Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Australia succeed in becoming the "OPEC" for BEV motive force?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

In the thread linked below I made the assertion that WA has world-leading supplies of cobalt and lithium, both likely to be cheaper and easier to extract than in most locations. I further argued that with both of those essential metals close at hand it might well be more efficacious to have a WA-based gigafactory to produce batteries and packs for export.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion
post #30139

One should be foolish to imagine that would be simple because of lack of large population, engineers, and other skilled workers, among other things. Still, such production facilities are capital intensive and highly automated. If properly located there are quite excellent amenities and pleasing lifestyle for those skilled people.

Besides, now that ICE-age production has left Australia with the final demise of Holden in SA it seems only fair that Australia could be ready for the future. Considering government attitudes perhaps SA is a better bet than is WA, but shipping all that unprocessed lithium and cobalt seems a bit silly when they could go as completed batteries instead.

Who better to ask if I am completely bonkers than the denizens of this Forum?

What you are asserting makes complete sense. The problem is that Aus will probably have a couple of new PMs from the time any decision was made until the time it is reversed again. For some reason, the country cannot reframe itself from being a raw materials exporter only.

In the thread linked below I made the assertion that WA has world-leading supplies of cobalt and lithium, both likely to be cheaper and easier to extract than in most locations. I further argued that with both of those essential metals close at hand it might well be more efficacious to have a WA-based gigafactory to produce batteries and packs for export.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion
post #30139

One should be foolish to imagine that would be simple because of lack of large population, engineers, and other skilled workers, among other things. Still, such production facilities are capital intensive and highly automated. If properly located there are quite excellent amenities and pleasing lifestyle for those skilled people.

Besides, now that ICE-age production has left Australia with the final demise of Holden in SA it seems only fair that Australia could be ready for the future. Considering government attitudes perhaps SA is a better bet than is WA, but shipping all that unprocessed lithium and cobalt seems a bit silly when they could go as completed batteries instead.

Definately BUT the bloody Oz pollies are just sleeping on the job - see link.

https://www.9now.com.au/60-minutes/2017/episode-38

There is an advantage to having sleepy pollies but this isn't it.