Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty sure that regen braking is set to normal - I will check. I changed from Insane mode to Sport mode (and as Doug pointed out this shouldn't matter) and since my last charge I have driven about 30 km and I averaged 210 Wh/km while driving conservatively and in what should be ideal conditions as the morning rush hour was light and I was averaging about 90 km/h on the 401 this morning. I did have a stretch when I averaged about 170 over 10km according to the Energy screen.

Could there be something wrong with my car? Someone mentioned alignment - in early May the Lawrence SC put on my summer tires - I would assume that they did an alignment at that time.

I am pretty sure that regen braking is set to normal - I will check. I changed from Insane mode to Sport mode (and as Doug pointed out this shouldn't matter) and since my last charge I have driven about 30 km and I averaged 210 Wh/km while driving conservatively and in what should be ideal conditions as the morning rush hour was light and I was averaging about 90 km/h on the 401 this morning. I did have a stretch when I averaged about 170 over 10km according to the Energy screen.

Could there be something wrong with my car? Someone mentioned alignment - in early May the Lawrence SC put on my summer tires - I would assume that they did an alignment at that time.
We speculate sometimes but we never know for sure. They didn't let you select insane mode explicitly unless there is a good reason. While introducing insane mode, Elon said the car doesn't care about efficiency at this point. Use the car as an average person with average settings and give it a few days.

Over the last week or so I have kept the car in Sport mode and driven very conservatively. I have driven 429.5km and used 94kWh of juice which equates to 218.9Wh/km. On my daily commute to work, which is 25km, I rarely am able to average under 210Wh/km. So there is either something wrong with my car or the way I drive compared to other here, unless they are just doing highway cruising at a modest speed. Much of my driving is in stop and go traffic on Markham Rd and Hwy 401. Over the last week I have also had many short trips of only 3km or so which are likely very bad for efficiency.

My July 2015 average was 188 Wh/km. On my approx. 130 km round trip commute (80% freeway) I typically see around 160 Wh/km in this nice weather.
I pretty much never see 160 unless I have a long down hill stretch - although I did have a sub-100 stretch for the 10km graph the other day driving south on Brock Rd from Uxbridge to Hwy 401 which is fairly downhill. I wonder if having a P85D makes a difference?

I have driven 429.5km and used 94kWh of juice which equates to 218.9Wh/km. On my daily commute to work, which is 25km, I rarely am able to average under 210Wh/km

2013 Tesla Model S 85 with 60000 km on it, last 3500 km average 217 Wh/km, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all.

Then again, my Smart ED is averaging 225 Wh/km over the past 10000 km, worse than the Tesla, but that might be due to the binary driving style I have in the Smart due to the fun 0-30km/h takeoff and then cruise at 45 km/h on my city street commute...fun little car to drive, but no more efficient than a Tesla on the same route.

My averages.PNG

I thought I would share with the newer owners what to expect when the weather turns colder. I have been keeping track of my usage over the last year. December to July is this year and August to November is last year.

As you will note Feb was particularly cold here. August is a bit of an oddball too as the car was parked while I was on vacation.

I thought I would share with the newer owners what to expect when the weather turns colder.

That's an excellent idea. Every year, as the weather turns cold we get a flurry of "something wrong with my car"-type messages due to the (perfectly normal) drop in efficiency. I was fortunate in that I got my car when it was still winter in 2013 and received a more pleasant surprise when the weather warmed up. Unfortunately those who take delivery in the summer months will be in for a bit of a shock come the cold weather.

Yep, last winter was brutal! Got my car in December '14 so range had nowhere to go but up come spring. I think I was getting around 280wh/km in winter. Haven't kept detailed logs month to month but reset one of the trip meters when I changed to all season tires in March. Since then my average is 182 wh/km. I only use a/c on hot humid days and in range mode, otherwise prefer driving with the windows open. My commute is 25km and there's no plug at work so I'm still trying to figure out if it's most economical to drive fast (120km/h) in winter to use the heater for a shorter period of time, or slow and using the heater longer. Surely there's a temperature at which point it's more economical to drive fast when the car is cold soaked. I just haven't figured out what that temperature is.

My commute is 25km and there's no plug at work so I'm still trying to figure out if it's most economical to drive fast (120km/h) in winter to use the heater for a shorter period of time, or slow and using the heater longer.

LOL. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. Somewhere the lines would cross. Of course, your best bet if you have it plugged in at home is to schedule charging to complete just before you leave (warmed up battery pack), and pre-heat via the mobile app to warm up the cabin.

Out in Alberta last week I did Medicine Hat to High River at night, in warm temperatures, with an average consumption of 155 Wh/km. Three people and all their gear in the car, cruise set for 90 to 100 km/h depending on the road.

Overall, Kamloops through the mountains and out as far as Medicine Hat and back again... 2200 km. Average for the whole trip: 167 Wh/km. Only the leg mentioned above was done very carefully (limited charging options!), the remainder were typically 5 to 10 km/h over, with plenty need for the A/C.

Certainly better than the 210-ish I tend to see around town.

I've been doing that. I got the best results from charging with range mode off and then turning range mode on before my drive. Unfortunately I'd forget to turn range mode back off before charging half the time :-/

I think the impact of the heater is worse than the impact of the increase in speed.

All of this seems to depend on the length of your drive. My commute is an hour each way, and I have found that after the initial huge power gulp (if the car is cold), it will level off to near summer efficiency numbers once everything is warmed up and humming along. As such, I don't even bother with Range Mode in the winter. It doesn't seem to make much difference for me. Where it does help is on the weekend when I may just be running the odd errand here and there close to home. Range Mode seems to tame the battery pack heater quite a bit on those shorter trips.