10 when I bought it, more now, will unlock your car, enable Sentry, open charge port, open frunk or trunk, turn on climate and start your car. EV Watch, might be $1 and can do similar things.

However, when I tried the apps, they were slow. It was a while back, when the apps were new. Perhaps, they're faster now. I have the cellular model of AppleWatch. Presumably the non-cellular model won't work, unless you're both connected to the internet.

They were slow enough that you wouldn't want to rely upon them for everyday use, but as an emergency backup, yeah, they're useful. May also be useful for those who do outdoor activities, like go somewhere, and bike, but don't want to carry a keycard or phone.

Every app that has to connect to the car via Internet is going to be slow, since in many cases the API server will have to wake up the car first. Unlocking via Bluetooth is much faster. Not sure if it's technically possible for the Watch to do that, but it seems Tesla isn't particularly interested in adding a Watch app. :(

Reactions: OCR1
I posted this in it's own thread but just in case...

RFID in a watch band

main purpose is that I can just touch my wrist to the B pillar before I walk away and the car will lock. No more slow walk listening intently to make sure the walk away feature works. In fact I might turn the walk away feature off that way the car will stay unlocked in my garage.

Quoted for emphasis. GREAT APP. it’s the only app I’ve ever bought...I’m a cheap ass.
Stats paid for itself 10x over last week. Moving and carried a pre-moving load and went to gym. Threw iPhone in gym bag as I always do. Then unloaded car and carried up to condo but left bag in car. Had to meet moves in ½ an hour and was hurrying. Realized my mistake and shot to the elevator knowing I only had a limited time (5 or 10 minutes???) to reach car before it would lock. As I stepped towards it the car locked. Realized I could use my Apple Watch/Stats to unlock the car. WHAT a relief.

If you use Homebridge, there is a Tesla plugin that makes Siri support better. I know the Tesla app has some support but I like the flexibility of the plugin much better. It’s easy to just activate Siri in the watch and say “turn on the model 3 climate” or “open the model 3 trunk”.

Its £44 which if ok is a fair price. Without the ability to try before I buy I can’t see anyone forking that much out on the off chance it gives them what they want.

It wasnt that price when the poster originally posted (which was November 10th of 2019 or, just under 2 years ago). It is that price now.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
For just having an emergency key I find the ring a brilliant solution. I wear it in my thumb as I measured incorrectly but it looks cool, is a great party piece and those weird moments when for no reason the car asks for the key card it’s there.It matches my chairs too🧐
You can also lend it to someone if necessary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 76
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC