Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we watch solar eclipse through pano/all glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if it is safe to watch the solar eclipse through the beautiful pano or all glass roof on Model S. The glass is factory tinted for UV/IR protection but not sure if it is strong enough.

I am asking because I would love to seat my 4 year old in the car to watch it assuming he is not old enough to keep the solar glass on all the time and want to have an extra level of protection for his eyes.

NO, this would be extremely dangerous. Please only use ISO-certified solar lenses at all times (unless you are in the path of the complete eclipse where the entire sun is occluded, you have ~2 minutes to observe the corona, but be sure to get the glasses back on as soon as the sun starts peaking out again). Otherwise there are many other indirect ways of observing the gradual eclipse of the sun. This stuff is no joke, I'm really not looking forward to the news stories of people needlessly getting damaged vision during this event :(

Last edited:
NO, this would be extremely dangerous. Please only use ISO-certified solar lenses at all times (unless you are in the path of the complete eclipse where the entire sun is occluded, you have ~2 minutes to observe the corona, but be sure to get the glasses back on as soon as the sun starts peaking out again). Otherwise there are many other indirect ways of observing the gradual eclipse of the sun. This stuff is no joke, I'm really not looking forward to the news stories of people needlessly getting damaged vision during this event :(
And I'm sure there will be stories of such, as this is the first large (area of totality) total eclipse in the continental US in a while, IIRC... There are always people that don't know what to do, or even forget in the moment. :( is right!

And I'm sure there will be stories of such, as this is the first large (area of totality) total eclipse in the continental US in a while, IIRC... There are always people that don't know what to do, or even forget in the moment. :( is right!

99 years. Yes, it happens all over the world each time. People are blinded. It sucks but the real tragedy will be these fake solar glasses being sold and how people are relying on them to protect their eyes...shame on humanity for profiting in such a horrible way.

I am wondering if it is safe to watch the solar eclipse through the beautiful pano or all glass roof on Model S. The glass is factory tinted for UV/IR protection but not sure if it is strong enough.
ABSOLUTELY NOT unless you are wearing proper eclipse glasses in which case there is no need for you to be in your car, you should be outside.

See Safety | Total Solar Eclipse 2017

If your child cannot keep the eclipse glasses on their face then it is your responsibility to make sure they do not look directly at the sun except during the period of totality.

Reactions: Carl and pilotSteve
The amount of light attenuation needed to look at the sun is several orders of magnitude higher than anything you can look through.

If you can see through the glass at all when looking at anything besides the sun, then it isn't safe to use to look at the sun.

Conversely, just because the filter appears black when looking at something besides the sun does not mean that it is blocking enough to safely look at the sun. Follow the recommendations from the NASA link above.

Thanks for all the reply. Not planning to skip the glass but just wonder if this could be an extra level of protection for young kid. He took off swimming goggles sometimes while in the water park and that worries me a lot. Maybe I should just keep him indoor.

We have a pair of glasses for our 2 year old but we are going to do the paper hole trick to avoid teaching her that its EVER ok to look at the sun. The indirect method (hole in paper) is sufficient to appreciate what is going on.

Its hard for a 2 year old to appreciate a once in a lifetime circumstance when their lifetime is so short. This is our first, so I have no idea if that gets any easier with 2 more years of life experience and growth.

Good luck!

"I am wondering if it is safe to watch the solar eclipse through the beautiful pano or all glass roof on Model S."

The proper "sun glasses" for viewing an eclipse appear to be completely opaque when trying to view everyday things rather than looking sunward. In other words, the Tesla glass roof tinting, just like regular sunglasses, is *many* orders of magnitude too weak for *safely* viewing an eclipse.

I've built a bed in the back of my S and I'm planning on observing at least part of partial phase of the eclipse while laying there and looking up through the roof. However, as many have mentioned above, I'll be sure to be wearing approved eye protection at the time.

Good luck for good weather to all of my fellow eclipse-o-maniacs. :)

You can test how effective a particular filter is at blocking visible light. If you look through it at a bright light bulb, and it looks like a dim glow, while you can't see anything else in the room, then the filter is appropriate for looking looking at the sun with respect to visible light. That says nothing about how good it is at blocking UV or IR, of course.

Since you can see things much dimmer than a lightbulb through the glass roof, it's nowhere near good enough at attenuating visible light. Which on its own rules out its use as a filter.

Apart from professional solar filters, there are a few other options.

1) Welding helmets / goggles are well recognized as being effective for viewing eclipses. They're designed specifically to protect your eyes from bright glows from hot incandescent plasma, which is what sunlight is. Of course, if you go outside wearing a welding helmet people will look at you like you're a weirdo. ;)

2) Smoked glass (which passes the visible light test) also blocks sufficient IR and UV to be used; long ago, this was the primary means used for viewing eclipses. However, it's somewhat dangerous because the smoke coating is fragile and easy to damage, and it's hard to get the coating uniform.

3) CDs can be effective filters, as determined in testing; the reflective aluminum coating also reflects UV and IR. However, there's a huge amount of variation in how much light transmits through CDs. If you test a CD first and it passes the light bulb test, then it should be fine... but really, are you really that cheap that you'd do that rather than order glasses? ;)

A number of things suggested as filters should not be used. For example, floppy disk cores are suboptimal at blocking IR, and they distort the sun anyway. Most photography filters should not be used; they transmit way too much IR. Photographic film should not be used either.

Good to hear the professional advise! We have the certified glass. I am just worried about kid being able to have it on all time.

I did see people use photographic film when I was in elementary school in another country. Back then there was less education for sure on such topic.

You can test how effective a particular filter is at blocking visible light. If you look through it at a bright light bulb, and it looks like a dim glow, while you can't see anything else in the room, then the filter is appropriate for looking looking at the sun with respect to visible light. That says nothing about how good it is at blocking UV or IR, of course.

Since you can see things much dimmer than a lightbulb through the glass roof, it's nowhere near good enough at attenuating visible light. Which on its own rules out its use as a filter.

Apart from professional solar filters, there are a few other options.

1) Welding helmets / goggles are well recognized as being effective for viewing eclipses. They're designed specifically to protect your eyes from bright glows from hot incandescent plasma, which is what sunlight is. Of course, if you go outside wearing a welding helmet people will look at you like you're a weirdo. ;)

2) Smoked glass (which passes the visible light test) also blocks sufficient IR and UV to be used; long ago, this was the primary means used for viewing eclipses. However, it's somewhat dangerous because the smoke coating is fragile and easy to damage, and it's hard to get the coating uniform.

3) CDs can be effective filters, as determined in testing; the reflective aluminum coating also reflects UV and IR. However, there's a huge amount of variation in how much light transmits through CDs. If you test a CD first and it passes the light bulb test, then it should be fine... but really, are you really that cheap that you'd do that rather than order glasses? ;)

A number of things suggested as filters should not be used. For example, floppy disk cores are suboptimal at blocking IR, and they distort the sun anyway. Most photography filters should not be used; they transmit way too much IR. Photographic film should not be used either.