Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I share my app/account with my wife please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

i have had my MX now for 4 years and best car I have ever owned or driven. Love it! So I thought I’d get my wife a M3, now my question is, those of you who are in the same situation, owning 2 or more teslas in same household.
can I share my account details (account name and password) with my wife please? The model 3 is also in my name, although she will be driving it most of the time.
just be easier for her to download the Tesla app and sign in with my details. Any problems to doing this please? Rather than her having to make a totally new account etc.

thanks for any help.

Hey guys

i have had my MX now for 4 years and best car I have ever owned or driven. Love it! So I thought I’d get my wife a M3, now my question is, those of you who are in the same situation, owning 2 or more teslas in same household.
can I share my account details (account name and password) with my wife please? The model 3 is also in my name, although she will be driving it most of the time.
just be easier for her to download the Tesla app and sign in with my details. Any problems to doing this please? Rather than her having to make a totally new account etc.

thanks for any help.
Yes

Reactions: Badmonk
None. I gave my wife my credentials. No drawbacks in my use case as I don’t mind her having my Tesla account credentials.

I remember a way that you could allow someone else’s Tesla account to gain access to your car but I never checked in on it as just giving her my credentials worked just fine.

665270CD-77B2-4DB7-980D-88B7CC38FF92.png

You can add a driver on your account page. I would personally just give my wife my log in credentials and set her phone as the primary key within the car

If you share your account with your wife, she’ll have access to both cars via the app. If she has her own account and you add her as a driver to her car, that’s the only car she’ll have access to. The latter is how I’ve set up access to my and my wife’s cars.

I believe that being an additional driver limits your ability to schedule service and maybe access Roadside Assistance (not sure about that).

Hey guys

thanks for any help.

I think my set up is the same as your's. Two tesla's owned by me, wife and I use same login (mine). Only issue is if you don't trust your wife ;) or you don't want her seeing the location of your car in the app ;)

Serisously though, no issue. never tried the other account thing and granting access, I don't let anyone borrow my cars.

I think my set up is the same as your's. Two tesla's owned by me, wife and I use same login (mine). Only issue is if you don't trust your wife ;) or you don't want her seeing the location of your car in the app ;)

Serisously though, no issue. never tried the other account thing and granting access, I don't let anyone borrow my cars.
Nah no issues with my wife knowing where I am lol

thanks for the reply. Sounds like it will work fine then with her using my sign in details.

Any drawbacks to this please? Anyone got actual experience sharing the app? Anything I should look out for please?

I made a post on various options for additional drivers. The tesla website has been re designed so the workflows are not fully accurate any longer, but the information is still relevant and on point for your question.

That thread is here:

Hey guys

thanks for any help.
There are some privacy issues. The app knows where each car is. Some wives might not want their huspand always to know there their car is, &c. Still, the phone app is a great covenience, especially the walk away lock feature. Each marriage is different.

My wife has her own account and I made her an authorized driver of both our Teslas. She is fully able to do everything, including request roadside assistance or make service appointments.

I like this better than account sharing. If either of us gets locked out of our Tesla account, the other will still be able to access the cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Human_ and Amped412
There are some limitations to "authorized driver" vs owner account. For example, if you are using the Safety Score, that only shows in the app for the owner account. Also, I think the same is also true for charging stats. But I agree it's better to not share credentials.