Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Averaged 21 kWh / 100 km (210 Wh / km) over 4500 km most of this is road trips, only 100 km is local driving.

My wife took her Tesla from North Toronto to Waterloo and back yesterday evening.
Car was charged up, at more than 400 km estimated "rated" range.
She drove 250 km round trip and returned home with 140 km rated range remaining.

That is 18.5 kWh / 100 km.
The EV Trip Planner web tool said the drive would result in only 40 km rated remaining if done in -10C as the car would consume 28 kWh / 100 km.

Very glad she took the trip without me, gave her confidence to do longer trips.

She commented on the excellent visibility at night, the fact the rear view and side view mirrors reflections were not distracting, and that she got a thumbs up from a Black P85 on the way to Waterloo.

Apparently, he did a double take when he realized it wasn't a man driving a Tesla...

My take away here, is one of the key differences in efficiency is the driver, clearly, she's a good bit more efficient than I am!

My average is around 196Wh/km. I've attached a screen capture of the spreadsheet I use to track our car's performance.
lightRUNNERstats.png

I just finished my first year with my Model S 85 (Nov 14 2014 to 2015). My average with 28,000km under the wheels is 233 wh/km. If it matters I have 19 inch rims, and the factory winter tires for the cold part of the year).

It was 240 but I did road trips from Toronto to Boston, and Northern Wisconsin. The scenic route for both took me well off Supercharger routes and I was deliberately driving at 200wh/km for looooong hauls (sometimes with no heat) to arrive with 1 or 2 percent in the tank (once past 0% and a few km into the danger zone). So, that skewed my number lower than if I were a local driver only.

In other news, my full battery mileage has dropped from a career high of 424km of maximum range to 408km. My car was a demo with 16,000km but my use over the year has cost me 12km of apparently permanent battery life from the rated 420km.

Mine will be a year old in a week. S85, 19s, Montreal winter. 220 wh/km average for the year and 180 wh/km since installing four season tires in March. I'll be installing my winters soon and expect 280 wh/km for the next few months.
21500 km and getting 421 km out of a full charge.

In other news, my full battery mileage has dropped from a career high of 424km of maximum range to 408km. My car was a demo with 16,000km but my use over the year has cost me 12km of apparently permanent battery life from the rated 420km.

If you follow my pattern, you might lose a little bit more then level off. My 100% dropped to about 395 km as of a year and a half ago and hasn't changed much since then. The car is coming up on 3 years and I have 100,000 km on the odo.

I'm at 3 years this month, 52k mileage, about 408 km range.

I'll be at 3 years in a couple of months: 101,000 km / 396 Rated km @ 100% SOC / 354 Rated km @ 90% SOC / 207 Lifetime Wh/km.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you access your long term Wh/km? This was easy to get on the odo screen but this has changed with V7, unless I am not looking in the right place.

Since new, I reset Trip A each month, but have left Trip B alone. If I open the Trips Tab I can see my Wh/km numbers for both A and B. Trib B will show me my lifetime number. The dumbed-down app on the center dash no longer shows this, so you have to go in to your settings to get it.

Tesla Model S 85 on 19" stock rims, 32 months old, was originally delivered in Jan-Mar 2013 (date unsure, based on VIN).
We have no idea what lifetime values are for anything in the car, we bought it CPO in June 2015.

From summer to fall 2015 we saw 218 wh/km over the past 10000 km.
In the past few weeks, switching to winter tires and driving in colder weather, and with fixed cabin heater (thanks Tesla!) we are seeing just under 240 wh/km.

interestingly, we seem to be gaining range the more we drive the car, as delivered (CPO June 2015 at 57000 km), car charged to 407 rated km at 100%. However, last week we arrived at the supercharger having driven from Toronto to Gravenhurst, stayed overnight (no destination charging) and returning through the Barrie supercharger with 10% remaining after driving left lane speeds with the power gauge showing 160kW maximum power available. During dinner the car nearly range charged and reported 410 km at 98%. Unplugged with a smile on my face I can tell you!

Thought I'd add another data point.

23 months, 53,000km, 209 Wh/km (32,500mi, 336 Wh/mi)

A few months ago, last 100% charge netted 403km rated (250mi) 5% loss; 90% charge regularly shows 360-362km (224mi).

Hey, we're almost the same - 24 months, 51,000 km. 100% charge shows 419. I did that just yesterday to see what the figure is these days. It hasn't degraded much.

I unfortunately do not have the lifetime energy usage per km figure. With recent colder weather here and short trips it's often been 250 Wh/km; I only see a more typical 170-190 Wh/km on trips >20 km or so.