Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked they deliver to the Toronto Showroom on Lawrence Ave. I live 1km away and pick up was no problem. In hindsight, I was still charged for shipping. So, I didn't save there.

Interesting. I have been told by my Service Center (not the Yorkdale showroom - maybe that's the difference) that if I had items sent there, I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. In fact, I recently ordered and picked up a HPWC and just paid the cost and HST but no shipping.

I haven't bought the CHAdeMO adaptor but am interested in determining if the 407/Markham charger is compatible.

This new "Ver Network" charger is free till early September, but even afterwards, is conveniently located for travellers attempting to by-pass 401 highway North of Toronto.

From plugshare:

PortsCHAdeMO DCFC, SAE Combo DCFC
Stations
AddEnergieAvailable
SAE Combo DCFC, CHAdeMO DCFC
Custom Ports
SmartDC, 400V, 50 kW, 120A
Address
101 Town Centre Boulevard Markham, ON L3R 9W3 Canada
Phone
(877) 505-2674

Description

SmartDC, 400V, 50 kW, 120A You must have a VerNetwork account (AddEnergie)

FREE until early September 2015, courtesy of Nissan Canada (paid service to start mid-September)

For any users of this EV charging station, the City of Markham would love to know what your experience was like. We have developed a survey that can be found online at Electric Vehicle Survey, or if you are at the station, give us a call at the number posted at the station and we would love to come speak with you!

Yes, the Markham unit is compatible with the Tesla adaptor. In case there aren't any Tesla-specific comments on plugshare for it, there are 15 sister units in operation in Canada: One VERnetwork in Halifax, and 14 Circuit Electrique ones in Quebec.

Confirmed.

Tested it today with the kind assistance of @Chrisizzle and his Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor.

196 km of rated range per hour of charge.
34 kW
94A 380V

Downloaded the VERNetwork app for android, signed up (no cost), chose the charging station from the drop down list, hit active button on phone, then press start on the CHAdeMO charging system.

196 km of rated range per hour of charge.
34 kW
94A 380V

Glad it works, but that unit is capable of up to 125A. Unless you were in a taper zone, that site may be throttled. Either due to overall power limitations or the desire to limit peak demand charges. Typically, I get 40kW-47kW at the Quebec sites until tapering kicks in at about 75% SOC.

Last edited:
Glad it works, but that unit is capable of up to 125A. Unless you were in a taper zone, that site may be throttled.

I was well into taper zone, didn't prepare well, as the car was more than 60% at the start, and charged to 300 rated km in only 12 minutes.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hopefully not too dumb a question: I am planning on driving extensively through mid western and western US and western Canada in October. Is there any real advantage in having a Chademo adapter for that? Biggest non-SC areas look to be Wyoming and Montana, but not sure if Chademo 'plugs' the gap. I have also heard that some of the US Chademo stations don't work well with Tesla.

I was well into taper zone, didn't prepare well, as the car was more than 60%

With the CHAdeMO adapter, an 85, and the max 125A, peak power is roughly 47.5kW at 75% SOC, then tapering starts. Based on your photo, the station was throttled, at least temporarily.

- - - Updated - - -

... Biggest non-SC areas look to be Wyoming and Montana, but not sure if Chademo 'plugs' the gap. I have also heard that some of the US Chademo stations don't work well with Tesla.

Yes, unfortunately little CHAdeMO in those states. People in the regional forums for the other areas would be able to give you better advice, but two spots where the adapter appears to be useful are on Vancouver island and along the Oregon coast (if you decide to take coastal highway instead of the inland I-5.)

I just used the brand new CHAdeMO station in Magog yesterday. I was a bit disappointed to only get 35kW (and I was at a relatively low SOC).

I did note that it is a Nissan unit (printed on the front of the casing), I wonder if that may be the reason...

It did allow me to do a day trip with the family that would have otherwise been impossible, and was the first test of my adapter (with some anxiety when I first plugged it in expecting some error message).

BRCC Magog.JPG

Hopefully not too dumb a question: I am planning on driving extensively through mid western and western US and western Canada in October. Is there any real advantage in having a Chademo adapter for that? Biggest non-SC areas look to be Wyoming and Montana, but not sure if Chademo 'plugs' the gap. I have also heard that some of the US Chademo stations don't work well with Tesla.

We found no use for a Chademo adaptor along I90 or in connecting to the BC supercharger network from I90 to Golden.

I just used the brand new CHAdeMO station in Magog yesterday. I was a bit disappointed to only get 35kW (and I was at a relatively low SOC).

I did note that it is a Nissan unit (printed on the front of the casing), I wonder if that may be the reason...

That is disappointing, at a half-dozen other Circuit Electrique CHAdeMO I have always seen 118A-124A on the car's side. The unit is manufactured by ADDenergie, but Nissan is sponsoring 25 installations, so they get their logo on front.

1st 25 sites starting this year receive a contribution of $12,500-$20,000 from Nissan.
1st 50 sites receive 50% of the project cost, up to a max of $27,500, from Hydro-Quebec.

H-Q may also be giving hosts a break on demand charges, at least in instances where local municipalities are partners in the project.

Btw, the thread on Baie-Saint-Paul/Charlevoix that you started in 2013 appears to have been moved to archives, so I'll comment here:

Hotel le Germain Charlevoix, formerly La ferme, posted on fb last week that they had installed charging stations. A member of Club Tesla Quebec, Guy B, tested them last night.

2 x HPWC 80A @ 203V
1 x J1772 48A @ 207V

Six spaces reserved for the three spots, all protected by traffic barricades.
They are so new that the front desk didn't know if power was connected and if you had to be a client for access. Not yet on plugshare, Tesla|Find Us , or the car's NAV.

Last edited:
With the CHAdeMO adapter, an 85, and the max 125A, peak power is roughly 47.5kW at 75% SOC, then tapering starts. Based on your photo, the station was throttled, at least temporarily.

There were two different Model S charging at Markham the day I tried it, both were getting just under 100A.

That is interesting. Low state of charge, so "taper" is not the reason for throttled CHAdeMO charging in this case.

That is disappointing, at a half-dozen other Circuit Electrique CHAdeMO I have always seen 118A-124A on the car's side.

I hope I'll get better luck (and amps) next time I use a H-Q CHAdeMO...

Btw, the thread on Baie-Saint-Paul/Charlevoix that you started in 2013 appears to have been moved to archives, so I'll comment here:

Hotel le Germain Charlevoix, formerly La ferme, posted on fb last week that they had installed charging stations. A member of Club Tesla Quebec, Guy B, tested them last night.

2 x HPWC 80A @ 203V
1 x J1772 48A @ 207V

Six spaces reserved for the three spots, all protected by traffic barricades.
They are so new that the front desk didn't know if power was connected and if you had to be a client for access. Not yet on plugshare, Tesla|Find Us , or the car's NAV.

Thanks for the follow-up! I had seen them mentioned on Roulez Electrique, great news. Now if H-Q (or Tesla for that matter) could only get their act together and install level 3 chargers on the north shore...

There were two different Model S charging at Markham the day I tried it, both were getting just under 100A

Yet, other plugshare posts, both before and after, report > 120A at that location. They could limit power based on other loads, that is an option offered by AddEnergie. As for Magog, that is not allowed, unless the host is willing to forego about 40k in subsidies from H-Q and Nissan.

I tried to buy from Toronto SC and they told me to buy online and they have to add firmware to the car.:mad: if it was 477+ tax I would have totally picked up one.

What kind of car do you have? My understanding is that with the 60's you had to pay extra to enable Supercharging, but you could have CHAdeMO charging only enabled for less money. It should just "work" on any car with Supercharging already enabled, as far as I know.

I tried to buy from Toronto SC and they told me to buy online and they have to add firmware to the car.:mad: if it was 477+ tax I would have totally picked up one.

If you have a supercharger enabled car, it's just plug and play. There is firmware within the adapter itself, but I was told to bring the adapter to my regular service appointments to ensure the adapter firmware is up to date.

i used my adapter successfully fresh out of the box, with nothing done to the car or to the adapter.