Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can NC resident buy Tesla in PA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subject says it all. Several inventory vehicles there I am interested in. Could fly up to Pittsburgh and buy one, but need to know if this is allowed. (I understand from reading this forum, that you can't buy vehicles in Ohio if you live out of state. Thanks!

I don't get this whole thing about vehicles can only be titled in certain states from certain DC. Over the years I have purchased vehicles from PA, NJ, and NC and I am in MD. Never had an issue. They collect and pay MD sales tax as well as do the title work. Unless things have changed in the last few years.

I'm unaware of any restriction to titling and registering a car in a different state than where you bought it. You may well have to handle more of the paperwork yourself, and things like lemon laws will probably use the rules of the state where you purchased it rather than your home state. Of course you need to pay the sales tax in the state where you register the car. Talk to your home state registrar about the process you need to follow and the paperwork you need-- the out of state dealer will not know what your state wants, so you need to.

Subject says it all. Several inventory vehicles there I am interested in. Could fly up to Pittsburgh and buy one, but need to know if this is allowed. (I understand from reading this forum, that you can't buy vehicles in Ohio if you live out of state. Thanks!

Depends on the states involved. I contemplated "this" when I saw my ordered MY available in PA and called my local SA (in VA) who told me it's a HUGE pita. In my case, I would have had to pay for registration, tax, etc. in both states.

Could you do it? Yes. Will it cost you $? Yes.

I recommend calling your local SA for recommendations.

Good luck!

Last edited: