Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Beat 73 Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to see an efficiency of 73 Wh/mile, then realized that we'd just driven home from a higher altitude picnic. I'd noticed that we'd gained 2% SOC by the bottom of the hill.

1000000959.jpg

-383wh/mi.

I have a lot of experience with long downhill drives in WA. The Model Y LR battery actually gets heat soaked pretty easily and I’m quickly at 100% regen the whole time and using friction brakes through the corners.

Most of my really impressive -4k or -5k feet drives down from Rainier, Hurricane Ridge, etc top out around -115wh/mi. The battery just can’t take much more than that.

I bet in something with a spicier batter/charge curve like a Taycan you could really get great numbers down those long mountain roads.

Attachments

• IMG_8830.jpeg
    IMG_8830.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Love
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
-383wh/mi.

I have a lot of experience with long downhill drives in WA. The Model Y LR battery actually gets heat soaked pretty easily and I’m quickly at 100% regen the whole time and using friction brakes through the corners.

Most of my really impressive -4k or -5k feet drives down from Rainier, Hurricane Ridge, etc top out around -115wh/mi. The battery just can’t take much more than that.

I bet in something with a spicier batter/charge curve like a Taycan you could really get great numbers down those long mountain roads.
That nuts. I put my 18” wheels and Hankook iON EVO AS tires back on the 2024 Model 3 Performance this morning and efficiency improved dramatically.

This isn’t a loop style test but it is almost flat. I hope to get 350+ highway miles on a single charge with the 2024 Model 3 Performance when I test it next month.

IMG_7481.jpeg
IMG_7480.png
IMG_7482.jpeg
IMG_7484.jpeg

Admin(s), Can we get a PARTY POOPER emoji?
Sorry hoss, that's just how these cars work, nothing extraordinary going on. I drove 25 miles home from the Pike's Peak International Hill Climb on Sunday and used precisely 0 energy, but used 20% getting up there. If someone does a round trip of a reasonable distance and expends 0 energy, I would love to see how Tesla has broken the laws of physics.