Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep - I did. He does addess the topic you brought up.

I don't want to clog up the thread with this OT, and yes, he is super arrogant and rough around the edges, but so are some people here and many geniuses in history. I don't think we should completely turn our backs to them, but help them achieve their goals, as long as the end goal is to make the world a better place for all.

I have a feeling that the EV thing will be a repeat of the diesel thing ten years later. The pollution in creating batteries and electricity are not insignificant for most countries. The politicians are as smart as they were 1-2 decades ago.
Making car ownership cheaper also promotes more cars that cause more congestion for everyone.

Wow. May I ask what line of work you are in? Trying to figure out what makes your brain tick the way it does.

For stabilizing the power supply the solar/wind isn't nearly as important as the Powerpacks. It seems that it would be quite wise to divert battery production to in-house power supply stabilization immediately, as it would pay off fairly quickly in faster battery production. Not sure why they haven't prioritized this; they can always add the solar/wind later. It's also the only customer where they don't have to do delivery logistics! :)
One possibility is because rumors of power quality driven production interruptions are not true...

I don't think there is really any production hell going on - at least not the cause of this massive delay. I think EM is biding his time allowing infrastructure to get to where they think it has to be at a minimum before they really start production. I think they are getting all the kinks worked out and when they reach the designated point in the infrastructure build-out, they'll begin real production.

I think Elon was willing to take the hit on being late (and yes, bad press is better than no press) since he already has the reputation - because he knew the bad customer service the company would deliver for not having enough superchargers/SCs would be far more detrimental to Tesla.

Look, he said in the reveal that there would be 6 months of production hell - he was just letting those who are smart enough to truly understand him know the truth of when the car will come out.

JMHO of course.

I don't think there is really any production hell going on - at least not the cause of this massive delay. I think EM is biding his time allowing infrastructure to get to where they think it has to be at a minimum before they really start production. I think they are getting all the kinks worked out and when they reach the designated point in the infrastructure build-out, they'll begin real production.

I think Elon was willing to take the hit on being late (and yes, bad press is better than no press) since he already has the reputation - because he knew the bad customer service the company would deliver for not having enough superchargers/SCs would be far more detrimental to Tesla.

Look, he said in the reveal that there would be 6 months of production hell - he was just letting those who are smart enough to truly understand him know the truth of when the car will come out.

JMHO of course.

So, In your opinion, the only bottleneck is that EM/Tesla is building out the infrastructure to support more Tesla vehicles on the road and once that happens then the floodgate of model 3 will be released? They have the capability to produce many more model 3 right NOW but are delaying on purpose?

I do not agree.

Where is the tipping point? It seems an average car was paying almost $100k in new car taxes earlier. Plus toll taxes, ferry charges and very high taxes on gasoline. At the Norwegian car sales rate of ~13600 cars a month, that's a loss of $1.5B in revenue every month just in initial taxes. If the entire new car sales are BEVs and PHEVs, how is the govt going to fill this big hole in the budget?
Norway has about 1 trillion in reserves from their investments from oil revenues. They are investing in a renewable future. England’s North Sea oil will run out with no long term gains, while Norway will walk away with inter-generational wealth, a clean environment and a healthy population. I suspect you know all this already.

So, In your opinion, the only bottleneck is that EM/Tesla is building out the infrastructure to support more Tesla vehicles on the road and once that happens then the floodgate of model 3 will be released? They have the capability to produce many more model 3 right NOW but are delaying on purpose?

I do not agree.

Not just for the infrastructure, but also to perfect the production process. Plain and simple, Tesla cannot afford a repeat of what happened with the X ( as far as poor build quality). Best to ensure you are building prefect cars from day 1, with infrastructure to support the massive number of M3s that will be sold.

Ok, I'm not sure if I actually believe it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Norway has about 1 trillion in reserves from their investments from oil revenues. They are investing in a renewable future. England’s North Sea oil will run out with no long term gains, while Norway will walk away with inter-generational wealth, a clean environment and a healthy population. I suspect you know all this already.
Nuclear submarines to protect Northern NATO cost money don't you know...
And don't let a Scotsman hear you describe the North Sea Oil as English ;)

Impressive new autopilot video. The previous versions would quit on almost every bend. Go Karpathy!

Won't let me embed the video halfway, but that's where the best bits start.

Quite impressive! My routes are way more boring than that. Watching that video reminded me that I never get those “take over the wheel” warnings anymore on HW driving. Even when the sun makes the lines invisible (not gray or blue) both the X and S handle it without me taking over anymore (way back when on the S [AP1] it used to Always tell me to take over at those points). Progress!

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3

JMHO of course.

I spoke with a service guy last week (my S was in for its annual service) and asked him about the 3 delay. He said he was at the Fremont factory in September and your theory above is what he said is the reason for the delay. He said they don’t want to release the cars to an area until that area is ready for dealing with the deliveries and service needs.

I don’t know if I believe him but it is interesting to read your post. Did you hear this from a Tesla employee or is it your own theory?

I still don't buy the rumor of power problems at GF causing major stoppage of work. Anything that is so critical to maintain power for (such as environmental control for the electrolyte) would come with it's own UPS system dedicated to it, not even needing a site-wide PowerPack setup to protect it. Nobody would build such a facility with such equipment and not provide a UPS for it, unless they were extremely irresponsible and pocketing the savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.