Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we officially bury the MCU1 Web Browser as dead forever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superman?

I've considered it dead for a long time. I simply don’t care. My phone has my bookmarks, login passwords, etc. I don’t need another browser.
If you prefer to use your phone while driving, your phone has GPS with directions, so for you maps and navigation are also unnecessary features. New cars don't have pano roof, and some people who have it don't use it either, but that is not a good reason for Tesla to remove the pano controls from the car. Most people prefer the features they paid for continue to work, even if some other people don't use the feature.

Everytime there is a new software update, everyone gets excited when the browser works for a few hours. It only works because the car resets itself during the update. THE BROWSER IS DEAD, BURY IT, CONSIDER THIS MERCY.

Bonus points if you can guess the movie quote.
Sorry, not letting Tesla off the hook so easy. You think if I stopped paying for the car, they would just bury the remaining loan and let me keep the car (and consider it mercy)? ;)

2 years ago when I bought the car I played with the browser a little, it may have functioned in a technical sense but not practical.
It worked well for waze (pre V9) - showing traffic and police speed traps. I used it as a stop gap measure until Elon's promised SDK was going to be released, so a proper Waze app can be written, but as with many Elon promises, it turned out to be a complete lie as it's 6 years later now and still not here (and not likely to ever be released).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rickyjb
It worked well for waze (pre V9) - showing traffic and police speed traps. I used it as a stop gap measure until Elon's promised SDK was going to be released, so a proper Waze app can be written, but as with many Elon promises, it turned out to be a complete lie as it's 6 years later now and still not here (and not likely to ever be released).
Its too bad that the really early adopters like yourself have been let down so many times by Tesla time and time again. I just got a 2016 S75D 4 months ago and never really used the browser for anything. I also didn't go through having features removed that I paid for, so my perspective isn't quite the same. Right now, I have zero regrets with my first EV purchase and always look for ways to get out and experience the peace/quiet, instantaneous torque rush etc of my car.

After 36 months of S ownership, I think my web browser has about 30 seconds of usage. Every time one of these threads pops up, it makes me laugh.

Compare those stats to my two year old Model 3. Its browser has probably been used a total of one hour.

MCU2 would be nice to have on my S for many reasons, web browsing not being one of them. My iPhone browser is 1000% better.

Last edited:
After 36 months of S ownership, I think my web browser has about 30 seconds of usage. Every time one of these threads pops up, it makes me laugh.

Compare those stats to my two year old Model 3. Its browser has probably been used a total of one hour.

MCU2 would be nice to have on my S for many reasons, web browsing not being one of them. My iPhone browser is 1000% better.
Yep, after 72 months of ownership, I should be laughing every time I see a thread about sentry mode problems (I have exactly 0 seconds time usage of that feature), NoA (also 0 seconds usage), Summon (about 30 seconds usage), AutoPark (10 minutes total usage maybe since it came out), dashcam (0 seconds total usage, have dedicated dashams that work way better), and a few other features our cars have but I find useless, dangerous, or not worth using. I don't know why Tesla bothers with those features, right?

Reactions: Chaserr
Yep, after 72 months of ownership, I should be laughing every time I see a thread about sentry mode problems (I have exactly 0 seconds time usage of that feature), NoA (also 0 seconds usage), Summon (about 30 seconds usage), AutoPark (10 minutes total usage maybe since it came out), dashcam (0 seconds total usage, have dedicated dashams that work way better), and a few other features our cars have but I find useless, dangerous, or not worth using. I don't know why Tesla bothers with those features, right?
OK I’ll help you out. The browser was included on the MCU1 cars on the assumption it could be modified and made useful someday. It couldn’t. I realize you had other questions but answering those would be stealing this thread about the browser.

Last edited:
Yep, after 72 months of ownership, I should be laughing every time I see a thread about sentry mode problems
You forgot about the still in beta rain sensing wipers, I'm sure if the fart simulator and games team can drag themselves away from the next zany project they might even be able to get them to function slightly better than 'what a joke, I'll just control the speed myself'.

You forgot about the still in beta rain sensing wipers, I'm sure if the fart simulator and games team can drag themselves away from the next zany project they might even be able to get them to function slightly better than 'what a joke, I'll just control the speed myself'.
I didn't forget, was listing features which I have little to no usage history, therefore as @azred said, I should be laughing at threads complaining about them not working (as per his example of laughing at threads about the browser, since he has only used the browser 30 seconds in 36 months). I have a lot of time using wipers (I live in Seattle area, famous for rain ;)).