Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you change your order after VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was assigned a VIN and even went as far as having setup the delivery date with my IDA. I later decided to change my order and got in contact with the same IDA to have my order changed RWD to AWD. I did not have to forfeit the deposit, but did get sent back to the end of the queue.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I was assigned a VIN and even went as far as having setup the delivery date with my IDA. A day later I decided to get in contact with the same IDA to have my order changed from RWD to AWD. I did not have to forfeit the deposit, but did get sent back to the end of the queue.

• Informative
Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
I was assigned a VIN and even went as far as having setup the delivery date with my IDA. A day later I decided to get in contact with the same IDA to have my order changed from RWD to AWD. I did not have to forfeit the deposit, but did get sent back to the end of the queue.
Thank you. That’s kind of what I thought. Did you get your AWD yet?

If yes, is it punchy enough? I have an S85 and like it, but, we’ll want more. When I’ve been given RWD P85 loaners, I’ve always enjoyed them.

I’m hoping the 3D will get it done.

I think it depends on what the change is. Anything that is different hardware, e.g, AWD, Performance, wheel sizes, and so on, will likely change delivery and may affect deposits and such. Anything that is software only, like adding FSD, can likely be done anytime, since it can be added at anytime. I had my VIN but 3 days before delivery I added FSD after waffling on the issue for a couple of months. The website showed a delivery delay but there was none and the VIN didn’t change. At least that was my experience.

I think it depends on what the change is. Anything that is different hardware, e.g, AWD, Performance, wheel sizes, and so on, will likely change delivery and may affect deposits and such. Anything that is software only, like adding FSD, can likely be done anytime, since it can be added at anytime. I had my VIN but 3 days before delivery I added FSD after waffling on the issue for a couple of months. The website showed a delivery delay but there was none and the VIN didn’t change. At least that was my experience.

FWIW my DA is telling me he absolutely can not add FSD now that my car is on the way- doing so would cause me to lose the car I had assigned to me and go back into the queue waiting for another car.

I pointed out this was nonsensical since it's software only, and contradicts what many others have been told/have done- he agreed with both things and then reiterated he can't add it.

My current plan is to wait until I have a delivery date assigned then speak to the actual local sales/delivery folks and see if they're any less stupid.

FWIW my DA is telling me he absolutely can not add FSD now that my car is on the way- doing so would cause me to lose the car I had assigned to me and go back into the queue waiting for another car.

I pointed out this was nonsensical since it's software only, and contradicts what many others have been told/have done- he agreed with both things and then reiterated he can't add it.

My current plan is to wait until I have a delivery date assigned then speak to the actual local sales/delivery folks and see if they're any less stupid.
Dang keep us posted !! Hopefully that comes thru at delivery for you

Yes, me too but I couldn't wait for the P up here. I find the acceleration of my RWD 3 similar to my RWD S85 except with more of a go-cart like feel.
I drove the LR3 and, like you, felt it was similar to my S85, which is nice, but having had P85 loaners, not dual motor, but still a P, I liked it. From what I remember the first P85s were low 4.2 to high 3 cars, and then Tesla gave them a bump, then the Dual motor came out and it was a mid 3 car???

I ordered the AWD thinking Tesla will beat their own specs (as they often do) on the 3D from 4.5 to maybe a 4.2-4.3 second 0-60 car and save $10K in the process. Then again, I also was banking on the AWD to to have the highest range of the bunch based on dual-motor S's. So I got that wrong :confused:.

Way too many acronyms and numbers.

Oh, and while typing this I was chatting to sales and I do have a VIN in the 60,000s assigned, and yes, I can change it, but will have to pay the extra fees that changed like for the paint (Peal White) and go back in line as if I ordered today. Sales thought that I would still get it by years end, but I actually need another car in the family as another kid is of driving age now. They'll get a hand-me-down Land Cruiser and complain about the gas milage, but it's a car.

I still may sell our S, keep the 3 as ordered and look for a P85+ for the fun car. That may change after the 3 is the stable.

Anyone want an S85 with 110,000 miles?;) But that's another thread...

I was in your exact situation, and I tried to change from RWD to AWD after the VIN was assigned. Sales advisers kept saying I would lose my deposit/configuration if I tried to change.

Eventually my car was scheduled for delivery and it failed pre-delivery inspection. Emailed/Called up my DSA and she told me that I was able to do so under the circumstance that I'd be paying extra at the new rates as you experienced but it ended up working well! I also was able to submit a referral code!

Here's a post going over some my experience. If this helps you consider my referral :D
Configuration changes after VIN assignment (lose premium connectivity)

BTW, my final purchase order shows the original configuration date of 6/30 on my AWD-P and original pricing.

Lastly, a shout-out to Fullertonians (my home city :p)

Reject the car for some minuscule flaw then add FSD. Winning! You can play the game too!

...that doesn't make any sense...

I could change it now to add FSD but then I'd be at the back of the line waiting for a new car to be matched to me.

I want the one already on its way- and just hope the folks at the dealership are smarter than the DA who doesn't understand adding OTA software shouldn't be a problem to an already built car.

Thank you. That’s kind of what I thought. Did you get your AWD yet?

If yes, is it punchy enough? I have an S85 and like it, but, we’ll want more. When I’ve been given RWD P85 loaners, I’ve always enjoyed them.

I’m hoping the 3D will get it done.
Not yet. Still waiting for my VIN. IDA told me it would likely be 3-6 weeks for CA folks (I see that you are too!).

FYI, I also called the sales line and was anything from "No it's too late to change" to "You'll lose your deposit". None of that turned out to be true. IDA certainly have the power to make things happen, provided you show respect and patience.

• Informative