Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I safely use the 80A Ford Charge Station Pro........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Yes.
2) No need to worry. The car pulls the power, the EVSE doesn't push it. The EVSE's primary role is to set an upper limit to charging to ensure that a car can't overload the circuit. That's not a problem here.
3) You use the J1772 adapter that came with your car. (The adapter you linked to is for high-power DC fast charging to allow a Tesla to use a CCS charger.)

To charge my 2023 Model YP ? I worry because the charge limit on the Tesla app only goes up to 48A.
It will work just fine. The car and charging equipment negotiate the max rate each is capable of.

If it can be done safely , this is the type of adapter I need , correct ? TIA.
No, that’s for DC fast charging. All you need is the J1772 adapter that came with your car.

Reactions: JonBap
Sorry, there is some misinformation here. You CANNOT use a regular j1772 adapter with the 80A ford power station pro. The power station pro uses the CCS DC fast charge pins for the vehicle-to-home capabilities.

I believe that some people have already tried using a CCS adapter with a Tesla and it does not work.

• Informative
Reactions: JonBap and ucmndd
Thanks for the responses. I did buy a J1772 , but never received one when taking delivery of the car. Has that been discontinued , Tesla including one ? Not a big deal , just curious. We took delivery in June of '23 , btw.
Took delivery of my MY in May 2023, it had one. I knew to look for it, found it in one on the rear side pockets with the front license plate holder.

Sorry, there is some misinformation here. You CANNOT use a regular j1772 adapter with the 80A ford power station pro. The power station pro uses the CCS DC fast charge pins for the vehicle-to-home capabilities.

I believe that some people have already tried using a CCS adapter with a Tesla and it does not work.
Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize it used the CCS form factor for the V2H stuff.

Makes me curious how it all works honestly… does the truck just send DC power out the battery? Is there an inverter in the charge station pro? Is it sending AC over the DC pins? Interesting.

Yes FatFalcon , you are correct . the J1772 adapter I have won't even attach to the Ford Pro . see pics . ( not sure why pics won't show , I'm computer illiterate , pretty much , sorry ) . I ordered a CCS adaptor , regardless. Worse case , I'll return it if it doesn't work.

Attachments

• Adapter .zip
    426.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Adapter (2).zip
    426.1 KB · Views: 18

Thanks.

However, the Internet says it is possible:

Summary:
(1) Trim some plastic off the Tesla J1772 adapter so that it can attach to the plug.
(2) If it doesn't charge, set the Tesla to 36A max.

The Ford Charge Station Pro is a unique animal. There’s no other EVSE like it being sold since it has a full CCS connector rather than a J1772 connector. Personally, I would install a separate EVSE for a second EV and not bother with jumping through hoops trying to charge a Tesla from it. From that thread, it seems like it is not reliable using adapters.

Reactions: Rocky_H