Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I route to specific supercharger destinations for a long trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from a 1000 mile road trip from North Jersey to the Outer Banks in NC. Overall great experience. Before I left I put in the address to my destination....however, I didn't like the supercharger locations it was taking me to. (it actually changed the supercharger locations from the night before) Is there a way to route to superchargers of your own choosing instead of letting it do it for you? I ended up just putting in each supercharger location as the destination each time which kind of ruined the fun of seeing the stats for the overall trip at the end.

This has been one of my complaints (and likely other people as well). Unfortunately, there is presently no way to do it except for the way you are doing it. Hopefully that will change in the future. It would be good for the map to allow selection of super-chargers along the route.

I am always annoyed when I travel from Sparks down to San Diego that the X wants me to stop at the first supercharger even though I would still have over 150 miles remaining. I could easily reach the 2nd SC along the route and still have 90 miles remaining! Not sure why it makes the selections as it does. I'm going to ask around at the plant to see who knows and make a suggestion.

I just did a 800 mile trip from NJ to falling water in southwestern PA. What I would do is to use A Better Routeplanner and locate all the superchargers I want to use first then in the MX GPS I input the destination address and turn on the "lighting bolt" on the screen to see all the superchargers and just click on the one I want and it will navigate to that one. My GPS doesn't pick a Supercharger for me or maybe I'm doing something wrong or don't have a specific setting on?

Reactions: Dr Doom and DarrenK
I just did a 800 mile trip from NJ to falling water in southwestern PA. What I would do is to use A Better Routeplanner and locate all the superchargers I want to use first then in the MX GPS I input the destination address and turn on the "lighting bolt" on the screen to see all the superchargers and just click on the one I want and it will navigate to that one. My GPS doesn't pick a Supercharger for me or maybe I'm doing something wrong or don't have a specific setting on?

When you input your final destination, the route it plans out includes superchargers, for sure, but it might not be obvious from the user interface. If you click the little map tile icon on the top right corner once or twice, it should show you the entire route with the supercharger stops it found for you. Now as mentioned, those might not be the ones you want to stop at, but the in-car nav should give you a decent route, including supercharges, if they are needed to get there.

You can always tell this, because when you start such a route, the Nav ETA in miles and time is to the next supercharger, not your final destination unless you click on the button that says "show entire trip" or something like that.

• Informative
Reactions: ckwong and Jurnimon
Nav might know something you don’t. Checking against Waze and Google directions revealed that some differences may have been due to traffic or construction. For example, going south over NY city was via Tappan Zee midday midweek but going north Sunday evening was via the GWB (not a bad choice for that hour, I chose to go back north to cross at TZ and ran into a lot of construction delay).

Reactions: Peteybabes
Nav might know something you don’t. Checking against Waze and Google directions revealed that some differences may have been due to traffic or construction. For example, going south over NY city was via Tappan Zee midday midweek but going north Sunday evening was via the GWB (not a bad choice for that hour, I chose to go back north to cross at TZ and ran into a lot of construction delay).
good point, doesn't google use people's phone location and WAZE to come up with "traffic" info on the screen?

i think it can re-route before we know that there's an issue...

I don't fully trust the navigation to route me the quickest, most efficient way. I thought it would be fun one time to see the stats of how much battery I use on the way to a place I go all of the time. My X was trying to take me the loooonnnnggg way around and went from 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes. I always back up with Waze.

Last edited: