Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you upgrade to full self driving after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Answer is yes.

For vehicles without Autopilot software, but are equipped with the necessary hardware, you can purchase Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability at any time through the Tesla app – and the Autopilot software required will be added to your car.

The same as before. Assuming not another Musk increase since purchase.

Things to consider if it’s a new car an hour undecided you have to pay 100% and can’t add to the lid after the fact, obviously.

Likewise insurance payment on a damaged car is going to be more “complicated” and “problematic” on a total claim if you added it afterwards instead of at time of purchase.

In US I think current “buy” price is $12,000 where on my last car was $7,000 which replaced a totaled car which was at $6,000.

Thank goodness insurance paid market price which was actually above new purchase price due to supply / demand.

FSD currently in Australia is $10,100 if purchased with vehicle. There may be extra tax (stamp duty and luxury car tax) if purchased with vehicle compared with an after sale purchase. For example if FSD purchased with M3 RWD the FSD will kot incur additional tax. But if FSD purchased with M3P the FSD incurs an additional 36.6% tax (on the FSD component)

If FSD after sales remains at $10,100 AUD, that would be a better way to go

Last edited:
It’s a software switch. Either on or off. If you purchase after the FBA t it’s just in the app. In the US anyways.

As for insurance they often ask for purchase paperwork. Window sticker, etc. Purchasing after the fact is just a charge to your card with minimal paperwork.

They often look at the purchase paperwork.

Not that you can’t do after the fact but it’s more complicated. It’s like if you swap out the factory stereo with a custom $10-20K stereo system. You have to provide the issuance company with the purchase and install paperwork. They have to agree with the numbers etc. then they have to adjust your policy with an adjustment post purchase. It’s a little easier since at least both are from Tesla.

In my previous case Tesla is problematic since they asked for window sticker which is common in US. But I told
Them that Tesla doesn’t do window stickers. Ther was also nothing on my paperwork. I had to send them screenshots from my iPhone Tesla app and Tesla car screen as proof which is not something. They were used to. They are used to official, common and decades old paperwork. In the end they accepted but had to pull local comp’s which they had a hard time finding with FSD purchased and for sale used.

In the end it worked out and I got paid more than I paid. But it’s took months and I had to pay for a loaner after 30 days as they o my cover max 30 days on any policy.

Reactions: Quickst
Side thought. I thought about purchasing in the app after the fact to avoid sales taxes on purchases. However (in US) Tesla charges the same tax(and total price) pre or post tax.

I purchased at purchase so that I could include in the loan.

However post purchase would be done on credit card so you could get points or refund up to 5% depending on your card.

93A069F8-3877-49E6-A9B5-85D60D5B0652.jpeg

Current price in AUD

It’s a software switch. Either on or off. If you purchase after the FBA t it’s just in the app. In the US anyways.

As for insurance they often ask for purchase paperwork. Window sticker, etc. Purchasing after the fact is just a charge to your card with minimal paperwork.

They often look at the purchase paperwork.

Not that you can’t do after the fact but it’s more complicated. It’s like if you swap out the factory stereo with a custom $10-20K stereo system. You have to provide the issuance company with the purchase and install paperwork. They have to agree with the numbers etc. then they have to adjust your policy with an adjustment post purchase. It’s a little easier since at least both are from Tesla.

In my previous case Tesla is problematic since they asked for window sticker which is common in US. But I told
Them that Tesla doesn’t do window stickers. Ther was also nothing on my paperwork. I had to send them screenshots from my iPhone Tesla app and Tesla car screen as proof which is not something. They were used to. They are used to official, common and decades old paperwork. In the end they accepted but had to pull local comp’s which they had a hard time finding with FSD purchased and for sale used.

In the end it worked out and I got paid more than I paid. But it’s took months and I had to pay for a loaner after 30 days as they o my cover max 30 days on any policy.
you are absolutely correct - the Insurance always looks at the invoice price of the car and subsequent add ons are a problem unless you added it to the car price, and the insurance company agreed and made an adjustment to the premiums to reflect the added cost . If they increased the premium as a result of the FSD add-on after car purchase, you are in a stronger footing to get your claim settled with FSD included.