TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can we dim the touchsceen? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Orthonos, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

Hi guys. I read on a thread (possibly Dadaelus' adventures) how they didn't find the touchscreen too bright at night, but as I just drove home through rural areas at night, I really found the small display on my relative's mazda annoyingly bright. As someone particularly sensitive to light when driving at night, I was wondering if the touchscreen can be dimmed, or is it really not a problem (question for those lucky enough to have gotten their Model S already)? Thanks.

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I will have to play with mine more and gather more info on small adjustments to the brightness and whether they happen. The Model S has a manual brightness slider control and a Day/Night/Auto mode. The problem that I have had is that when I put it in Auto mode, it seems to only use an outside ambient light detector. Therefore, it goes into Night mode in my garage during the day and mistakingly went into Day mode going through a brightly kit tunnel at night. The problem with the mistake in the tunnel was that it stayed in the Day mode for 10's of seconds down a curvy mountain road and the displays were blindingly bright until they finally went into Night mode; by then, I had lost a lot of my night vision.

3. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

You can set one of the dials on the steering wheel to control brightness. I have one set for volume and the other for this. It's pretty useful, and I'm happy with the brightness of the screens.

4. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

You can also adjust it in the settings portion of the display. It adjusts both the screens at the same time. You also set the dim for the day and night mode separately.

I personally feel it is a set it and forget it type thing.

5. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

The screens should definitively adjust the brightness automatically. I`ve had this in most of my cars since 1998 (begun with a Saab 9-5). Was actually shocked when i noticed my 2004 Golf did not have this :)

6. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

Thanks guys :) Much appreciate the info.

7. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Yes, it does adjust automatically. But I'm such a control freak I like being above to easily manually adjust as well. Its up to you!

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Again, thankfully this should be easily fixable by incorporating the system clock and how it's intepreted by the software. Have you passed this feedback on to Tesla? Please do, as this is the sort of feedback that will be incorporated into future software updates :).

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1. I have a GPS that bases its day/night mode on the time of sunrise/sunset, and this is far more satisfactory. Basing it on ambient light usually results in stupid things like your headlights turning on briefly while you're backing out of your garage, and simultaneously you can't see the backup camera image because you're backing into bright sunlight.

10. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

+1Cottonwood. Today was rainy and dark(ish) all day. My displays kept jumping between Day and Night mode. Several annoying aspects that I hope Tesla improves in future software:

(1) the switch is 100% immediate. My wife's Lexus has a smooth transition ("animation") between night and day modes on her displays. That prevents it from being a jarring "WHAT just happened?" event and gives you a few seconds to observe the transition and not be surprised.

(2) there seems to be only one "brightness" setting for each mode, e.g. one for Day and one for Night. These settings do NOT appear to be relative to ambient light, so what worked last night for my "Night" mode was way too dim to today's auto switch when the rainstorm started.

What we have with sw 4.0 is usable but not refined in comparison with the competition. Hoping this is improved in the future.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If it's bouncing back and forth then they just need to add some hysteresis, like a thermostat.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It does it quite a bit during Seattle's gray time...err, daytime.

13. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Common occurence with auto setting in 90% of the cars that I drive with similar setups.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I agree with the suggestion of having the screen brightness scale with ambient light. I find 10% Night to be as much as I want in true night driving, but this morning (gray, rain), the car also chose Night, and 10% wasn't enough. Of course, we can fiddle with brightness through the right scrollwheel, but a good automatic program would be better.

15. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

There's an interesting crossover between this issue and how tablets/laptops currently implement Ambient Brightness Sensor support. Microsoft noticed this jarring change in brightness as well as low levels of brightness granularity, so in Windows8 they required a 'smooth brightness' feature - this required brightness to be controlled at 100 levels, and they then drive the backlight subsystem with smooth transitions from current to new determined levels.

Tesla would be smart to review how this works on current tablet/laptops. Even so, the blinding brightness is possibly a safety issue.

david

16. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I like the idea of scaled brightness, but there's also a decision to be made as to when the colors get inverted, right? Maybe something configurable

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Yes, you're right. When you have black-on-white text in daytime mode, but white-on-black text in night mode, there has to be a cutover point when the text flips from black to white, or vice versa. Likewise with the Google map tiles.

18. billarnett

billarnett Member

Another nit I noticed: when you click the scroll wheel it goes to 100%. Good. But a second click should go back to the previous setting.

19. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

#19 CHG-ON, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    I default mine to night almost all the time. I use 100% during the day, 50% during twilight and 0% at night. Works well for me. I like a dark cabin. I only use day when doing long highway cruises in bright sun. I find it way to distractive for me. I really love new SW upgrade where it can set the right scroll to a particular seeing, usually display for me, and then just tap it to go ti immediate 50%. Very handy.